Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Gtr Vs Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 AM
RichardT
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Gtr Vs Z06

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/04/f...9-nissan-gt-r/

no 10 feet.............. 3 car lengths
Old 04-06-2008, 06:07 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardT
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/04/f...9-nissan-gt-r/

no 10 feet.............. 3 car lengths
Sounds like a good time!

Was the race as quoted by the GT-R driver wrong?

Did the driver give you an explanation of how he did not have time to put the GT-R in the correct “launch mode” or at the correct RPM’’s for a successful launch and that he hesitated at the line before taking off?

I’m just curious if that is how the conversation went when you met up in the parking lot afterwards.

I do beleive the Z06 will beat the GT-R in a drag race but I also know form experience that an awd car on the street is coming out of the hole first with a good driver in each car with both on street tires.

I have a highly modified awd Evo and my modded 07 Z06 and the Evo always comes out on top out of the hole everytime no problem and we have tested it with different drivers in both cars. On a drag strip with DR's on the Z06 I think it would be about even based on the best 60ft's I've seen on the Z06 fast list.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:23 PM
RichardT
Racer

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Sounds like a good time!

Was the race as quoted by the GT-R driver wrong?

Did the driver give you an explanation of how he did not have time to put the GT-R in the correct “launch mode” or at the correct RPM’’s for a successful launch and that he hesitated at the line before taking off?

I’m just curious if that is how the conversation went when you met up in the parking lot afterwards.

I do beleive the Z06 will beat the GT-R in a drag race but I also know form experience that an awd car on the street is coming out of the hole first with a good driver in each car with both on street tires.

I have a highly modified awd Evo and my modded 07 Z06 and the Evo always comes out on top out of the hole everytime no problem and we have tested it with different drivers in both cars. On a drag strip with DR's on the Z06 I think it would be about even based on the best 60ft's I've seen on the Z06 fast list.

The other driver was not able to use his launch control. I had a 2000 rpm launch with a little tire hop. I got him off the line and half way through 2nd I looked back and had him by about 2 car lenghts. When I shifted to 3rd it was 2 and a half to 3 car lenghts. It stayed the same up to about 110 when I hit the brakes so hard a large bag of clean rags I had in the back hit my right shoulder, fairly hard! On after thought, this was stupid on my part-he could of slammed into the back of me!

The driver I had a great conversation in my driveway. He admitted to not having the launch control down pat. He had a lot of time though...... He wanted to go but a school bus was coming at us. I told him to wait until it passed as there was no one else behind it.

With the fairly similiar power, and 4 wheel drive, with a 5,000 rpm launch he should be able to get me off the line and then I should be able to tie him at the end of the qtr mile. Yet, the question still arises, does the GTR compensate for altitude? If so, at sea level instead of 5,000 or 5,000 ft elevation where this all occurred, the Z would of smoked him!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 PM
raj
Drifting

Originally Posted by RichardT
Yet, the question still arises, does the GTR compensate for altitude? If so, at sea level instead of 5,000 or 5,000 ft elevation where this all occurred, the Z would of smoked him!
Looks like the first of many impropmptu street runs to come!

The fact that your run was at 5000 ft. altitude puts a different perspective on the comparison. Indeed, turbo powerplants enjoy a massive advantage at high elevations as the boost that they build is independent of the barometric pressure. At 5000 feet, normally aspirated engines such as the LS7 lose around 17% of their power no matter what; turbo engines on the other hand lose a much smaller fraction - a fraction that is dependent on how much boost they are set up to develop. If the GTR's twin turbos develop 10.7 psi of boost, a back-of the-envelope calculation suggests that the total power loss may only be ~10%, giving it a significant advantage at that elevation. If the cars were close under those circumstances, the Z06 would walk the GTR at sea level, consistent with the numbers from R&T's recent comparison.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:15 PM
RichardT
Racer

Originally Posted by raj

The fact that your run was at 5000 ft. altitude puts a different perspective on the comparison. Indeed, turbo powerplants enjoy a massive advantage at high elevations as the boost that they build is independent of the barometric pressure. At 5000 feet, normally aspirated engines such as the LS7 lose around 17% of their power no matter what; turbo engines on the other hand lose a much smaller fraction - a fraction that is dependent on how much boost they are set up to develop. If the GTR's twin turbos develop 10.7 psi of boost, a back-of the-envelope calculation suggests that the total power loss may only be ~10%, giving it a significant advantage at that elevation. If the cars were close under those circumstances, the Z06 would walk the GTR at sea level, consistent with the numbers from R&T's recent comparison.

As I mentioned on my earlier post, my son said his WRX has more boost, about 2 or 3 lbs more at my home. I live on the base of Mt Rose at about 5,250 ft elevation. This means that my car lost 3% hp for every 1,000 ft, or I lose about 80 hp at my home. My K&N intake/filter is supposed to give me 29 rwhp at sea level, or about 24 hp at my home. This mean I have about 390 to 395 hp..... Now you see why I plan on visiting LG Motorsports asap....! Do the math too. I would look forward to a match at sea level
Old 04-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Viscerl
Burning Brakes

I can't say how the GT-R boost controller works, but the STi I had always made boost relative to the "absolute" sealed atmosphere in the boost controller from a (hopefully high pressure) day in Yokohama, Japan.

I suspect Nissan has a similar system. That would confirm that within the bounds of turbo efficiency (which is relative to the pressure in vs. out) the car is making similar power up at a higher altitude, but not identical.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Topless
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by raj

And the LAST one that will be mentioned here.

Get notified of new replies

To Gtr Vs Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Gtr Vs Z06