Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Street Legal???

Old 03-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Sharky99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street Legal???

I talked with a few tuners (Lingenfelter included) and I might be naive but if I get a car back with the engine light on and the PCM kicking up codes for the cats because of long tubes and high flow cats how am I gonna have it pass emissions???????????

Greg
Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they do this right, you will have no codes.......they can be turned off......
Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Hmm, that's something I haven't thought of.(subscribing for the answer)
Old 03-24-2008, 06:26 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be exact, it is illegal to replace OEM cats with anything but OEM cats and ONLY if they fail. Yes, this technically makes all headers, "high flow cats" or not, illegal.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:34 PM
stabori
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by McMung
To be exact, it is illegal to replace OEM cats with anything but OEM cats and ONLY if they fail. Yes, this technically makes all headers, "high flow cats" or not, illegal.
Actually it is illegal to replace the factory cats if still functional
or to move then from their origional position. After maket cats are fine. All long tube headers move the cats to a more distant location so that in itself is illegal.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:35 PM
jfreez
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Sharky99
I talked with a few tuners (Lingenfelter included) and I might be naive but if I get a car back with the engine light on and the PCM kicking up codes for the cats because of long tubes and high flow cats how am I gonna have it pass emissions???????????

Greg

A lot of this is going to depend upon what state the car is in. Here in CA you just cant do that and get past smog.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be surprised if there is ANY state that has smog rules that would pass a car with an illuminated CEL - end of story. In many (most?) states the DTC's would not be noticed.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

It doesn't matter what state you are in. It is illegal for a shop to remove the factory catalytic converter. Period. This is a federal law. It doesn't matter if you replace it with an aftermaket catalytic converter. It doesn't matter if it passes smog in the state you are in afterwards. Simply by removing the catalyst the shop is breaking the law and subject to a $25,000 fine and the possible shutdown of their business.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
It doesn't matter what state you are in. It is illegal for a shop to remove the factory catalytic converter. Period. This is a federal law. It doesn't matter if you replace it with an aftermaket catalytic converter. It doesn't matter if it passes smog in the state you are in afterwards. Simply by removing the catalyst the shop is breaking the law and subject to a $25,000 fine and the possible shutdown of their business.
BINGO. Shops that change the location of catalytic convertors run a significant risk........................UNLESS...... ............they apply for, and receive an EPA exemption number. All EPA exemption numbers are on packages with stock cats in stock positions. The LPE 350/368 cid LT5 packages and magnuson packages have this approval. This is why you'll see some of the bigger shops refusing to install headers on your ride when you take it from them. This is up to smaller shops or you in your back yard. The EPA hasn't been nasty about this in a while, but with more and more ricers removing cats altogether and mufflers too, the crackdown can always return.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:54 PM
mrm
Instructor

Given that and if the statement in another post above that they cannot be "moved" is also true, are there any sets of headers available that are "street legal" for the C6 Z06?

- Mark
Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by mrm
Given that and if the statement in another post above that they cannot be "moved" is also true, are there any sets of headers available that are "street legal" for the C6 Z06?

- Mark
Not at the moment. We need headers with a CARB (California Air Resource Board) EO number(Executive Order).
Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Sharky99
Racer

Lingenfelter told me that the check engine light will be on and codes will kick up.

I know Florida where all of my cars were registered before,
has NO INSPECTION & NO EMISSIONS.
I'm going to change my plates to FLA again.

Greg
Old 03-24-2008, 08:02 PM
mrm
Instructor

Not at the moment. We need headers with a CARB (California Air Resource Board) EO number(Executive Order).
That's what I would have guessed, thanks for the quick response Jason!

- Mark

P.S. Do you guys make it out here for the Laguna Seca ALMS race?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by mrm
That's what I would have guessed, thanks for the quick response Jason!

- Mark

P.S. Do you guys make it out here for the Laguna Seca ALMS race?
We have staff at every race. I don't go to Laguna, but I'll be at Mid-Ohio and Detroit, maybe Petit Le Mans.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
BoilerRxC6
Pro

Originally Posted by Sharky99
Lingenfelter told me that the check engine light will be on and codes will kick up.

I know Florida where all of my cars were registered before,
has NO INSPECTION & NO EMISSIONS.
I'm going to change my plates to FLA again.

Greg
My LPE car had a CEL on after installing the headers. The aftermarket cats don't generate enough heat and spark the code. LPE will not delete the codes for you. You have to do that yourself. I used a friendly shop's TECH 2 and deleted the code.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
TehZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a Lingenfelter representative did indeed tell you this, then it's worse over there than I had gathered.

I can tell you, with experience on MULTIPLE C6's, that there is no need for the codes you mentioned. The codes/lights can all be disabled (through the computer)!

I recommend that you find a different tuner for your mods.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by BoilerRxC6
My LPE car had a CEL on after installing the headers. The aftermarket cats don't generate enough heat and spark the code. LPE will not delete the codes for you. You have to do that yourself. I used a friendly shop's TECH 2 and deleted the code.

If you delete the code it will just come back the next time the PCM runs the test. You have to use LS2edit or HPtuners to turn the diagnostic process off for that DTC. By doing this you are defeating an emissions control device and once again, illegal.

Get notified of new replies

To Street Legal???

Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
BoilerRxC6
Pro

If you delete the code it will just come back the next time the PCM runs the test. You have to use LS2edit or HPtuners to turn the diagnostic process off for that DTC. By doing this you are defeating an emissions control device and once again, illegal.
Didn't realize this! Thanks. I guess I'm gonna have to find a way to turn it off then! Although, it's been quite a while now and it hasn't come back on?????
Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TehZ
If a Lingenfelter representative did indeed tell you this, then it's worse over there than I had gathered.
WTF does this mean? Do you live in China? What did you gather?

If telling someone that the headers they installed will trip a code makes them a bad tuner................then all the tuners on this board are bad tuners by your math.

Does this gather?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Sharky99
Racer

I found out from LPE that all of their packages come back WITHOUT any check engine light or codes.
The Z06 is the only one that does and it can be taken care of with software you can do yourself, because if "they" do it it's illegal.

Greg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Street Legal???