Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tight Brake Pad

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:26 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tight Brake Pad

I just replace my brake pads for the first time. I used Racing Brake E700. They are a slight bit thicker than OEM. I replaced front and rear. All pads installed O.K., but on the right front a couple pads on the outside were a very snug fit to slide pad in. Pistons were pushed all the way in. Very tight to slide pad out and in. They are not so tight that I can't turn the rotor around. What's up with that. Any clues?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 PM
SkyKing421
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Almost a year ago that you posted the "tight brake pad" question.
Today I installed GM ceramics on the front of my 07 C6.
The brake pads fit too tight into the support bracket, so I filed the contact areas to make it a looser fit, but with no play. They fit in the bracket fairly easily.
My original left side pads wore out faster than the right side and I think that was the reason. I think these pads should fit loose enough to allow them to release when you come off the brake. Otherwise there is a constant slight drag that wears the pad and disc.
If you have put some milage on those new pads, you might want to check the condition.
I'll probably start a new thread about this to alert the others.
Enjoy that Vette!
Rich
Old 12-12-2008, 11:33 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that was a little while back. It didn't take long for those pads to losen up enough to be O.K., with no drag. In fact they were O.K. after they were seated in. I've gone through a couple sets of pads and a set of rotors since then. I track my car and a set of pads on the front only last about a half dozen track days or so, rear pads last twice as long.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:15 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyKing421
Almost a year ago that you posted the "tight brake pad" question.
Today I installed GM ceramics on the front of my 07 C6.
The brake pads fit too tight into the support bracket, so I filed the contact areas to make it a looser fit, but with no play. They fit in the bracket fairly easily.
My original left side pads wore out faster than the right side and I think that was the reason. I think these pads should fit loose enough to allow them to release when you come off the brake. Otherwise there is a constant slight drag that wears the pad and disc.
If you have put some milage on those new pads, you might want to check the condition.
I'll probably start a new thread about this to alert the others.
Enjoy that Vette!
Rich
I had the same problem with Hawk Ceramics a couple of months ago. I installed them on my Z06 and a friends the same day. I had to file two or three of the pads on both cars where the groove is for the pins. Wasn't too happy with that, but they seem to be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Tight Brake Pad

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tight Brake Pad