Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any issues w/ jacking using a 2x4 or 2x6 from center?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Rexmobile
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any issues w/ jacking using a 2x4 or 2x6 from center?

I've read a bunch of posts/FAQ's so far but still not sure. I'm planning on getting a craftsman low profile jack, but I don't have the cross beam adapter to lift my C6 Z at the "preferred" locations on each side of the front and rear cross beams. I can only use a 2x4 or 2x6 to jack from the middle of the cross beams?

Is there any risk involved with this?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 PM
jswatek
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexmobile
I've read a bunch of posts/FAQ's so far but still not sure. I'm planning on getting a craftsman low profile jack, but I don't have the cross beam adapter to lift my C6 Z at the "preferred" locations on each side of the front and rear cross beams. I can only use a 2x4 or 2x6 to jack from the middle of the cross beams?

Is there any risk involved with this?

Thanks

I hope not because that's what I do all the time! I use a piece that spans the length of the cross member.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM
jgaches
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. 2x4 to span the length.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do it all the time. I'd use a wider board than a 2x4 though. I've used a piece of 3/4 plywood many times. You don't really need to span the whole crossmember, it is plenty strong enough to jack right from the center. I just use a thin piece of wood to cushion the al. crossmember from the jack pad.

What also works good is just put a thick towel on top of the jack pad, this way you can see and feel one of the tabs on the jack pad catch on the back of the crossmember. This may actually be better than the wood, because no way it can slip off the jack with the pad tab hooked behind the crossmember. The towel just keeps the aluminum from getting marked up.

Leave it in gear and crank the parking brake up hard. I've jacked vettes up hundreds of times and never once had the urge to buy a crossmember adapter or low profile jack. My Crafstman floor jack is probably 25 years old and works just fine.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me to, I use a 2 x 6 - 25 " long, I can set my low profile jack in the center of the board and once it's jacked up where I want it there is room enough for a Jack stand at each end.

You can use the 2 x 6 for both the front and the rear cross members, that's how I put on my headers in the driveway.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:02 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Michrider
I do it all the time. I'd use a wider board than a 2x4 though. I've used a piece of 3/4 plywood many times. You don't really need to span the whole crossmember, it is plenty strong enough to jack right from the center. I just use a thin piece of wood to cushion the al. crossmember from the jack pad.

What also works good is just put a thick towel on top of the jack pad, this way you can see and feel one of the tabs on the jack pad catch on the back of the crossmember. This may actually be better than the wood, because no way it can slip off the jack with the pad tab hooked behind the crossmember. The towel just keeps the aluminum from getting marked up.

Leave it in gear and crank the parking brake up hard. I've jacked vettes up hundreds of times and never once had the urge to buy a crossmember adapter or low profile jack. My Crafstman floor jack is probably 25 years old and works just fine.
Do you lift the back of the car with your jack under the center of the rear crossmember as well? My fear is having either the front or rear crossmember break in half when jacking up the car using the jack only in the center of the front/rear crossmember. Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by RoHo
Me to, I use a 2 x 6 - 25 " long, I can set my low profile jack in the center of the board and once it's jacked up where I want it there is room enough for a Jack stand at each end.

You can use the 2 x 6 for both the front and the rear cross members, that's how I put on my headers in the driveway.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:49 PM
jan eric
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look under FAQ's thread for additional info.

Get notified of new replies

To Any issues w/ jacking using a 2x4 or 2x6 from center?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any issues w/ jacking using a 2x4 or 2x6 from center?