Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] CAG’s eliminator possibly causing "COLD" 2nd gear issue?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:19 AM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Default CAG’s eliminator possibly causing "COLD" 2nd gear issue?

I was reading an earlier thread about how owners of new ’08 Z’s and C6’s with cold T6060 trannies, are having hard shifts into 2nd gear and I did not want to hijack that thread.

I have the same issue with my '08 Z. One of the first things I did to the car was install the CAG's eliminator for obvious reasons. I just went over 1,000 miles and when cold, I have to be deliberate and precise when engaging 2nd. I wonder if the only folks experiencing this issue with their '08 Z’s and C6's have had or have not installed the CAG's eliminator. Some input may help so with or without CAG's eliminator and with or without issue? Please let us now.

What’s funny is that my '88 Testarossa did exactly the same thing until it got warm. I guess that the same applies to both gear boxes in that they are built to tight tolerances so that when they reach "operating temp" the gears mesh properly. Now, that’s believable in theory but, why only 2nd gear.

Like my Z, I never had an engagement issue with the TR in any other forward gears but did have a time with reverse when cold which I haven't noticed in the Z.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the CAGS disabled and mine crunches to 2nd when cold too.

Its almost like I'm not holding down the clutch and trying to engage. Rev matching, quick and "deliberate" shifts seem to be the key.

Testarossa.. was my favorite car growing up - toy car that is
And the Lambo Countach
Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

My '07 Z has had the CAGS eliminator since practically day one. With 8K miles it tends to crunch going into 2nd gear when cold. Third is similar. Once warmed up it shifts just fine. I don't remember my '01 Z shifting that way when cold, but it's been gone for a year now, so I may be forgetting.
Cheers,
Pete
Old 12-14-2007, 01:09 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on the circuitry of the skip-shift feature, it's highly doubtful that its defeat has anything to do with the cold shifting issue. My '06 is also a bit balky when shifting on a cold morning until it's been running a while.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't have CAGS yet (it is in a drawer) and I still have the cold crunch. I guess it is just the way these things are. Wait till you start hearing the grinding sound from the clutch packs when cold. The beauty is though this tranny shifts like a dream when warm. Just like a woman, you got to warm them up.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 AM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default CAG's Eliminator is eliminated...........

Well, I would have to say the CAG's Eliminator, is eliminated.

I lived with this issue for almost 7 years with the TR and to be honest, every time I took it out I just knew that I had to be patient with 2nd gear until it was warmed up.

I very small price to pay for freedom
Old 12-14-2007, 10:22 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, lots of threads on this, so here is the deal........Anyone who has ever had a metallic clutch will tell u that it engages smooth when cold, and grabs like a **** when warm/hot. The linings on the syncro-rings and cones are the same type of material, but run wet in atf (this along w/ tolerances is why gear-oil a ). If the syncro does not grab the gear and lock to it by the time the syncro-slider contacts the gear selected, u WILL get a grind. Do this too many times to forceful, and u get a tranny that pops out of gear. If u wear the syncro-ring linings, shift grind will start to occur at higher rpms and get worse from there. Hope this helps the understanding a bit. Comparing this to a M-21 or 22 would be like comparing a briggs&stratton to the LS7
Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you J_Hebert,

That makes perfect sense. Thats exactly what it sounds like.
So the syncro doesn't sync...

I typically wait till the RPMS drop to 600 (idles at 1k at startup) before I get moving. I think the only time I got the crunch loudly was when I shifted into 2nd dead cold. So this also explains why 3rd doesn't crunch as much. 1-2 is a much bigger job for the syncros than 2-3.

Ya learn something every day...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 AM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J HEBERT
If the syncro does not grab the gear and lock to it by the time the syncro-slider contacts the gear selected, u WILL get a grind. Do this too many times to forceful, and u get a tranny that pops out of gear. If u wear the syncro-ring linings, shift grind will start to occur at higher rpms and get worse from there.
So, I think it would be OK to shift from 1st to 3rd during the "Warm-Up" period to prevent excessive wear down on the syncros.

In fact, now that I think about it, I would do exactly that if I couldn't do a proper (5-10 minutes) static warm-up because it was almost impossible to shift to 2nd on the TR when cold.

Thanks

Last edited by CJ1957; 12-14-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 AM
9C1
Pro

My 2008 Z06 with just less than 500 miles, CAGS eliminator is in the bag in the storage compartment (does that count?), will not go into second cold unless I double clutch. It will take third sooner than second, but when dead cold even third is a no-no without some finesse. I'm hoping it improves with miles, and warmer weather, but I am prepared to live with it if I have to. Every car has quirks, and the good far outweighs the bad on this one.

Last edited by 9C1; 12-14-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:22 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 9C1
My 2008 Z06 with just less than 500 miles, CAGS eliminator is in the bag in the storage compartment (does that count?), will not go into second cold unless I double clutch. It will take third sooner than second, but when dead cold even third is a no-no without some finesse. I'm hoping it improves with miles, but I am prepared to live with it if I have to. Every car has quirks, and the good far outweighs the bad on this one.
It's the price we have to pay for precision-quick hot shifts, and it's worth it. I have a vid of a lift-shift w/ mine,(quick!) but my routine is not to lift at all if I don't spray
Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

My new ,11/26 build wk, 08 Z06 does not have any trouble going into second when cold, at least not down to 26 F or so which is as cold as it has been so far.

It is much better than my 06 C6 which required RP Syncromax to be even half decent even when fairly warm. The new transmission is much smoother than the old one even with the better trans fluid.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:23 PM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I have brought this to GM attention...

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
My new ,11/26 build wk, 08 Z06 does not have any trouble going into second when cold, at least not down to 26 F or so which is as cold as it has been so far.

It is much better than my 06 C6 which required RP Syncromax to be even half decent even when fairly warm. The new transmission is much smoother than the old one even with the better trans fluid.
On the BG website and the email that followed was:

Hello,

My '08 Z06 overall is great so far but there is a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold and also under normal acceleration (2500-3500 RPM). It seems to 'clunk' into 2nd. Is this a common issue with the '08's or is this a known issue and a repair/replacement part for it?

Joe

Reply:

Joe

Thanks for using the customer feedback feature. The "clunk" going into second gear is not a common complaint. I would appreciate it if you would let me know what your dealership determines it to be. That's the great thing about hearing from the customers... it helps us detect problems earlier and improve the Corvette.

Ron

Should we be worried being that at least another owner isn't experiencing this problem or do as BG-Ron suggest in that we should take it to the dealer for their analysis?

Get notified of new replies

To CAG’s eliminator possibly causing "COLD" 2nd gear issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] CAG’s eliminator possibly causing "COLD" 2nd gear issue?