Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New 2008 Z06 - Dead Battery.....what's going on??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:46 PM
=TheStig=
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My key FOB is over 60 yards away from the key....on the other side of my property in my garage.......it's IMPOSSIBLE for the key fob to be interfereing.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Joe C5
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All very interesting information. Of course the only real way to figure out what is going on would be to get a DMM which has a PC connection or long term logging capability (like the Fluke 289) with a DC ammeter (current clamp). Then we could see what is happening on the cars which have a problem (but not the cause). I could check mine, but since it does not exhibit the problem, it would not do much good I'm afraid (plus the current clamp I have only goes down to 1A).
Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieR
To all and Obzidian...

NOTE: I use my Z every day...so therefore, I was big time pissed and perplexed when I couldn't start the $79K Plastic POS, (Sorry boys)!!!!

Back to the point....I have a cousin and a nephew who work at GMBG and confirmed what obzidian has posted.

Cheapie non-dependable batteries...some are better than others ... by luck of the draw...all this trickle charger, reprogramming options crap shouldn't be necessary with a decent battery....the reason (IMHO) that there is no TSB for the sub-standard '08 Z batteries is purely $ avoidance by Chevy. It is true that keeping the fob a distance away (>25') will prevent the "wireless hunt" mode.

That was confirmed this morning.

So now, the "Mysterioso" is 92.44%
solved.

Again, IMHO!!

Bernie

Bernie,

Just as we discussed. The battery in the Z is a real POS. The cells will just drop dead when you need them the most. Most dealers will test the charging system which will show that current is being outputed, but the battery's are not holding the charge. Many shops don't know how to properly "load test" a battery. The charging system is now regulated by the PCM. If you observe your DIC showing unusually high voltage levels, it might indicate the charging system is working overtime to fill a battery that won't hold the charge.

When we do PCM tuning on 06-07's we always update the operating system to the latest version which addresses the earlier battery drain. The Z's issue is compounded by the crappy battery.

Howard
Old 03-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Erix
Pro

Whether the battery is cheap or not, they are fairly simple and in a mostly new state are also either good or bad. A bad one will crap out and stay dead early on. Overtime they do loose the ability to go to full charge and will drain down quicker but thats not whats going on here.

If a battery can be recharged, was correctly load tested and maintained sufficient amperage during the the test, then the battery is not the problem. Batteries not exposed to some odd extreme simply cannot statically fully discharge in such a short period.

Assuming the shop properly tested the batter in this case, there was a drain on the battery sufficient to kill it. Thats it.

Finding what did it....now thats the thing.

Personally when I first got my 08, I didnt realize all you had to do was accidentally bump the little dimmer switch when exiting and it turns on your courtest lights (under the mirror). I first did it during the day so I did not see the lights on. Several hours later after nightfall I went out into the garage to get something out of the freezer. I was wondering what my lights were doing on. I found it was the dimmer. I played with it and was amazed at how little of a touch it took to turn it on. I was blown away that that one system is specially excluded by the batter protection programming that turns everything off after 15min (or whatever the threshold was).

I later found on the forum that several folks had done the same when they first got there cars after searching posts. In that scenario, during the day you simply cant see those mirror lights on. And depending on the state of the charge it can take less time then you may expect and sooner then you may notice such a thing on if you dont see it during the dark.

Not saying there could be a better battery, but my car sits for 2-3 weeks at at time (sad but true) and I have yet to go out to a dead battery. Maybe I got lucky, but many times there are simply answers versus unsolvable mystery.

Ok....I hope I didnt just hex myself saying that and go out to find a dead batter next time I drive the Z
Old 03-17-2008, 03:44 AM
xomerlin
Intermediate

Car wont start if garage door motor is plugged in...

i read this on another thread and found it very interesting
Old 05-10-2008, 07:42 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I've been struggling with this problem since my 06-Z06 was new.

I only drive it on sunny weekends, which can be weeks apart. After 5+ days, I would always be greeted with a dead battery.

I thought I had resolved the problem by leaving the trickle charger on the car all the times.

I had the car out to a cruise night 2 weeks ago Thursday and inadvertantly did not connect it up to the trickle charger when coming home.

I tried to start it 5 days later and N/G. Charged it and it was fine.

Today I took it out of the garage to wash and clean interior, FOB was in my pocket for the 3 hours I was working around the car, went to start it to move back in the garage and the battery was dead.

This is rediculous!! I am so sick and tired of the bull**** electronics on this car!!! The same crap happens when I go to a car show and sit around the car all day long with the FOB in my pocket.

GM installed the Cadilliac electronics in the Vette. Hum uh guys you forgot; Cadilliac owners dont go to car shows and cruise nights!!

My Viper sits in the garage for weeks and weeks at a time and always starts without a hitch.

The battery goes dead in our 07 Tahoe if the radar detector is left on overnight.

We regularly leave the radar detectors on in our Explorer and Excursion for a week and they start fine.

GM You really neeed to be paying attention to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So do I let GM supply me with another POS battery for free or go out and spend my own $$$$ for a Die Hard or ??????
Old 05-10-2008, 08:07 PM
extents
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Same exact problem as you. Had my 08 for less than a week and the battery died. Regardless if it is actually electrical issues, which I doubt, get a new battery anyway.

I got an Odyssey pc1200mjt, not ONE problem since. Because the C6 is electrical out the a$$, you need a heavy duty battery. Don't see a better performing battery than the Odyssey. And I've had an Optima Redtop before and it was a POS.

Just do yourself a favor, get a new battery and it's a done deal.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:07 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by extents
Same exact problem as you. Had my 08 for less than a week and the battery died. Regardless if it is actually electrical issues, which I doubt, get a new battery anyway.

I got an Odyssey pc1200mjt, not ONE problem since. Because the C6 is electrical out the a$$, you need a heavy duty battery. Don't see a better performing battery than the Odyssey. And I've had an Optima Redtop before and it was a POS.

Just do yourself a favor, get a new battery and it's a done deal.
Extents

I looked around and could not find anyone that sells the Odyssey around me. I went to Sears and got the specified Die Hard and the hold down bracket and the vent did not fit! Spent the day screwing around and eventually returned it. Did the Odyssey fit correctly in the Z06, including the hold down bracket and vent tube?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06LINK
I hard wired the leads to a battery tender plus in my Z. Pigtail comes out right above the license plate. Just park it in the garage and plug it in--- All is cure and no worries.
I just did the same install with some helpful hints from Z06LINK. This is very cool and allows you to just plug the car in whenever necessary without leaving a door, window or trunklid popped. This is definitely the way to go.

Thanks for the great idea and the help!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leadking
I was at my daughter's house and parked my '07 out in front. Got out and the car was giving me alarm bells (I had turned on the accessory switch) I hit the switch and saw no lights and assumed everything was ok. Playing catch with the grandkids, I notice the back up lights were on. I go over and take the car out of reverse and all seemed well until I went to leave. Dead as a doornail. I assumed with the remote when you leave the car it turns everything off... apparently not. With all the bells and whistles on this thing and a very unclear manual, I'm sure this will happen again.
I saw this exact thing happen at the dealership when I picked-up my car. The car had the backup lights on but nothing else was on in the car. It basically killed the battery.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:47 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by NorCalDelta
Mine's gone DOA several times in my '06, once requiring a AAA boost to get me back to the dealer. The kept it two weeks, did some TSB update, verified that the battery was Ok, then it happened again a week later. After toasting it pretty good with the charger @home, I reprogrammed the preferences to remove passive locking and passive unlocking. Now a month later it's still going strong and holding without a glitch....
As many have stated, I too have just learned that leaving the pass locking systm on, drains the bat.

I did not have an issue, still turned it off.

Ed
Old 06-07-2008, 02:25 PM
wurk_truk
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

My 06 C6 vert was really a PITA, until new battery install.

Actually the Z may sit 10-14 days and I have yet to have a problem with it.

I think it IS the battery lottery thing. New batt in the C6 and no more problems.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Having read all these post about DBS, I decided to install the Ray Kawal battery charge port just above the license plate. Finished it last night.

I am completing the write-up now (it is VERY detailed with lots of pictures). I spent a lot of time searching for just the right plugs and then making a template for the sheet aluminum I used for the bracket.

Since my car will probably sit for a while in the winters, I think this is a good solution, especially if it is covered in the garage, as my wife wants.

I'll try to get this posted in the next week or so.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 AM
JeffWarren
Cruising

All,

I have a new 08 Z06 - picked it up 10 days ago........left for a 1 week Hilton Head Island vacation only to return to a dead battery also. I did not leave any lights on in the car. Bummer.......Roadside Assistance couldn't start it. I have a charger on it now and we'll see if it starts later today. Sounds like I should leave the FOBs away from the car (25 feet or more) if this doesn't work turn off passive lock/unlock, if that doesn't work replace the battery. I agree that a tender should not be required and I do not want to go that route either. I hate the idea of bring in an $80k car during week two to have several Goodwrench guys start climbing all over it.

My last 2001 Corvette had the high oil consumption issue - had to change out the rings...............if this is another lemon I will hand it back to GM.

Jeff
Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Etrain
Instructor

My dealer told me when I bought the car to leave it in reverse when it's parked, I have left it parked in reverse for up to a month at a time and never had a dead battery...GL, hopefully you get this matter sorted.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:02 PM
joe delgado
1st Gear

Default frustrated

[QUOTE==TheStig=;1564551816]Hey guys,

My new Z06 sat in the garage for 5 days......and the battery was stone dead. What is going on with this issue? Any ideas what could be causing this? How can I fix this, is there a TSB or soultion?

Does changing the battery to an Optima or other brand work?

I think it's pretty rediculous that a car as high performance, and high $$$, would have such a drastic issue. Any information you can supply would be greatly appre

I have the same problem.Can you tell me what you found out to fix this isssue.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:53 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Etrain
My dealer told me when I bought the car to leave it in reverse when it's parked, I have left it parked in reverse for up to a month at a time and never had a dead battery...GL, hopefully you get this matter sorted.
The requirement to park the car in reverse to avoid battery drain only applied to the 2005 model. On your car there is no relationship between reverse and battery drain. It takes GM dealers a decade or two to catch up.

Get notified of new replies

To New 2008 Z06 - Dead Battery.....what's going on??

Old 05-08-2010, 05:00 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

[QUOTE=joe delgado;1574004528]
Originally Posted by =TheStig=
Hey guys,

My new Z06 sat in the garage for 5 days......and the battery was stone dead. What is going on with this issue? Any ideas what could be causing this? How can I fix this, is there a TSB or soultion?

Does changing the battery to an Optima or other brand work?

I think it's pretty rediculous that a car as high performance, and high $$$, would have such a drastic issue. Any information you can supply would be greatly appre

First, be sure you have no cell phone chargers or other items left plugged in. These cars have a small drain to maintain the systems. You have no profile so I don't know anything about your car. Normally, it depends on your battery state when you park it as far as how long it will last without being driven. I recommend a battery tender on the car if it is not going to be driven for a while. I hook mine up if I know it is not going to be driven the next day or longer. Changing the battery brand will not cure this in and of itself.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:15 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by joe delgado
[
So this thread gets risen from the grave after two years
The main problem with the factory battery dying is most of the Z06s have sat on a lot for several months before being bought new. Unless they are used every few days, the battery will die. Replacing the battery will usually solve the issue, however since I have been driving my Z less in the last 3 months... the battery has lost its charge if I do not drive it at least once a week.. Even with a new battery. My previous car was a Mustang Cobra which I had for 15 years... that car would lose the charge after two weeks. I think modern cars have alot of electronics... they dont like to sit. Thats my 2 cents.
Get a battery tender if you are not going to drive the car regularly.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LINK
I hard wired the leads to a battery tender plus in my Z. Pigtail comes out right above the license plate. Just park it in the garage and plug it in--- All is cure and no worries.
You shouldn't need a battery tender. My 05' coupe has a 5-year battery that works fine..even after a month of inactivity. My Z...fugettaboutit.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New 2008 Z06 - Dead Battery.....what's going on??