Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Differences between the TR6060 and the T56??

Old 06-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Paul Scarpelli
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Differences between the TR6060 and the T56??

I understand the TR6060 is a derivative of the trusty T56 (which I had in my Vorteched Z-28, C5 and C6), and I assume it's more robust, but does anyone know any other specifics? Apparently, my '08 Z06 has a TR6060, which I just discovered. Sure feels like a T56, but with shorter throws.

Sorry if this is a dupe, and thanks.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear the t6060 grinds 2nd and 3rd when cold and t56 doesn't.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:00 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Completely off topic, but every time I see a post from you I want to ask if you race bicycles? I found one of the best things about the C6Z is the fact that I can easily get a bike in the back and with a little extra effort have actually gotten TWO of them back there. Awesome way to get to races.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:07 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 77 Posts

i have heard that the 6060 has wider gears (more robust) and more syncros. the 6060 adds one more syncro between every gear when compared to the t56. it also has a higher torque rating. and if i am not mistaken it has the larger spline input shaft on it from the get go.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Zoeaux6
Heel & Toe

Default Very few miles, but my 08Z is very sticky about 2nd and 3rd....

I have it in the dealer now for a windshield replacement and had them note this. I am not going to push it unless it is still there down the road. I don't think it relates to the CAGS (1-4 shift), which I am going to cut out soon, but those are the locked out gears.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:41 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can tell you that Paul does indeed race bicycles. However, he's a bit of an azzclown, so be vigilent if you ever ask to see his Schwinn....

The TR6060 is a relatively updated version of the T-56. Many differences internally. The biggest complaint is that when cold it's a bit hard to shift [quickly].

I'd advise you to call George at MGW and get an after market shifter. This won't help with cold/hard shift issue - but it will make shifting in general a much more precise and pleasant experience! The Z06 is a completely different animal with one of these shifters!!! ZERO downsides to this mod! It won't even void your warranty!

I remember thinking, "Wow, the factory shifter is SO improved over the C5 unit.. HOW ON EARTH COULD IT GET ANY BETTER?" Well, get a MGW shifter and you will see for yourself... Lot's of room for improvement!

Heck, Paul, I'll even fly out and install it for you. This time, don't try to grab my azz, though!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Paul Scarpelli
Race Director

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Completely off topic, but every time I see a post from you I want to ask if you race bicycles? I found one of the best things about the C6Z is the fact that I can easily get a bike in the back and with a little extra effort have actually gotten TWO of them back there. Awesome way to get to races.

Cheers, Paul.
I've used a C5, C6, and now my Z06 to get bikes to races. Lots of room, and great gas mileage. I'm injured this year, but I'm still a category 2, even at 62 years old. Six state championships and many Gold, Silver, and Bronze at the Huntsman World Senior Games. Keep riding...
Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 PM
V Amazed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
I hear the t6060 grinds 2nd and 3rd when cold and t56 doesn't.
I can confirm this. Made me feel like an idiot when it happened (both in 2nd and 3rd), as I consider myself a pretty good driver, and it never happened in my '06 coupe. Anyhoo, GREAT transmission, GREAT drivetrain, GREAT CAR!

Ben
Old 06-27-2008, 12:00 PM
AraiGP4
Racer

From the posts, it would appear that the "new" T6060 is more robust, but the "old" T56 shifts more smoothly. I'm very pleased with the T56 in my '07 Z06. Much better gearchanges than the T56 in the '05 Z51 that preceded it. My guess is that GM will have improved the T6060 in the '09, much as they improved the T56 in the '07.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Having not had a T56, I can't compare but I have had no grinding in any gear even with cold. Now maybe it's a lower temperature thing. My nights are usually no colder than 70-72. Are the folks with grinding gears starting out at colder temps than I am?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

According to the corvette quartly magazine, this is what they said about the new TR6060 manual tranny:

"Changes for 2008 include wider gears for increased torque capacity, higher-capacity synchronizers, finer splines and machined teeth for the dog clutches, and new single-piece shift forks. For increased stiffness at the front of the transmission, the oil-circulating pump has been moved inside the case and its flow rate has been increased by 15%. Various ribs, reinforcements, and flange thicknesses are increased, and the countershaft is a new, more robust single-piece design. Differential ring and pinion gears are now shot-peened twice for enhanced durability, and the span between their support bearings has been increased to the Z06 dimension. All said an done, over 90% of the components are altered from the T56 transmission. There was also a 10% reduction in motion and effort"

Obviously, the modifications to this transimission were much more than we were originally led to believe. I only pulled the related material from the article.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:27 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

I now have an 08 and traded an 06 to it so I have been familiar with both.

The biggest complaint I had on my 06 was that sometimes it would feel a little weird, and take extra effort putting it on 1st gear. Also, I had difficulty putting it on reverse from time to time.

Never had I had any grinds or misshifts, up until the point something went wrong and then it was rebuilt under warranty.

The 08 new tranny feels a lot better overall...no grinds, smoother shifting. I have yet to experience the 2nd to 3rd issue lots of people comment about...but I only have about 1,300 miles on my 08....
Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Paul Scarpelli
Race Director

Well, I asked for opinions, and (thanks) now here are mine:

My first T56 was in a Vortech-supercharged F-body, and with a Hurst shifter, it was not perfect, but it was close. The 2-3 upshift was clean. My C5 and C6 also had the T56, and throws were too long, 3rd was hard to shift to fast, and I had to hunt for 1st and reverse.

The TR6060 has shorter throws, almost like the Hurst, it's a bit smoother and less notchy (still not a Honda shifter ), and I actually can find 1st and reverse. Not getting my '05 Z51 into reverse all the way caused me dead battery syndrome around eight times, which started to become an annoyance. (I understate... )

I think a good aftermarket shifter would make this car even better. I'm sure that's a separate thread, but what works best? I vowed this would be the first car I've owned since 1968 that didn't get modded, but yesterday I pulled the exhaust fuse, I'm looking for a shifter, headers seem "worthwhile"...Crap. Here we go.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

It's strange reading all of this because my 08 shifts smoothly and easily even when cold. My 07 was notchy and required a lot more effort to shift.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 77 Posts

i think the tranny issue is because people start their vette and let the engine "warm up" and forget that all the other fluids in the car are "cold" so they take off and all of a sudden the trans is a bit rough at first. i don't have grinding in my 08 but you can tell it is not loosened up at first. i start my car, let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute just to let the oil get moving then i start driving. by the time the oil temp is up and ready so is the rest of the car and no issues to rip on it once everything is warm. too often i have read (especially on this board) about cold tranny's, well what do you expect if the gears aren't turning then it doesn't warm up till you put on a few miles.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1.8t
According to the corvette quartly magazine, this is what they said about the new TR6060 manual tranny:

"Changes for 2008 include wider gears for increased torque capacity, higher-capacity synchronizers, finer splines and machined teeth for the dog clutches, and new single-piece shift forks. For increased stiffness at the front of the transmission, the oil-circulating pump has been moved inside the case and its flow rate has been increased by 15%. Various ribs, reinforcements, and flange thicknesses are increased, and the countershaft is a new, more robust single-piece design. Differential ring and pinion gears are now shot-peened twice for enhanced durability, and the span between their support bearings has been increased to the Z06 dimension. All said an done, over 90% of the components are altered from the T56 transmission. There was also a 10% reduction in motion and effort"

Obviously, the modifications to this transimission were much more than we were originally led to believe. I only pulled the related material from the article.
looks like they are talking about the 08 C6 tranny in the above quote.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:56 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Paul,

I can't believe you had a chance to slam me and you didn't take it!!!

Yes, get the MGW shifter @ http://www.mgwltd.com/

As for George.

Best $200 bucks you'll ever spend. That and a few hundred bucks for a CAI (Cold Air Intake)!!! Those two mods alone make the C6Z a much more refined, performance oriented, vehicular!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:01 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

george is a nice guy but that shifter must be experienced before purchased. i was sorely disapointed in its notchiness, he-man level shift effort, and rattle

Get notified of new replies

To Differences between the TR6060 and the T56??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Differences between the TR6060 and the T56??