Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any way to defeat red light/speedo cameras?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any way to defeat red light/speedo cameras?

Our local government has recently gotten into traffic-enforcement-by-camera in a big, big way. We have cameras at intersections to catch red-light runners. We also now have camera monitoring of speed limits on our local highways. Cameras take pics of the license plate of the offending vehicle, then the registered owner gets the ticket in the mail. This has been tested in court, and has been upheld in every case thus far.

Short of removing my license tag, is there any proven way to defeat the cameras? I've read about these spray-on coatings for tags, but they sound like snake oil.

Thanks,
CW
Old 01-18-2008, 07:32 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by clogan
Our local government has recently gotten into traffic-enforcement-by-camera in a big, big way. We have cameras at intersections to catch red-light runners. We also now have camera monitoring of speed limits on our local highways. Cameras take pics of the license plate of the offending vehicle, then the registered owner gets the ticket in the mail. This has been tested in court, and has been upheld in every case thus far.

Short of removing my license tag, is there any proven way to defeat the cameras? I've read about these spray-on coatings for tags, but they sound like snake oil.

Thanks,
CW
Just be like me and don't put a plate on. I left the paper plate on for a year.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 PM
DOMSCOM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
CW
You need to contact an IT person. Let them build a screen cover for your plates that permit the numbers to be seen from a straight on angle, but blocks the camera's shot from above or the side. Pretty much like the commerial on tv for people using their computer in areas where other people have visual access to their screen. You might even be able to adapt one of those screen blockers. Just my 2cents. Dominic
Old 01-18-2008, 07:42 PM
LPFSTheFett
Pro

Mythbusters proved there was no way to beat those camera's.

Except if you had a Jet car traveling faster then 300mph, I think it was.

Jason
Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 PM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at these options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS1eW3QlaQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJEe6M9PdqY&NR=1

Very cool in my opinion.

Last edited by jcosta79; 01-18-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

DOn't speed and don't run red lights is a good start. Maybe contact your city officials. Start a petition. Big brothers little tax collector.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

First off: Don't buy photo blocker!!!
I bought it and it dosn't work, applied 9 coats and the stuff still gives crystal clear pictures.

I tried being a good citizen and driving with my license plates on, but the day I recived my ticket for taking a right turn on a red light, all of that changed.

The simpliest way to evade traffic cameras is this: Take the license plate off, and use the dealership plates, the police won't bother you much.

Just keep your car clean and they'll stay out of your way, most of the time it's not worth their trouble to pull you over and give you a 10 dollar ticket, but even if they do give you a ticket, it's still better than getting a 450 dollar ticket AND a point on your driver's record.

Espically with nice shiny corvettes, they'd just assume it's new and leave you be.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:50 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Depending on where you live, you might want to consider leaving the plate off.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:56 PM
HamsHall
Instructor

Default anyone who runs a red light

is an ***
Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

We also now have camera monitoring of speed limits on our local highways.
wow! first i've heard of that.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:16 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks,
CW
Hope your not talking about Chattanooga

We have red light cameras, but I haven't seen any speed cameras on the interstate yet.

augydog
Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Augy: Speedo cameras are going in at two locations on Hwy 153 soon. Other spots to follow. Heard it on the radio today, 102.3 FM.

Money grabbing? I wonder?

Hamshall: I agree with you about running red lights. But my worries are two fold: one, are the red light cameras honest, and more importantly, 2, the speedo cameras are the larger concern - driving 55 mph everywhere is gonna be tough. Especially in a 'Vette.

The camera companies get a slice of every ticket, so the incentive is going to be in the direction of more tickets. Duration of yellow light will be shortened, making it easier to "catch" those red light runners. Speedo cameras can be set to "catch" speeders at as little as 1 mph over the posted limit. Even at 2 am when no one else is on the road.

Unmanned, all-seeing, unfallible: a money machine.

CW
Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

If you run a red light, you should get a hefty ticket, one could kill someone that way.
The issues are not with cameras nailing offenders, the issues are how the cameras are calirated, and is the manufacturer of the cameras getting a piece of the fine money
Old 01-18-2008, 10:10 PM
bm bradley
Instructor

Originally Posted by DOMSCOM
You need to contact an IT person. Let them build a screen cover for your plates that permit the numbers to be seen from a straight on angle, but blocks the camera's shot from above or the side.
now illegal in California.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetteship
If you run a red light, you should get a hefty ticket, one could kill someone that way.
That's too broad a statement.

There are 2 lights I always run near me. One is a left turn arrow which isn't worth waiting for late at night. The other is one where the sensor has been broken for more than a year, since they repaved the intersection. The light for cross traffic comes on all the time now.

What about "running" a no turn on red signal when there is no other traffic anywhere?

There are plenty of times when it's perfectly safe to run a red light.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Augy: Speedo cameras are going in at two locations on Hwy 153 soon. Other spots to follow. Heard it on the radio today, 102.3 FM.
Money grabbing? I wonder?
CW
I guess that means we'll be required to have a front license plate in the future also

Thanks for the info on the speed cameras on Hwy 153, I cruise that area often.

augydog
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 PM
asian-winkie
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Anything covering the license plates are illegal in state of California, including those wonderful decorative license frame.

2.Spray may work but I think flash has to go off in order to be effective.

3. Driving 300 will still get you because of the camera 's high resolutions.

Only was you can get away with it is to drive without front plate. From my understanding they must have 3 pictures. One in front, side, and rear. Without it the ticket is not valid. The parking natzies in CA has been aggressively ticketing people without front plate. I rather pay the parking ticket and have lower insurance rate.

P.S. If you get pulled over the cops have a direct link to DMV data base and will know when the plates were mailed to you so "I never got it will not work!" Just tell them that the dealer forgot to get you the front plate bracket and it's on order.

Get notified of new replies

To Any way to defeat red light/speedo cameras?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:25 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by jcosta79
Very James Bond...the charged plate cover is cool.

This won't defeat the camera but it will remind you not to run it. Also works for the speed cameras...big database can be downloaded and updated.

http://www.speedcheetah.com/scshop/p...ps_mirror.html

Jay
Old 01-19-2008, 12:32 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Two steps to solving your problems.

1. Buy shotgun.
2. Shoot cameras

Wasn't that easy?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:48 AM
OneSickZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LPFSTheFett
Mythbusters proved there was no way to beat those camera's.

Except if you had a Jet car traveling faster then 300mph, I think it was.

Jason
Sorry, even mythbusters didn't tell us the real secret! Put a electronic plate white-out and Wlah-Lah!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Any way to defeat red light/speedo cameras?