Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Future of the LS7 V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Future of the LS7 V8

First off I think its great that the Vette and Viper has competed so strong against one another. This competition makes the car companies produce awesome cars for us enthusiasts.

Now, with the new Viper having 620hp. I think GM will need to make the C6Z06 even more lighter, or supercharge it like what they did to the limited production ZR1, to compete with this new Viper. IMO,the LS7 V8 is tapped out. I cant imagine what power numbers the Viper's V10 will make with higher flowing heads, cam plus bolt ons, 800 plus hps??

What do you guys think about the future of the LS7 motor? Thanks

Chuck
Old 12-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
First off I think its great that the Vette and Viper has competed so strong against one another. This competition makes the car companies produce awesome cars for us enthusiasts.

Now, with the new Viper having 620hp. I think GM will need to make the C6Z06 even more lighter, or supercharge it like what they did to the limited production ZR1, to compete with this new Viper. IMO,the LS7 V8 is tapped out. I cant imagine what power numbers the Viper's V10 will make with higher flowing heads, cam plus bolt ons, 800 plus hps??

What do you guys think about the future of the LS7 motor? Thanks

Chuck
I think there is still plenty of hp left in the LS7
Old 12-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

That hopped up V-10 may have more HP but what about poorer gas mileage, higher insurance rates and less reliability. Then with 6 or 800 hp that will just add to the frustration of having all that hp for the street and the same f**ked up speed limits. Personally I can't even afford the new Z06 with 500 hp. Imagine the price of a 6 or 800 hp beast and top it off that it will only drink premium.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:13 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There is no future for the LS7. Congress is poised to pass a much higher Cafe rating which will definitely effect all performance cars. The future is less displacement,better mileage and cleaner emmissions. The next 3 years will probably spell the end of the HP wars.
The following users liked this post:
prodriver (04-20-2022)
Old 12-09-2007, 03:19 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
There is no future for the LS7. Congress is poised to pass a much higher Cafe rating which will definitely effect all performance cars. The future is less displacement,better mileage and cleaner emmissions. The next 3 years will probably spell the end of the HP wars.
I tend to differ

Look at motor trend or any of those mags
the corvette gets better mileage then most economy cars
and the power to weight is
Old 12-09-2007, 03:32 PM
LGR
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
CAFE="Corporate Average Fuel Economy" note average. Dealers might have to take a couple econo-boxes to get those Z06's and ZR1's. That is how it has been done in the past. Remember the $88.00/month 4 cylinder S-10's.

Last edited by LGR; 12-09-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:42 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The econobox cars are only boasting 30+ mpg. The Vette does that on the highway. If mileage requirements go up, it will be for corporate averages not any individual cars. They'll have to start with the cars they sell the most of. Not the 35k Corvettes they build each year. I don't know what GM's total production is, I'll guess at 5 million, but even if they DOUBLED the mileage of the Corvette, it wouldn't change the corporate average by more than 2/10ths of a mpg. It's the SUV's they have to work on. People spend ridiculous money for vehicles that are ridiculously too large for their needs and wonder why the mileage is so bad.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:08 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The future capabilities of the LS-7? Look at what Katech achieves.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 PM
nag1945
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reliability

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
That hopped up V-10 may have more HP but what about poorer gas mileage, higher insurance rates and less reliability. Then with 6 or 800 hp that will just add to the frustration of having all that hp for the street and the same f**ked up speed limits. Personally I can't even afford the new Z06 with 500 hp. Imagine the price of a 6 or 800 hp beast and top it off that it will only drink premium.
The V10 gets poorer gas mileage, but the insur rates for my Z06 and my viper are the same. Big diff is reliability. You can take your viper out and beat the crap out of it day after day year after year and only replace tires and oil. You could even put slicks on it and not be afraid you will break something. Last three vettes all had clutch problems, axle probs, tranny probs, who knows how many electrical issues and even a water pump on a new 06 Z06. When you drive a viper you don't sweat things like clutch sticking to the floor or dirty clutch fluid. Six thousand on new viper no dirty clutch fluid. And then you have the GM mechanic who has to call his mother in law to even begin to fix anything. Half the chevy dealers can't even jack the car up let alone fix it.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Trawicked
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the future holds, 500CI, 600hp and 50 state emission legal. just look at the C6RS motor Katech built.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Gentlemen lets put aside the "better gas mileage" I am talking about performance only. The horsepower wars
I wanted a better gas mileage car to, so I bought a Toyota Prius for my family.

Chuck
Old 12-09-2007, 04:30 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nag1945
The V10 gets poorer gas mileage, but the insur rates for my Z06 and my viper are the same. Big diff is reliability. You can take your viper out and beat the crap out of it day after day year after year and only replace tires and oil. You could even put slicks on it and not be afraid you will break something. Last three vettes all had clutch problems, axle probs, tranny probs, who knows how many electrical issues and even a water pump on a new 06 Z06. When you drive a viper you don't sweat things like clutch sticking to the floor or dirty clutch fluid. Six thousand on new viper no dirty clutch fluid. And then you have the GM mechanic who has to call his mother in law to even begin to fix anything. Half the chevy dealers can't even jack the car up let alone fix it.
You had all those problems on a Z06 within 6000 miles?!!!!!
Your car is definitely the exception to the rule.

BTW, doesn't the Viper use the same exact tranny?
One of my best friends bought a new SRT10 and it couldn't be made to meet emissions for the 3 years he owned it.

Last edited by robvuk; 12-09-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
You had all those problems on a Z06 within 6000 miles?!!!!!
Your car is definitely the exception to the rule.

BTW, doesn't the Viper use the same exact tranny?
One of my best friends bought a new SRT10 and it couldn't be made to meet emissions for the 3 years he owned it.
how did he drive it?
Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
The future capabilities of the LS-7? Look at what Katech achieves.
they are building to different parameters than GM
Old 12-09-2007, 05:38 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it will be VERY interesting what ZR1 mileage is. Obviously, hp costs energy and the supercharger will pack more gas into the engine for more power. However, except for some I suppose, you're not going to be using all 650 hp all the time.

So with 6.2 liters to feed vs 7.0 in the LS7 perhaps, just perhaps, the mileage of the ZR1 will be pretty close to the Z06?

If that's the case perhaps GM will end up building more ZR1s than expected since it might not hurt CAFE numbers much more than the Z06?

Yes, I've seen it once before. The hp wars will be over soon...I am certain the end is on the CAD/CAM systems even now......

Any performance future for GM will be, IMO, in smaller displacement like the 6.2.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:59 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

What a silly post. First of all, the new Viper does not have 620 hp. It's 600. Second of all, GM has proven they are not going to take a back seat. So what ever it takes to be the top, GM will do it.

As for the LS7 being tapped out, it already makes so much power that tires can barely hold it. If people want more power, there is still plenty there in camshaft and porting. It's been shown that the C6 Z06 is a 10 second car in stock form, so whatever.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
What a silly post. First of all, the new Viper does not have 620 hp. It's 600. Second of all, GM has proven they are not going to take a back seat. So what ever it takes to be the top, GM will do it.

As for the LS7 being tapped out, it already makes so much power that tires can barely hold it. If people want more power, there is still plenty there in camshaft and porting. It's been shown that the C6 Z06 is a 10 second car in stock form, so whatever.
Its 620hp..

Get notified of new replies

To Future of the LS7 V8

Old 12-09-2007, 06:44 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I think it will be VERY interesting what ZR1 mileage is. Obviously, hp costs energy and the supercharger will pack more gas into the engine for more power. However, except for some I suppose, you're not going to be using all 650 hp all the time.

So with 6.2 liters to feed vs 7.0 in the LS7 perhaps, just perhaps, the mileage of the ZR1 will be pretty close to the Z06?

If that's the case perhaps GM will end up building more ZR1s than expected since it might not hurt CAFE numbers much more than the Z06?

Yes, I've seen it once before. The hp wars will be over soon...I am certain the end is on the CAD/CAM systems even now......

Any performance future for GM will be, IMO, in smaller displacement like the 6.2.
The ZR1 mileage will be comparable to the Z06. Under the same driving conditions. It of course will suck down a lot more under full throttle but that's not how the best mileage is attained. They can build as many ZR1's as they want to with no adverse affect on the CAFE numbers.

To answer John, each time he didn't pass inspection, he would get it fixed but it would only last long enough to get a pass. He finally traded it on a P car when he failed the last inspection again. It was in for numerous other repairs as well.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
Its 620hp..
Old 12-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
Looks like you missed it.