Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Using Pledge to Clean Exterior

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:32 AM
adamante82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Pledge to Clean Exterior

Yep..Pledge. I've read about it in a few places but the info is sketchy on how well it would clean the exterior paint of our car.

I am using Pro Honda spray right now. It has been discontinued by Honda but that stuff was AMAZING. I really really like it. So in my google search I found people who used Pledge.

Does anyone know anything about this? Good idea? Bad idea??
Old 04-13-2008, 02:53 AM
mengwork23
Intermediate

what's in pledge anyways? i heard it has some wax stuff
Old 04-13-2008, 03:26 AM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check with these folks. http://www.autopia.org/

Old 04-13-2008, 04:51 AM
Slingblade
Instructor

Sure why not. I Zaino my furniture all the time.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:54 AM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Slingblade
Sure why not. I Zaino my furniture all the time.
That was funny
Old 04-13-2008, 07:36 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

A detailer's trick from 30 years ago....
you can also use kerosene.... another detailer's trick from the 'old days"
Old 04-13-2008, 07:37 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

a club member Zaino's his John Deere lawn tractor....
Old 04-13-2008, 07:39 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

huh? what??
Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 AM
=TheStig=
Instructor

I zaino'd my Cub Cadet riding mower. *bling bling*
Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Z06Gates
Instructor

Originally Posted by adamante82
Yep..Pledge. I've read about it in a few places but the info is sketchy on how well it would clean the exterior paint of our car.

I am using Pro Honda spray right now. It has been discontinued by Honda but that stuff was AMAZING. I really really like it. So in my google search I found people who used Pledge.

All I can tell you is that we use it on my brother's DIRT Pro stock. Mind you it is a dirt car and after one race the paint is of little concern. After a couple races even the body is of little concern. The reason we use it is because it repells dust and its cheap. It does make the car shine which makes it look great from the stands. As far as using it on my Z06, not a chance! I just found a forum vendor called classic motoring accessories that has some great products and detailed how toos on buffing and waxing. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from them and would suggest at least looking at them. I can tell you I started using Maguiars detailer last year and it works great. I have heard a lot of people talk about the Zaino stuff. Could someone chime in and tell me more about their stuff.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Bigbucks
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouln't be any problem at all. When I was into motorcycles years ago, all us Goldwing owners used Pledge, all the time. Lots of road grime and bugs to clean off of a lot of plastic parts and chrome. Standard practice was to clean up the bike after a day's ride using Pledge, in preparation for the next day's journey. Of course, this was before the days of stuff like Quick Detailer and the like.

But in years of using Pledge, I never had any issues with it, and neither did any of my riding buddies.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:30 PM
adamante82
Instructor

Thanks for the replies.

Some make fun of using Pledge...but...as you can see, it is an option. Probably not the best option, but one none the less.

Sounds like it's out-dated! There are other products out there that are better. Finding one that works...especially for a black car, is the tough part.

The Pro Honda spray that I use actually has the consistency of pledge. It's not "oily" but it's not just "watery" either. It goes on smooth and leaves the car looking like I just waxed it...and it takes very little effort to produce that shine.

I've used Meguiers detailer but it didn't work half as well as Pro Honda spray did.

So! I'm in the hunt. Thanks for the link to autopia.org. Those guys are serious about this! I'm finding lots of good info there.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Honestly I was laughing until I saw someone point out that it repels dust. Is there anything else made for cars that does that? I drive on a lot of dusty roads and I swear wax actually seems to attract dust.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Redrc
Instructor

I used pledge in the late 70's for motocycles. Works great on painted surfaces, never had any problems. Especially good on the fairings for cleaning off bugs. Seemed to disolve them quicker than water. Stilll use it on the front of the car if lots of bugs, as it removes them easier than detail spray.

Also use it on chrome or painted wheels as it seems to me to clean up the break dust faster than detail spray (easier to remove).
Old 04-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Z06Gates
Instructor

Thanks for the replies.

Some make fun of using Pledge...but...as you can see, it is an option. Probably not the best option, but one none the less.

Sounds like it's out-dated! There are other products out there that are better. Finding one that works...especially for a black car, is the tough part.

The Pro Honda spray that I use actually has the consistency of pledge. It's not "oily" but it's not just "watery" either. It goes on smooth and leaves the car looking like I just waxed it...and it takes very little effort to produce that shine.

I've used Meguiers detailer but it didn't work half as well as Pro Honda spray did.

So! I'm in the hunt. Thanks for the link to autopia.org. Those guys are serious about this! I'm finding lots of good info there.
I used to ride dirt bikes and I had a couple crotch rockets and I loved the Honda stuff, all of it. I am not sure why, but never used it on my cars. Anyway, my Z is black too along with my wife's Camry SE. Both of them need some buffing so I ordered the portle cable polisher and the polishing stuff to use with it. I also ordered the new NXT tech wax from Meguiars. I may also buy the Fire and Ice stuff from classic motoring but not sure yet. BTW, my HD 2500 is also black. I guess I like black.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:57 PM
ArrogantZ
Racer

I've always used Pledge on my guitars and I have used it on my classic cars but I never used it on my Z for whatever reason.

My friend's dad that I grew up down the street from restored classic cars, drag raced and raced motorcycles. I remember spending many weekends at the track with them and memories of wiping stuff down with pledge and that lemony scent are still fresh in my mind.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:36 PM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a old lady talk about it, I thought she was nuts.

Get notified of new replies

To Using Pledge to Clean Exterior

Old 04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
rsr500
Intermediate

Default pledge

You can use pledge it will produce a great shine on your car but do not use it out side anything flying in the air will stick to it. Better choices are abundant.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Morgan59
Heel & Toe

Pledging your car in the late 70's was very popular when cruising and wanting a quick, dust free shine. What the hell is wrong with all you young people anyways?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
bubblehead1965
Advanced

Until just recently I had several cars that I used to take to car shows and I used Pledge all the time on them and several hundred people a day would ask what kind of wax I used to get a shine like that....

The trick is to have a fully detailed car to start off with and use a cotton cloth and just barely mist some pledge onto it and wipe an area of the car until you feel it is dry and do it again..gives a great shine better than any detail spray I have ever used.

Another product that has numerous uses.....RAINEX. If you have the glass doors in your shower (plus the tiles) use rainex to clean it and it will keep it looking good.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Using Pledge to Clean Exterior