Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 427 Limited Edition Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by okcuser
I am the original owner of #015 and it was delivered to me through National Corvette Delivery. Other than Will Cooksey's #001 does anyone know of an earlier numbered delivery than mine?
Yes, go checkout the first post on this thread. I am guessing that you somehow missed the first page of this thread. There are 9 others with lower numbers than yours.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:24 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I spotted car #243 at Barrett-Jackson, West Palm Beach yesterday. It was heavily modified and supposedly used as a track car. It sold for $64,900.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Aves_Guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I live in Edmond too

Originally Posted by rohard
# 402
Edmond, Oklahoma
I've got the 60th Anniversary package on my 427. Do you go to the Car's and Coffee @ North Park mall? If so, I'll look for you.

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeeandCarsOKC
Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Parked next to #192, from Piedmont CA, today at a Corvette show...

Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 AM
NDAGRUV
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default #405 "In For Surgery"

Number 405 (Phoenix, AZ) is going in and having the heads reworked by CORDES PERFORMANCE here in Mesa, AZ, and they are sending the heads to West Coast Cylinder Heads. This is merely a "pre-emptive strike" to ensure total engine reliability over the course of its days, as GM is unwilling to accept responsibility for their engineering screw ups.
I have not had ANY symptoms and am doing this for my own piece of mind - plus if I ever sell it, that will be a positive assurance to any ZO6 buyer.

God BLESS you all, and GET OUT AND DRIVE 'EM!!!!

Last edited by NDAGRUV; 08-10-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Aves_Guy
Intermediate

Default Engineering screw up's?

Originally Posted by NDAGRUV
Number 405 (Phoenix, AZ) is going in and having the heads reworked by West Coast Cylinder Heads. This is merely a "pre-emptive strike" to ensure total engine reliability over the course of its days, as GM is unwilling to accept responsibility for their engineering screw ups.
I have not had ANY symptoms and am doing this for my own piece of mind - plus if I ever sell it, that will be a positive assurance to any ZO6 buyer.

God BLESS you all, and GET OUT AND DRIVE 'EM!!!!
I'm curious.. what risk are you mitigating? This is the first I've heard of flaws in the cylinder heads. I have a 427 vert too.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Aves_Guy
Intermediate

Default Awesome color combo

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
Parked next to #192, from Piedmont CA, today at a Corvette show...

LOVE that color combination!!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 AM
NDAGRUV
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS7 Head Issues..........

Originally Posted by GStoehr
I'm curious.. what risk are you mitigating? This is the first I've heard of flaws in the cylinder heads. I have a 427 vert too.
I would suggest that you check on this website, in the ZO6 area, and search for the topic of "LS7 Heads", or ZO6 Head/Valve Failure.

There is a long, drawn out discussion on problems with the LS7 Valve Guides and the fact they were incorrectly built by the supplier to GM. What MAY happen - the valve guide breaks dropping part of the exhaust valve into the Cylinder, which blows out a portion of the cylinder block.......... Leaving the owner (unless under warranty AND THE CAR IS UNMODIFIED IN ANY WAY) totally responsible for the repairs which can reach 14k to 15K.
The work that I (and others) are paying for out our own pocket (I'm out of warranty), is to have the heads corrected and completely rebuilt using Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves (Sodium Filled Valves are original and ALSO part of the problem).
This removes the "possible risk" associated with the LS7 head design/build.
GM accepts NO RESPONSIBILITY for this defect, mainly since it happens to so few LS7's (their words, not mine). You'll see and hear once you get onto the topic here on this website and you can makep your own mind on the matter. Me, I choose to remove "the doubt" and ENJOY MY ZO6!!!
Cod BLESS!!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Aves_Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NDAGRUV
I would suggest that you check on this website, in the ZO6 area, and search for the topic of "LS7 Heads", or ZO6 Head/Valve Failure.

There is a long, drawn out discussion on problems with the LS7 Valve Guides and the fact they were incorrectly built by the supplier to GM. What MAY happen - the valve guide breaks dropping part of the exhaust valve into the Cylinder, which blows out a portion of the cylinder block.......... Leaving the owner (unless under warranty AND THE CAR IS UNMODIFIED IN ANY WAY) totally responsible for the repairs which can reach 14k to 15K.
The work that I (and others) are paying for out our own pocket (I'm out of warranty), is to have the heads corrected and completely rebuilt using Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves (Sodium Filled Valves are original and ALSO part of the problem).
This removes the "possible risk" associated with the LS7 head design/build.
GM accepts NO RESPONSIBILITY for this defect, mainly since it happens to so few LS7's (their words, not mine). You'll see and hear once you get onto the topic here on this website and you can makep your own mind on the matter. Me, I choose to remove "the doubt" and ENJOY MY ZO6!!!
Cod BLESS!!
Thanks for the reply. I'll go read some threads. With only 3500 miles and almost a year into ownership I have some time remaining in my warranty, but this info helps me if I start hearing tappets clinking or something.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:55 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply. I'll go read some threads. With only 3500 miles and almost a year into ownership I have some time remaining in my warranty, but this info helps me if I start hearing tappets clinking or something.
I might mention that this thread is concerning the 2008 427 Limited Edition Z06. I think the head problem was solved by the 2012 or 2013 model year.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:42 PM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the 60th Anniversary package on my 427. Do you go to the Car's and Coffee @ North Park mall? If so, I'll look for you.

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeeandCarsOKC
Hey, sorry didn't see your message till a friend from CA called it to my attention. I used to go when it was up at Memorial and Penn, but haven't been since they moved it to North Park. I had a 65 that I would take, but traded it for a C7, so the Cooksey will be the car for me to drive to car shows from now on. PM me, do you belong to OCCC or COCC? Don't remember seeing a 60th Z.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As most of you are probably aware, Wil Cooksey's book (No Time To Cry) is available (limited number of autograph's copies available) at the NCM store. It has a nice picture of Wil on the front, with #427 of the Cooksey series. Just started to read, but talk about overcoming adversity in your life.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:30 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
Went to the LeMans race at Laguna Seca by Monterey CA last week, spotted someone checking out my car. Anyone know who it is???

Also ran into another 427, #88 from San Antonio TX...
Looks like THE MAN himself!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Sportsdad
Cruising

Well, it might happen. I began researching vettes since last March and newer ones over the past couple months.

Larry, my neighbor, purchased his Z44 in WA state(finding out exactly where right now) He is getting a 2015 next year to replace his 427 he keeps at his condo in Vegas. (He drove it down there when he took delivery of his Jaguar Type F -V8 last year) He is a planner and typically follows through with his plans. We've been neighbors since 1998.

Well, I mentioned to him a couple months ago I was looking at Vettes. He mentioned he would sell his 2008 corvette 427 limited edition z06 with 16,000 miles on it to me knowing I'm a fast car aficionado and the fact I've done a few photo shoots for him. I didn't take him seriously, but last month I asked if he was serious. He said yes, and probably mid 40's this vette.

Today he sent me text messages from Vegas and said "I detailed YOUR vette today!"

I started prepping the wife 6 weeks ago, and she's warming up to the idea. The price I would pay for this car, I could turn around and sell it for $5-10k more IF I chose to but I'm not choosing to. Hell I don't even have it yet. But I might...I just might be a vette owner..but not until next year. It's going to be a loooooooooooooong year.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Sportsdad; 08-10-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Sportsdad
Cruising

Okay, so his is 171.

Larry lives in WA state but the car is at his condo in Vegas.

#171 Lake Tapps, WA (Or Las Vegas, NV?)
Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by carpe dm
Looks like THE MAN himself!
It is, it is... I was at the ALMS race at Laguna Seca one year when he drove up to the Corvette Corral tent. I was close by and heard him say "that's my signature on that car, I've got to go see that". A couple of years ago in Bowling Green we invited him and his wife to have dinner with us at Raffertys. Great people.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 PM
CookZ06
1st Gear

Default #195 - Weston, WI

My Dad purchased this vette in 2009 from Pennsylvania. The owner had passed away and his wife was selling some of his collection. The gentleman had multiple corvettes. He would sometimes order 1 of every color for a certain year....lucky guy!!
Dad decided to purchase the car and have it shipped in an enclosed trailer to his home in WI.
When it arrived, it had 3 miles on it and all of the plastic still in place! Dad drove the car very little, but polished it often.
He enjoyed the car for 4 years before he passed away July 28, 2013 at the age of 66, from Leukemia. We now take his car to shows in his memory. It has less then 1,000 miles on it.

Dad the day the vette was delivered

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Limited Edition Roll Call

Old 11-17-2014, 08:08 PM
jdil288
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CookZ06
My Dad purchased this vette in 2009 from Pennsylvania. The owner had passed away and his wife was selling some of his collection. The gentleman had multiple corvettes. He would sometimes order 1 of every color for a certain year....lucky guy!!
Dad decided to purchase the car and have it shipped in an enclosed trailer to his home in WI.
When it arrived, it had 3 miles on it and all of the plastic still in place! Dad drove the car very little, but polished it often.
He enjoyed the car for 4 years before he passed away July 28, 2013 at the age of 66, from Leukemia. We now take his car to shows in his memory. It has less then 1,000 miles on it.

Dad the day the vette was delivered

If you ever consider selling the car send me a pm......
Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM
jdil288
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

# 114 located in Guilford CT.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Added both

#195 - Weston, WI