Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need help with gas pedal removal!!!!!! PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:43 PM
VVETYET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with gas pedal removal!!!!!! PLEASE

Hi there, I need help taking off the stock gas pedal. I purchased the aftermarket pedals from nakidparts.com (which are really nice). In the instructions it says to get a c-clamp tool, I checked everywhere in town and couldn't find one, anyone know where I can get one or any tool that can take that stock grommet out??? I tried screwdriver, vice grips, tiny pry bar, and nothing is working. Thanks for any advice
Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 AM
07C6Z51
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I used a Dremmel tool and removed about an eighth inch of plastic off the pedal, where the pin is. I put one end of a C clamp on the pin and the other end over a socket that fits over the head of the pin.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 AM
ken-rx
Burning Brakes

Remove the pedal assemble, 2 nuts) push the pin out easily with a vise-grip.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 AM
VVETYET
Instructor

Originally Posted by ken-rx
Remove the pedal assemble, 2 nuts) push the pin out easily with a vise-grip.
Do you mean at the very top where the large spring is? What else is connected up there, I was thinking of doing that but I was scared that I might mess up the connection that controls the throttle and that would be bad news.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Use a C-clamp and a socket.

Put the socket over the head of that pin you're trying to push out, put one end of the clamp on the end of the pin and the other on the top of the socket. Tighten the clamp and it will push the pin right out.

Bob
Old 04-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Sharky99
Racer

Geez, it's so small and tight down there that U probably need a mirror to see back there.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go the eliteengineeringusa.com web site and click installation instructions. I had the Elite heel & toe gas pedal on my car for a few days. Beautiful looking piece, but thought the mounting was pretty crappy. Pedal slid around a lot. I sold it to another forum member for a bargain price and will get a clamp on for the track.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Put the socket over the head of that pin you're trying to push out, put one end of the clamp on the end of the pin and the other on the top of the socket. Tighten the clamp and it will push the pin right out.

Bob
This is how I did it, too. Any hardware store ought to have a C-clamp that's the right size. I have the Elite Engineering pedal as well, and while it has a bit more side-play than the stock pedal, it works just fine for me--don't feel any slop in it when heel/toe shifting.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Go the eliteengineeringusa.com web site and click installation instructions. I had the Elite heel & toe gas pedal on my car for a few days. Beautiful looking piece, but thought the mounting was pretty crappy. Pedal slid around a lot. I sold it to another forum member for a bargain price and will get a clamp on for the track.
I think I bought mine from you.

It's a great pedal. It's the extra-width heel-n-toe model.

I've had it on since before I did an HPDE in December. It worked great during the HPDE, as well as on the street for almost 6 months now.

I had the narrower one on my '05 coupe for about 30,000 miles with never a problem.

Bob
Old 04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I bought mine from you.

It's a great pedal. It's the extra-width heel-n-toe model.

I've had it on since before I did an HPDE in December. It worked great during the HPDE, as well as on the street for almost 6 months now.

I had the narrower one on my '05 coupe for about 30,000 miles with never a problem.

Bob
Yes you did and glad you like it. I just thought for such a wonderfully crafted piece, the mounting was a let down. Well were both happy, since you gave me a good deal on a Schrader TPMS reset tool. Nice to have, since all 08' and up cars need it. Mark
Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
WNYZ06
Advanced

Go the eliteengineeringusa.com web site and click installation instructions. I had the Elite heel & toe gas pedal on my car for a few days. Beautiful looking piece, but thought the mounting was pretty crappy. Pedal slid around a lot.
Not my experience. Have the same piece on my car for the last 2 years, very, very happy with it.

Installation was very difficult though, could NOT get the stock pedal off despite having tried everything suggested on the web site and by others here. I finally gave up and had the dealer mechanic do it. I figured they would have the special CGPRD (Corvette Gas Pedal Removal Device). They wound up taking off the whole accelerator arm to get to the pedal pin and remove it. So, from my personal experience, it looks like an easy thing to do yourself, but it is not the case (and I would suggest that having a gas pedal you can count on staying put is not such a bad thing).
Old 04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Bob
Thats how I did mine. Small C clamp and 10 mm socket can get c clamp at any hardware store. Pin came right out. JD
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM
VVETYET
Instructor

Default Thanks everyone!!!!

I finally understand, I kept focusing on the pic next to that part in the directions. It would have been nice if they had put a pic of a c-clamp and the socket, at least for a simple guy like me LOL, I dont feel so dumb since others had a similar problem. I got it now and thanks again guys
Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
VVETYET
Instructor

Default Finally on!!!!!!

Ok, the pin on my stock pedal wouldnt give.....the pedal finally ripped off and half of the pin came off. The head and the rest of it were still stuck, I finally pulled it out with vicegrips. Things just cant be easy!!! Then, the pin that came with the pedal was too big, so I had to file the hole a bit. And thanks to the person that said it was a loose fit, because I put a cone shaped rubber washer in the mix to tighten it up. The end result is I am happy but damn it took some time. Good luck to anyone else and I hope my misery helps someone else get it done easier. Thanks again to all your responses
Old 05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

Yes you did and glad you like it. I just thought for such a wonderfully crafted piece, the mounting was a let down. Well were both happy, since you gave me a good deal on a Schrader TPMS reset tool. Nice to have, since all 08' and up cars need it. Mark
Perhaps the spring was on the wrong side? That would cause it to move around a bit.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VVETYET
Ok, the pin on my stock pedal wouldnt give.....the pedal finally ripped off and half of the pin came off. The head and the rest of it were still stuck, I finally pulled it out with vicegrips. Things just cant be easy!!! Then, the pin that came with the pedal was too big, so I had to file the hole a bit. And thanks to the person that said it was a loose fit, because I put a cone shaped rubber washer in the mix to tighten it up. The end result is I am happy but damn it took some time. Good luck to anyone else and I hope my misery helps someone else get it done easier. Thanks again to all your responses
Man I hear you. I had installed the EliteEngineering pedals in my C6 with zero problems. It had a plastic pin holding on the gas pedal.

But doing this on my Z06 last night was a BITCH. The pin is metal and it took me almost an hour to force it out. Used a screw-driver, vice clamps and C-clamp. I finally just kept switching back and forth between the above until it popped-out. I was tempted to give up a few times but knew I would not sleep if I did so...

As with my C6, the new pedal fit like a charm and works great. I really like the width and the fact that it is raised slightly to allow a throttle blip...

Great quality stuff here...
Old 05-16-2008, 02:09 PM
flashback
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just removed the pedal assembly. 1 trim piece, 1 elect. conn. and 2 bolts, took 45 min. I also felt the pedal was a little loose, so I added a spacer to it, mutch better.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with gas pedal removal!!!!!! PLEASE

Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

just installed the elite pedal. a 4" C-clamp and 1/4" 10mm socket did the trick on removing the pin. a big mirror is a must! install was pretty easy. sliding the spring over to the groove on the bolt is key. pedal does have some movement as the new bolt doesnt hold the pedal to the arm snugly. about 1/4 inch of rotational play noticeable by hand but not by foot. now no longer necessary to rotate your heel over to the throttle pedal, just brake with the left side of the foot and blip the throttle with the right side.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 PM
hbutts1
Racer

Originally Posted by VVETYET
I guess I was fortunate because vice grips and a quick ******, the pin pulled out!!! I do have that "play" in the new pedal, can you give me more detail on the washer? It took me a while to get the new pin through the spring!!!!! I almost gave up and then finally it went throught the spring and I tightened it up!!!! I guess If I decide to install a washer that would mean taking the spring back off the pin??

I am glad my pin pulled out easy because I can not picture the clamp and socket method in my mind!!!! Thanks for any info on the washer idea!! Is the washer on the far left hand side of the pin opposite of the spring?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The pedal install was a bit trying so instead of re-installing I went a different approach on getting rid of the slop. A jumbo zip tie (flexcuff that law enforcement uses) with just a bit of filing on each side can easily be inserted over the pin with the pedal slid to one side. Voila, instant nylon washer.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need help with gas pedal removal!!!!!! PLEASE