Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Weight? Optima vs. OEM Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weight? Optima vs. OEM Battery

Does anybody know the weight of the OEM Battery? Does anybody know the weight of the replacement Optima Battery? They make red and yellow top Optima Batteries. I think the yellow top is better than the red top. The yellow top cost more anyway. Is there a difference in weight between the yellow and red top Optima Batteries? I'm considering an Optima Battery when it comes time to replace my OEM Battery and hope the Optima is lighter in weight. I'm thinking the OEM is probably a lighter Battery but don't know for sure. I've resisted adding any weight to my Z06 whatsoever over the last couple years. I don't want to start now. Anybody got any numbers on any of these Batteries?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by USA1C5
Does anybody know the weight of the OEM Battery? Does anybody know the weight of the replacement Optima Battery? They make red and yellow top Optima Batteries. I think the yellow top is better than the red top. The yellow top cost more anyway. Is there a difference in weight between the yellow and red top Optima Batteries? I'm considering an Optima Battery when it comes time to replace my OEM Battery and hope the Optima is lighter in weight. I'm thinking the OEM is probably a lighter Battery but don't know for sure. I've resisted adding any weight to my Z06 whatsoever over the last couple years. I don't want to start now. Anybody got any numbers on any of these Batteries?
If you're concerned about weight you may want to consider a Braille battery. Their all-season weighs 15lbs. The stock battery weighs about 35.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow! That's a big weight cut in my book. How does the Braille battery hold up in performance compared to the OEM battery? With the drain on the OEM it has a lot to be desired in performance. I'm not familiar with the Braille battery brand.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Katech_Zach

Wow! That's a big weight cut in my book. How does the Braille battery hold up in performance compared to the OEM battery? With the drain on the OEM it has a lot to be desired in performance. I'm not familiar with the Braille battery brand.

Everything is a trade off. There is less reserve capacity so the battery is worked harder to recover from each use. This could reduce battery life over a standard Delco battery. Their all-season battery is designed to be used on a more everyday basis than say their race battery (6lbs). Which could potentially be used in a street car but it would be straining.

We trade weight for reserve capacity and cranking power. You look for a happy medium such as the All season but can go to the extreme also. I just ordered mine (B2015).

http://www.brailleauto.com/
Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I just visited their web site and checked out what they have. Is the battery you ordered (B2015) a direct replacement. I mean will the original hold downs etc. work or is some modifications needed?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Katech_Zach

Optima batteries do not have a significant weight savings, but offer superior vibration resistance. The red top is for standard automotive use. The yellow top is for vehicles with extreme sound systems that draw power from the battery when the bass hits and the amp draws more power than the alternator can supply. The yellow top can quickly recover from this and do it over and over without reducing the life of the battery. It is also more resilient to deep cycling, although not a deep cycle battery. The blue top is a deep cycle for marine and other uses.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Katech_Zach

I just visited their web site and checked out what they have. Is the battery you ordered (B2015) a direct replacement. I mean will the original hold downs etc. work or is some modifications needed?
I anticipate minor modifications to the hold down. I'll be able to give more feedback after I install it.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Katech
I anticipate minor modifications to the hold down. I'll be able to give more feedback after I install it.
Yes, please keep us informed. I think I'll go this route when it comes time to replace my battery particularly if the Optima battery weighs about the same.

I noticed you had traction problems in your signature. You will have even more of a traction problem after removing 20 lbs. from over your rear wheels.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Katech_Zach

Yes, please keep us informed. I think I'll go this route when it comes time to replace my battery particularly if the Optima battery weighs about the same.

I noticed you had traction problems in your signature. You will have even more of a traction problem after removing 20 lbs. from over your rear wheels.
LOL, yes. My primary concern is not drag racing.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:25 AM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Everything is a trade off. There is less reserve capacity so the battery is worked harder to recover from each use. This could reduce battery life over a standard Delco battery. Their all-season battery is designed to be used on a more everyday basis than say their race battery (6lbs). Which could potentially be used in a street car but it would be straining.

We trade weight for reserve capacity and cranking power. You look for a happy medium such as the All season but can go to the extreme also. I just ordered mine (B2015).

http://www.brailleauto.com/
Just curious,

If you use a battery tender with the Braille battery on a regular basis, would it be as reliable as the factory battery?

In other words, if your out and start and stop the car 5 or 6 times during the trip, will it be able to start it the last time?

augydog
Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

20lbs is a BIG deal from just a battery swap.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:21 AM
ayousef
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another suggestion is, go to the gym for a month and loose a little extra unwanted body fat lol, youll end up healthier as well.

Makes me think of posting a poll on the weights of Z06 drivers, and since its a poll it will be confidential, why? I have experience with the Z06 and how it responds to weight!

so im saying 20lbs from the battery, lighter wheels, lighter brakes, driveshaft, racing seats, a LITTLE carbon fiber goodies, lighter (stainless steel) exhaust/headers could themselves add a good deal of speed.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, cutting weight is the same as adding horsepower. I don't do any modifications to my Z06 unless it keeps the lbs/hp ratio the same or less. Some people do the modifications that don't add hp but add weight, such as appearance or cosmetic modifications, not good. GM went through a lot of engineering on this car to reduce weight within cost restrictions. They could have cut weight more but the cost of the car would have been more.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by augydog
Just curious,

If you use a battery tender with the Braille battery on a regular basis, would it be as reliable as the factory battery?

In other words, if your out and start and stop the car 5 or 6 times during the trip, will it be able to start it the last time?

augydog
I will find out. I use a battery tender in the winter.

Originally Posted by Hatdude
20lbs is a BIG deal from just a battery swap.
Yes, it is. It is a LOT of weight reduction for a small price. $7.95/lb.

Originally Posted by ayousef
another suggestion is, go to the gym for a month and loose a little extra unwanted body fat lol, youll end up healthier as well.

Makes me think of posting a poll on the weights of Z06 drivers, and since its a poll it will be confidential, why? I have experience with the Z06 and how it responds to weight!

so im saying 20lbs from the battery, lighter wheels, lighter brakes, driveshaft, racing seats, a LITTLE carbon fiber goodies, lighter (stainless steel) exhaust/headers could themselves add a good deal of speed.
I'm 6'3" / 165lbs. If I lost 20lbs I might die.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Live2Redline
Burning Brakes

If you just care about weight this is also 15 lbs and they work great. PC680 http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680series.htm
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

I will find out. I use a battery tender in the winter.

Yes, it is. It is a LOT of weight reduction for a small price. $7.95/lb.

I'm 6'3" / 165lbs. If I lost 20lbs I might die.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Live2Redline
If you just care about weight this is also 15 lbs and they work great. PC680 http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680series.htm
I think the pc680 series is basically a motorcycle battery, not sure it would hold up in a 7.0L car. Their car batteries are much heavier than OEM battery, although their car batteries would probably perform better than OEM as far as starting and drain.

Get notified of new replies

To Weight? Optima vs. OEM Battery

Old 03-13-2008, 02:24 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

The all season battery works fine. All of their batteries will need minor modif to hold them down. No big deal.
A battery tender connected will help keep the battery working correctly.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:05 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robz
The all season battery works fine. All of their batteries will need minor modif to hold them down. No big deal.
A battery tender connected will help keep the battery working correctly.
Is that the Braille B2015 all season battery you are talking about?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Pistol Champ
Instructor

I have a braille battery from a supporting vendor http://www.bowmanized.com It is only 11.5 lbs.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Weight? Optima vs. OEM Battery