Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2nd to 3rd shift problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:07 PM
patch68
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 2nd to 3rd shift problem.

I have a 2006 Z. This has happened to me a couple of time now. I will be getting on it and shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and the shifter will be in third gear slot. when I let the clutch out its like its in nutural. Just curious if any one else has had this happen to them. I don't know if somthing might be wrong with the trans, or just my shifting. Probably my shifting. Car has 2700 miles, Thanks for any Info.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 PM
augydog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I've got an '07 Z and was having a problem going from 2nd to 3rd when doing high rpm shifts.

My situation was I couldn't find 3rd. The shifter would go up, but not in any gear

Thanks to the forum, I figured out it was my hand position on the shifter. I was using my fingers instead of the palm to push it into 3rd.

Once I mastered the hand position, haven't had a problem.

augydog
Old 05-25-2008, 09:23 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

I had the same problem with my 05 C6. I remember that GM had a notice about this problem. If I remember correctly it also effected the Cad that had 6sp trans. Los Gatos Chevrolet said they knew nothing about it until I pulled out the bulletin. G.M. ended up buying the car back as a lemon so I did not need to do anything with it. The reason it was a lemon was it was in the shop for about 50 days in the first 6 months because of the fuel sending unit, trans and electrical.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:57 PM
patch68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by augydog
I've got an '07 Z and was having a problem going from 2nd to 3rd when doing high rpm shifts.

My situation was I couldn't find 3rd. The shifter would go up, but not in any gear

Thanks to the forum, I figured out it was my hand position on the shifter. I was using my fingers instead of the palm to push it into 3rd.

augydog
Thanks for the quick reply. Thats kind of what I thought about the hand position thing. I will have to work on that. Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:23 AM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

more miles on the tranny will help. i use an open palm with slight psi. to the right and a LOT of psi foward. i speed shift [WOT no lift on gas quick clutch] the shifter is very capable. relax,make sure car is hot
Old 05-26-2008, 11:47 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if not spraying I do the no-lift shifts as well, the trans will do it if shifted right........but who knows how much life we will get out of the syncros doing that too much
Old 05-26-2008, 11:51 AM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by J HEBERT
if not spraying I do the no-lift shifts as well, the trans will do it if shifted right........but who knows how much life we will get out of the syncros doing that too much
well how often do we do it
Old 05-26-2008, 12:16 PM
patch68
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tips everybody. After it happened the other day I tried the no lift without any problems, but I have read somewhere that the computer pulls power when you shift like that. I don't no, seemed to do fine to me.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:35 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by patch68
Thanks for the tips everybody. After it happened the other day I tried the no lift without any problems, but I have read somewhere that the computer pulls power when you shift like that. I don't no, seemed to do fine to me.
it pulls timing like crazy. its called torque management. i had mine adjusted to min. and if ya thought the car was mean before it gets down right nasty,its not meant for weekenders,or z,s with pretty boy tires
Old 05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
GotGrunt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patch68
I have a 2006 Z. This has happened to me a couple of time now. I will be getting on it and shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and the shifter will be in third gear slot. when I let the clutch out its like its in nutural. Just curious if any one else has had this happen to them. I don't know if somthing might be wrong with the trans, or just my shifting. Probably my shifting. Car has 2700 miles, Thanks for any Info.
LOL... the first time that happened to me, I thought I blew my tranny. I also learned to just push forward on the shift **** using my palm instead of guiding it with a closed fist. It works like a charm
Old 05-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Street gear
Racer

Originally Posted by augydog

augydog

Me too same problem fixed by proper shifting...
Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Not seeing your shifting problem at all.

DH
Old 05-27-2008, 10:40 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by patton
well how often do we do it
Well ....only when the spray is off and the sticky rubber is on

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd to 3rd shift problem.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2nd to 3rd shift problem.