Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Early 2007 Roof (Not under Recall) Delaminates

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
HornZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Early 2007 Roof (Not under Recall) Delaminates

Well, the roof on my LMB 2007 Z (Mfg June 2006) finally started to separate. I had been at the dealer a couple of times and always asked about the recall, and was repeatedly told that my vehicle was **NOT** part of the recall, even though it was prior to the Aug 3 introduction of the new SMC panels.

I did not hear any "pop", nor do I hear any wind noise coming from it now. It just lifted up slightly on the rear drivers corner, separating from the upper window seal. The seal separation is what I first noticed, and as soon as I brought it in to the dealer, they said "you need a new roof". They had one in stock, but will need to be painted. All under warranty of course (even tho not part of the recall).

Thanks to 06 Quicksilver Z06 for posting the following info: (When I responded to this thread my roof was OK)

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
It is good to hear that your '07 was not one of the '07s which fell within the VIN range, or had the delamination issue.

The first two following threads describe '07s which did have it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1770414

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1672398

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1566074187
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90
No. The first month and a half of 2007 production was made using the old polycarbonate panels and a new adhesive bonding process at the factory called 'triple bonding.' The new SMC tops were not phased in at the assembly plant until August 3, 2006 and at that point it was not a total changeover. The panels arrive at the factory painted by the supplier, not painted at the plant. The changeover was made on a color by color basis until the supply of old panels was exhausted and the new SMC panels were started on the line. I am still unaware of any of the 2007 cars panels separating but this would be the scenario that would allow for it to happen. The SMC panels will not come apart for the reasons that drove the polycarbonate painted panel to come off.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1561783006
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90
The VIN information for the new panels is not publicly available. The SMC roof panel was starting to be phased in on the line on August 3, 2006. The panels were incorporated on the line as stock of each color became depleted. Prior to the SMC phase in, the assembly plant was using polycarbonate panels that were manufactured using a triple bonding process to help deal with the coefficient of expansion differences of the previous design. Your manufacturing date means that you have either a new design SMC panel or an intermediate design triple bonded polycarbonate panel. You likelihood of delamination should be extremely low.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1518166

"1. Customer Satisfaction program 05112D address 2005 and some 2006 painted roofs. Some 2006 and 2007 Corvette may experience the same concern. Should a vehicle outside the original bulletin breakpoint or VINs come into the dealership that is experiencing the same complaint, they should be handled with same process as outline in bulletin 05112D"

Thanks to all on this forum -- an Excellent source of information!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hornz -

your post .01 second before mine...check it out!

where there's smoke, there's fire - looks like headed for another recall...

GM should pay attention!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
rubric scarab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My early 2007 Lemans Blue Z06 (late July 2006 build) also had the roof delaminate earlier this year. Same exact symptoms as described in the first post - no noise, no symptoms, other than the left rear corner on the driver's side raised up slightly over the weather strip. The new roof was ordered, painted, and replaced. No more problem. My guess is there is no recall on the late 2006, early 2007 cars because while those roofs still delaminate, they don't entirely fly off - possibly because the bonding process was improved somewhat as time went on.

Last edited by rubric scarab; 07-16-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my way to a gathering of vettes this evening I was on the Belt Parkway and all of a sudden I hear the unmistakable whoosh. I get off at the next exit and I can lift the roof where it meets the windshield ever so slightly. My car has had the foam recall already but as many have already experienced that fix did not do the trick. I was 20 miles from home and luckily my uncle brought me some duct tape to keep the roof down so I can get her home safely. As others have already said, it is just a matter of time!

Get notified of new replies

To Early 2007 Roof (Not under Recall) Delaminates

Quick Reply: [Z06] Early 2007 Roof (Not under Recall) Delaminates