Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best Tire For Traction On Stock Rim? Hoosier R6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
12oh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Tire For Traction On Stock Rim? Hoosier R6?

the runflats are shot. need the best sticky tire for the rear of my z for straightline traction. looks like the hoosier & nitto invo are about the same price. anything better? any thoughts? i heard alot of people rave about the traction there getting with the hoosiers. my car is not a daily driver and is never driven in the rain. car is only used on the street and some drag strip time. as of right now, i get no grip in 1st & 2nd gear which really sucks-john
Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 PM
TehZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.

R6.

345 on the rear.

Don't drive it in the rain or you will die.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using track rubber on the street and SOME strip time doesnt sound like a good idea to me.

Best case, you'll buy a new set every month lol
Old 04-17-2008, 07:07 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TehZ
Yes.

R6.

345 on the rear.

Don't drive it in the rain or you will die.
they make that in 19 inch?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 PM
RedGTS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patton
they make that in 19 inch?
Yes; they come in both 345 and the stock size (325), which is what I'm running because I heard different accounts as to whether the 345's might rub. Frankly I don't think they will after seeing the 325's mounted, but I went the better safe than sorry route. The Hoosiers will be much stickier than the Nittos, as they should be since they're a road race tire. But they won't wear out in a month unless you spend most of the month in the car flogging it, and you can have some grooves added to the Hoosiers to help in the event you happen to get caught in a shower. There are always some tradeoffs with running a race tire on the street, but if you want something really sticky in 19" Hoosiers and Pilot Sport Cups (which cost almost twice as much) are about the only options.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

you want DRs, not hoosiers for the strip. neither are good choices for the street.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My recommendation for something that would give you plenty of traction and that you actually could drive in the rain if you had to would be.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=4

But they are not cheap
Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 PM
TehZ
Racer

Obviously these guys that are saying the R6 is a bad choice (for whatever reason) have not had them on their cars. OR, if they did have a set, then they didn't have enough power to take advantage of the added benefit. (Or maybe it just rains a lot where they live? )

I've got three C6Z's and have gone through 14-15 sets of tires over the last 2 years trying to find the best tires for my cars. I've settled on R6's for all of them (600 RWHP track car, 650 RWHP street car, and 1,050 RWHP street car). Suffice it to say that I'm an expert on "the right tires for a C6Z that has a lot of HP!"

1. Yes, they come in 19".

2. The 19" 345 R6 will fit on the STOCK C6Z wheel and WILL NOT RUB (even if you lower your car on stock bolts!!!) (and you can fit the 18" R6 285 R6 on the stock front wheel if you are into handling/turns!).

3. I enjoy spirited driving *most* of the time I'm behind the wheel. I had one set of R6's last me 1500 miles and the other set last me 1800 miles. I've heard that other folks get 2000-2200 miles out of them (again, I flog on the car quite a bit).

4. You will die if caught in a rain storm on these tires. Probably even if they are grooved.

5. I cut consistent 1.65-1.75 60' at the Drag Strip with these tires. That is plenty of hook for me for a daily driver. Any more than that and I would be breaking drive line components. I feel it's the perfect balance.

Last edited by TehZ; 04-17-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 PM
novaz06
Pro

What about the R6 rain tires? Are they as good for dry traction? Wouldn't these be the best compromise?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
RedGTS
Racer

Here's the R6 in grooved form:

I have the one on the left, which is the lightest grooving (called dry intermediate or light grooving); the one on the right is a full wet.

Here is the one in between, called simply "intermediate":

As you can see, the intermediate has twice the number of grooves that the dry intermediate has, and the full wet has twice as many as the intermediate. Dry traction will obviously decrease somewhat as the number of grooves rises, and wet traction will increase significantly. I don't plan to drive on them in the rain, but I figure if I get caught on one of those "10-20% chance of rain" days the grooves and slowing way, way down will get me home.

Last edited by RedGTS; 04-17-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:27 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

My biggest complaint with the stock Goodyears was how much less traction was available when it's cold outside. My Z is a 4 season car (but not in the snow:o ) and the Nitto Invo's work as well when it's 40 degrees as when it's 80. How are the R-6's when it's cold?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:40 AM
RFE 300
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I had thought that the Hoosiers aren't street legal? Or, is that something that varies from one jurisdiction to another?

Michael

Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 AM
back 40
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TehZ
Obviously these guys that are saying the R6 is a bad choice (for whatever reason) have not had them on their cars. OR, if they did have a set, then they didn't have enough power to take advantage of the added benefit. (Or maybe it just rains a lot where they live? )

I've got three C6Z's and have gone through 14-15 sets of tires over the last 2 years trying to find the best tires for my cars. I've settled on R6's for all of them (600 RWHP track car, 650 RWHP street car, and 1,050 RWHP street car). Suffice it to say that I'm an expert on "the right tires for a C6Z that has a lot of HP!"

1. Yes, they come in 19".

2. The 19" 345 R6 will fit on the STOCK C6Z wheel and WILL NOT RUB (even if you lower your car on stock bolts!!!) (and you can fit the 18" R6 285 R6 on the stock front wheel if you are into handling/turns!).

3. I enjoy spirited driving *most* of the time I'm behind the wheel. I had one set of R6's last me 1500 miles and the other set last me 1800 miles. I've heard that other folks get 2000-2200 miles out of them (again, I flog on the car quite a bit).

4. You will die if caught in a rain storm on these tires. Probably even if they are grooved.

5. I cut consistent 1.65-1.75 60' at the Drag Strip with these tires. That is plenty of hook for me for a daily driver. Any more than that and I would be breaking drive line components. I feel it's the perfect balance.
Are your drivelines stock?, I've heard of guys breaking things with stock horsepower if their tires hooked real good?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
vdshenoy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mellingm
I had thought that the Hoosiers aren't street legal? Or, is that something that varies from one jurisdiction to another?

Michael

Hoosiers are DOT legal.

Anyways, R6 are ROAD RACING tires, not meant to be used on the street really. If people choose to use it, they are risking a BUNCH of stuff - high speed tire failure, wet traction loss, flats because of soft tire compound etc. Also, street use heat cycles competition tires to CRAP when they heat up and cool down so much. Sun exposure isn't good for the tires either. I'd say these R6s if used daily, won't last more than a month - after that, they'd be less grippy than the stock GYs.

If you're planning to use it for drag racing at the strip, and don't want to downsize your rims to get DRs, I'd suggest getting the A6. It's a softer autocross compound, and generally gets stickier at lower temperatures, so you don't really need much of a burn out, and they aren't as slick. You might get 30 sticky passes on a pair w/ burn outs.

I'll say it again - if you do street driving and occasional drag or track use, DOT legal competition tires are not the solution for traction.

Just my $0.02.

Ven
Old 04-18-2008, 10:05 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

race tires on the street are not a good idea.....while some people run them they are not made for street use.....

oh and wait till you see how much they pepper your quarter panels....

on the bright side you will eliminate tailgating as everyone will stay back to keep from getting pelted by all the debris they kick up!

race tires also heat cycle ....the more cycles the less they work as intended....
Old 04-18-2008, 10:06 AM
RedGTS
Racer

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
My biggest complaint with the stock Goodyears was how much less traction was available when it's cold outside. My Z is a 4 season car (but not in the snow:o ) and the Nitto Invo's work as well when it's 40 degrees as when it's 80. How are the R-6's when it's cold?
I haven't run mine in anything below say 50 degrees yet, so I can't say. These threads always fascinate me though because there are always people jumping in giving definitive sounding opinions who have never run the tires on the street, and often directly contradicting the things posted by those who are running them on the street. Not that facts should get in the way of a firmly held opinion, of course.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

I have read on this forum, time and time again, that the A6's are not good for traction given that they have stiff side walls. Most people that claim this have never ran the tire.

I have read time and time again and SEEN that the A6's are spectacular tires on the drag strip once heated and can cut 1.6x 60' time. Most people that calim this actually HAVE this tire.

Concluison? People that don't have the A6's claim that they stink. People that actually have this tire and have tried it out claim that they are awesome.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Tire For Traction On Stock Rim? Hoosier R6?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:33 AM
0Jared @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Get the Hoosiers.

Get a professional to hand-cut tread into them.

Mount on FORGELINES.

Now your car looks amazing and can hook up.

Send me a PM for a quote. Check this out and prepare to drool.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
mwaull
Advanced

wow hand-cut tread . . . nice!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedGTS
I haven't run mine in anything below say 50 degrees yet, so I can't say. These threads always fascinate me though because there are always people jumping in giving definitive sounding opinions who have never run the tires on the street, and often directly contradicting the things posted by those who are running them on the street. Not that facts should get in the way of a firmly held opinion, of course.
Those tires in your pics, did you have them grooved or did you buy them like that? I saw someone on this thread mention A6 or R6 "rain tires" but I dont see them on the Hoosier website. And how much does grooving a set of tires cost?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best Tire For Traction On Stock Rim? Hoosier R6?