Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Battery going dead?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 PM
mrdcars
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery going dead?

Well here we go again. I had a 2005 C6 and made it through the dead battery days, but now I have a 2007 Z06 and the battery is going dead after a week or so. The dealer says it checks out fine and the alternator is charging.

Anyone heard of any 07 battery issues with the Z06? My car is a early in the year car.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
wnorris900
Advanced

mine is an 06 but only 10K,battery would go dead after a few days,put charger on it and it would be ok for a day or two then dead.charging system checked out good,as did battery,complained to service adviser that a 70K car should make more than a few days on battery. sure enough bad cell in battery found today.new battery under warrenty.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:42 AM
vetteman24
Instructor

my car died after 4 days. My mom's car (06 Z51) died after 1 week. Its just something with the vettes. don't know what it is but there is a problem somewhere....
Old 02-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Same problem here on my 07. It checked out OK and them it would go dead. I had a dead cell. Got a new battery and the SM said I'm not taking any chances and put in a new alternator also.

Great Service at this dealer.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 AM
0Rage@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10

Same problem with my Z, dead battery after a week. GM replaced it
Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 AM
C6 2 Envy
Advanced

I had this Problem also with my 07 Zo6 and the guys at the dealership told me to put it in reverse when i parkd it...anybody else heard of this?? I havn't had anymore problems since. Hope this helps

Last edited by C6 2 Envy; 02-19-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

08 Z06 here and my battery is good for about 2 weeks before it's dead. Get a battery tender if you don't drive it a lot.

I agree. For a 70k+ car a battery should last as long as a battery in a typical car. Wonder if the XLR guys have the same problem?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6 2 Envy
I had this Problem also with my 07 Zo6 and the guys at the dealership told me to put it in reverse when i parkd it...anybody else heard of this?? I havn't had anymore problems since. Hope this helps
Supposedly this (put it in reverse) was only an issue with the '05 model of the Corvette. Maybe someone else will chime in to confirm.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 AM
BicketyBam
Racer

My dealer told me to park it in reverse as well. Battery will still die in less than a week. I bought a trickle charger for it for winter storage and it has fired right up every time. In the spring I am going to bring it in and have them check the battery cells. It's an '07 - purchased last April.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Dealer is talking . Only the 05 MUST be shut down in reverse.

Its still in the manual to park in reverse do to rolling restience. Most people park in first or rverse anyway.

Hopefully one day the engineers, and not the dam lawyers will write the owners manual.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 AM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read about a TSB for this but cannot find it. I think it requires a computer flash etc... I already have the flash (new car) so I don't know if it will happen to me. I "think" it's something that relates to the auto-arm alarm feature or windows.

I've also read about having the keys stored close to the car cause constant communication. That might just be speculation though.

It's all odd to me because in every one of my cars (haven't done it in the Vette) I can blast the radio for days while I'm working in the garage and the batteries never go dead.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a service bulletin that reqires a flash. I have had it done recently, but I can't leave it in the garage long enough to notice if it's fixed. They would not change out the battery, though. They claim that a certain code needs to come up to verify changing out the bat.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
BicketyBam
Racer

I have a custom tune in mine. Will that prevent me from bringing it to get that flash done by the dealer?

Also, this is far and away the hardest car to jump start. I've had to do it on at least 4 occasions and it was a major pain in the *** every time. I jump it just like the manual describes - on the posts under the hood. But for the first 10-15 minutes, I can't get a decent connection (No FOB light) and when I do I need to let it stay connected for a bit before it finally turns over the engine.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Hawkeye2
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Put a meter on it and check the parasitic (sp) draw.

I believe the TSB was for the auto lock and alarm feature.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:33 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

This may help you out. Note the VIN break points. Mine was built 17,000 cars after the assy line change so I did not need it.

Document ID# 1927847
2007 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Dead Battery, No Crank/No Start (Reprogram Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) #07-06-03-001B - (03/21/2007)

Models: 2005-2007 Cadillac XLR (Including XLV-V)

2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette (Including Z06)

Built Prior to the Following VIN Breakpoints:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-03-001A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Model
VIN Breakpoint

XLR

Corvette

Condition
Some customers may comment on a dead battery after the vehicle has been parked for a extended period of time. Typically, the battery will last approximately two weeks, depending on the initial state of battery charge.

Cause
A software anomaly within the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) causes an additional 30 mA draw on the battery when passive locking is enabled and the vehicle is parked.

Correction
Do This
Don't Do This

Reprogram the RCDLR.
DO NOT replace the RCDLR.

Important: Use the Pass-Thru method when programming and select "Replace and Reprogram ECU."

A new calibration has been released to correct this condition. Reprogram the RCDLR using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.

Important: On Corvette models, prior to reprogramming, remove the Radio/S-Band/VICS 15-amp fuse and the HVAC/PWR SND 10-amp fuse from the I/P electrical center (passenger floor). Also, the ignition must be in the "Key On Engine Off" mode.

If the programming does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked-up" state, DO NOT turn off the ignition, it can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (#11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds and reinstalling it. If the ignition was turned to OFF after the "locked up" condition occurred, its possible to continue programming by adding the VIN manually in TIS.

Tip
Transmitter programming and tire pressure learn procedures are NOT necessary after this reprogram.

Please refer to SI for additional information on other potential causes of battery drain.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

R9723*
Remote Control Door Lock Receiver -- Reprogramming with SPS
0.4 hr

* This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:36 PM
BicketyBam
Racer

That's awesome - thanks!

Can the dealer perform the reflash and not affect the custom tune that I currently have?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:37 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BicketyBam
I have a custom tune in mine. Will that prevent me from bringing it to get that flash done by the dealer?

Also, this is far and away the hardest car to jump start. I've had to do it on at least 4 occasions and it was a major pain in the *** every time. I jump it just like the manual describes - on the posts under the hood. But for the first 10-15 minutes, I can't get a decent connection (No FOB light) and when I do I need to let it stay connected for a bit before it finally turns over the engine.
The flash I mentioned above only reprograms the RCDLR and would not affect your ECM tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery going dead?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

If you are having any problem with your Key Fob you might as well have this done also. It will not affect your ECM tune either.

Document ID# 2048652

Subject: Occasional No Fob Detected Message On DIC Or Key In Reminder When Key Fob Outside Of Vehicle - keywords chime chirp horn no program RCDLR RKE transmitter #PIC4642A - (01/14/2008)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

This PI was superseded to add revised procedures that will recover the RCDLR when/if the RCDLR "Locks Up". Please discard PIC4642.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment of an occasional "No Fob Detected" message displayed on the DIC when the fob is located somewhere on the driver's seat.
They also may comment that the fob reminder (3 horn honks) is heard when exiting the vehicle with the key fob. This is because the original RCDLR software does not adequately cover the driver's seat and it can also detect the fob when it is slightly outside of the driver's door.
The new software will add a new zone to better cover the driver's seat, and it will also add a 2 second delay after the door closes before checking for the fob on the interior. This could affect all vehicles built prior to October 2007.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Important: Prior to programming per the information below, the Radio and HVAC Fuses MUST be removed and the ignition must be in "Key On Engine Off Mode"
The radio and HVAC fuses can be located in the BCM fuse block on the passengers floor electrical center. One of the fuses is labeled RDO/S'BAND/VICS and the other is labeled HVAC/PWR SND.

Program the RCDLR with revised software using TIS-2-WEB "Pass Through" method. When programming, it is required to select "Replace and Reprogram ECU".

Important: If the programming procedure does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked up" state do not turn off the ignition, follow the directions below...

The RCDLR can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (#11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds or longer and then reinstalling it.
Once this fuse is reinstalled in the UBEC, there will be a 2 minute window to restart the programming of the RCDLR through TIS2WEB.
Failure to restart the programming of the RCDLR through TIS2WEB within 2 minutes may cause programming to fail and this procedure will need to be repeated.
It is recommended that the Tech 2 remain connected to the vehicle and that the TIS2WEB application is open and ready to program the vehicle prior to reinstalling RCDLR fuse #11 into the UBEC.

Use Labor Operation Number R9723 with a Labor Time of 0.4

Please Note the following two items:: DO NOT REPLACE THE MODULE - JUST REPROGRAM IT. ALSO FOB PROGRAMMING AND TPM LEARN IS NOT REQUIRED.

For Model years 2005-2007, use software version 25927325.

For Model Year 2008, use software version 25927326
Old 02-19-2008, 03:29 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 8 Posts

This is not applicable to 06-08 Z's. Putting in reverse has no effect.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wbear
If you are having any problem with your Key Fob you might as well have this done also. It will not affect your ECM tune either.

Document ID# 2048652

Subject: Occasional No Fob Detected Message On DIC Or Key In Reminder When Key Fob Outside Of Vehicle - keywords chime chirp horn no program RCDLR RKE transmitter #PIC4642A - (01/14/2008)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

This PI was superseded to add revised procedures that will recover the RCDLR when/if the RCDLR "Locks Up". Please discard PIC4642.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment of an occasional "No Fob Detected" message displayed on the DIC when the fob is located somewhere on the driver's seat.
They also may comment that the fob reminder (3 horn honks) is heard when exiting the vehicle with the key fob. This is because the original RCDLR software does not adequately cover the driver's seat and it can also detect the fob when it is slightly outside of the driver's door.
The new software will add a new zone to better cover the driver's seat, and it will also add a 2 second delay after the door closes before checking for the fob on the interior. This could affect all vehicles built prior to October 2007.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Important: Prior to programming per the information below, the Radio and HVAC Fuses MUST be removed and the ignition must be in "Key On Engine Off Mode"
The radio and HVAC fuses can be located in the BCM fuse block on the passengers floor electrical center. One of the fuses is labeled RDO/S'BAND/VICS and the other is labeled HVAC/PWR SND.

Program the RCDLR with revised software using TIS-2-WEB "Pass Through" method. When programming, it is required to select "Replace and Reprogram ECU".

Important: If the programming procedure does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked up" state do not turn off the ignition, follow the directions below...

The RCDLR can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (#11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds or longer and then reinstalling it.
Once this fuse is reinstalled in the UBEC, there will be a 2 minute window to restart the programming of the RCDLR through TIS2WEB.
Failure to restart the programming of the RCDLR through TIS2WEB within 2 minutes may cause programming to fail and this procedure will need to be repeated.
It is recommended that the Tech 2 remain connected to the vehicle and that the TIS2WEB application is open and ready to program the vehicle prior to reinstalling RCDLR fuse #11 into the UBEC.

Use Labor Operation Number R9723 with a Labor Time of 0.4

Please Note the following two items:: DO NOT REPLACE THE MODULE - JUST REPROGRAM IT. ALSO FOB PROGRAMMING AND TPM LEARN IS NOT REQUIRED.

For Model years 2005-2007, use software version 25927325.

For Model Year 2008, use software version 25927326
Looks like I'll be calling the dealer soon, I drained the battery enough so the car wouldn't start on Valentines day after sitting in the car for 25 minutes with the radio/vent motor on. Talk about being pissed when I tryed to start the car and NOTHING, just a solenoid click.

I had to push start it with a parking lot pal and from then on I get this No FOB Detected message. The car was also switching to Driver Program 2 upon startup each time I started the car when I had it in Program 1 when turning the car off.

I drive the car each day so the battery is never sitting for more than 18 hours and I still have a weak battery.

Anybody try Desulfation of the stock battery to "revive" it to new condition?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Battery going dead?