Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] B&B Fusion is the system to have for the Z06!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by novaz06
I just had my fusion installed and it does not fit right - it is hitting somewhere as there is some serious rattling going on at idle. I'm going to take a look under the car this weekend and try to figure out where it is hitting. At first I thought it was the vacuum diaphragm system that was causing the rattling, but now I think it is fitment somewhere.

Also the sound is great but there is some drone even with the baffles closed.
If you only bought the mufflers, and not the center section, check the pipes as they go "up and over" the transaxle. Check the clearance to the side frame rails & the top of the trans/diff casting. Mine was very close there at first.

If they are too close, you can adjust the clearance by bending the hanger rods at the rear of the mufflers slightly, but you may have to take them off if you need to adjust it much.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered my B&B Fusions yesterday.
Thanks Jim for the great service. Can't wait to get those puppies on the car.

Bob
Old 08-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Heber Guy
Advanced

Default Waiting on test

southerncarparts
Thanks for all the help and am anxiously awaiting your test for drone.
Heber Guy
Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Originally Posted by 4wheels
When I spoke with Mike Boat, he told me the same thing about the 2 different generations/versions of can length and it being changed due to customer feedback wanting a louder system. Prior to purchasing my Fusions, I auditioned a Gen 1 system in person (with stock H pipe) and it was only slightly louder than stock (in 2 pipe mode), but did sound better (tone). In 4 pipe mode, it was MUCH louder than stock, again with better tone. Another comment MB made was that between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 system, the 2 pipe mode is louder but the 4 pipe mode sounds pretty much the same, since the secondary pipes are basically "straight through". I got the impression from him that they might be willing to make either Gen 1 or Gen 2 systems upon customer request at time of order, but that Gen 1 systems are a special request since it's not the standard production system anymore.

He also said they've made some minor "adjustments" to where the tips hang & the pipes go to improve fit & looks. Maybe I just have one of the problem child units that caused an adjustment to be made??? But that still doesn't explain my drone & the intermittent valve sticking (you can feel it bind when you work the valve by hand, and you can work/adjust the linkage until it's loose, but it only works for a while before it binds again).

On the street I run the system with the computer controlled valves, so they were closed on the fwy & it still droned. It drones until I get past about 82mph, which I can't always do here in SoCal traffic. And if there was any uphill incline, the pressure waves in the cabin made it a pretty noisy place to be. On the track, I ran it with fuse pulled/valves forced open, just to eliminate any chance of valves sticking closed (and I checked to make sure they were open by hand) and none of us thought it was loud at all (windows down of course). I would be curious to hear if your system drones on the fwy, especially on a slight uphill incline, with windows closed & no stereo.

After my experience, I'm thinking the Gen 1 was better than the Gen 2. I wanted a system that sounds better than stock, but is still fairly quiet in 2 pipe mode (hear the engine, but still be able to listen to the stereo, talk to the passenger, or on the phone, while cruising), and have the ability to get a "let 'er rip" sound when I wanted to open the valves (when cruising or at the track).

BTW, from the pics, your tips are MUCH higher than mine...
You may be right....They may have made some minor tweaks that B&B is not talking about (Gen 2.1, 2,2 etc...) to prevent a mass of returns. I agree on the tips, I think the are absolutely perfect.

I will do my test run tomorrow and post here to let you know if I notice anything in 6th gear but so far I am really pleased with the system

See ya,

Jim
Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 PM
bef99hwk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really interested in Corsa or Fusions and I almost want to go with KNOWING there is NO DRONE but Fusions sounds a lot better imo. Do you offer returns if we don't like the exhaust?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 PM
bef99hwk
Racer

bump.....
Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Heber Guy
Advanced

Default Test

Can't wait for the test results
Old 08-29-2008, 05:58 PM
RENNtech
Racer

I agree with Jim 100%. They sound great, especially on the end of some headers . . .

JJ
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Guys, ok took the car for an extensive drive today and my verdict is in.....With the baffles closed, the car (IMHO) has very, very little drone if any. Now, you CAN hear the exhaust more so than stock but there is not really a drone at all (keep in mind that I just had the borla stingers on the car so my ears might be desensitized a bit). When the engine is lugging at low rpm's (1500 and below) you can hear some drone wanting to rear it's ugly head. Open the baffles, and yes....significant increase in noise and drone (especially at low rpms, when the engine is under a load). Close the baffles, and the drone is gone.

My setup is an 09 Z06 with BB Fusion Exhaust, Mild to Wild Exhaust Switch, and the Borla X pipe. Not sure if the X-pipe makes a difference in drone (assuming it does not).

There you have it, my honest feedback..Hope everyone else has the same experience.

See ya,

Jim
Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Southern Car Parts,

First thanx for my fusions I received this week. Second I wanna give my impressions of the fusions. I am very happy so far. It has only been a few days but they sound good. I did not add X-pipe or PRT section it is stock their. Very minimal drone flaps closed from 800-1200 so clutch engaging you get it very little. (Little meaning 20% of what stock open would produce.) On the freeway they are great cruising from 55-80 in 6th gear. I supposed if I lug it in 6th uphill at 55 & try to accelerate I might get a little drone but not in normal driving conditions. WOT they are not as loud as the corsa would be IMO, but they are raspy which I like. To me, Corsa get the most rapsy and loud at WOT. The borla do not get raspy. For me, I like the raspy at WOT it is more like NASCAR or C6R.

The fusion with the flaps open all the time has too much drone. I am putting the exhaust commander on soon setting it to open the flaps 1800 or 2000 rpm. I hope that this gives me the most out of the fusion with minimal to no drone.

Because they are new, they smell when they warm up.(50 miles so far.) Will these get a little louder as they burn in?

Thanx

Joe

Last edited by Joezone914; 09-01-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 PM
bef99hwk
Racer

Dangit...I keep flip flopping my choices between B & B and Corsa...I'm pretty sure Borla is out of the question....I don't mind a lil drone, because I hear it now when I have the exhaust fuse pulled all the time stock. How does this compare? I'm talking bout 75 mph cruise down interstate, going up a hill. There seems to be the loudest noise I noticed at this speed with cruise on. I want something loud, but sounds great, and not a ton of drone and can't pick between B & B and Corsa. Corsa is cheaper, has no drone, and is louder now too? Almost seems like the better deal, but B & B is supposed to sound better? Do you offer money back guarantee if we aren't happy with it?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

bef99hwk

Sorry if I confused you. It is my opinion that corsa is louder only at WOT. It is most likely because the hight tone of the exhaust cuts through better. I do know that in early 2005 I took my previous C6 to A&A for the annual BBQ and Dyno day. Someone had a db meter and my C6 was 6 db louder than all the other exhausts stock for stock except mufflers. Mind you their were not too many other C6's their with exhaust most test were based on C5 borla because not enough C6 owners yet.

I love the WOT sound of the corsa but Idle and cruise it much better for me on the fusions flap closed.

I don't remember if I was on any big hills but can tell you it cruises very well at 75 on my car no drone at all. I am told the B&B are very consistent for fitment from John at West Coast Corvettes. However, I have heard from other their are issues. Maybe it's build quality and I was lucky. Maybe it's the installer and I was lucky I had West Coast do it. Bad fitment will cause drone IE if it is touching somewhere.

Joe
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 PM
bef99hwk
Racer

SUCH TOUGH DECISIONS! I might go with Corsa just because the fitment is there and the sound is pretty good, with no drone for sure. I'd love to hear the B & B in person but I hate crooked exhaust tips :S
Old 09-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Larry T
Racer

...made up my mind after reading this thread...ordered the B&B Fusion from Southern Car Parts this morning. Good price and no shipping charges in the lower 48. Will evaluate when installed...tnx Jim/David...LT
Old 09-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

bef99hwk

Like I said for me no fitment issues at all. I have 200 miles and still happy with fusions.

I love the sound of the corsa it is their appearance I do not like. You can see the cans and the tips are too low for me. Plus, unless they changed the tip, there is an inner tip on the Z version. The Corsa Xtremes are the best looking corsa's. but are not for the Z unfortunately.

Joe
Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Cape Cod Bob

Got my B&B Fusions from Southerncarparts yesterday. They are going on tomorrow.
BTW...many thanks to Jim and the gang at Southerncarparts....great service and price!
Bob
Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Larry T
Racer

Bob...get us an update after install..tnx...LT

Get notified of new replies

To B&B Fusion is the system to have for the Z06!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Cape Cod Bob

Originally Posted by Larry T
Bob...get us an update after install..tnx...LT
Will do!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 PM
black-on-black
Instructor

Very nice writeup bro!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Cape Cod Bob

Ok, got the B&B Fusions on today. Make sure you use a 4 post lift and not a drive on "ramp" type lift. Otherwise it's impossible to get the passenger side muffler off.
Anyway, the install went great once we got the car on the correct lift. Fit and finish of the Fusion was excellent and the exhaust lined up perfect.
Have driven the car almost 60 miles with the new install. IT SOUNDS GREAT. Both the "flaps open" and the "flaps closed" sound great. Course the open gives the most thunder. The closed setting is quiet but somewhat louder than stock.
On the highway the sounds are sweet. Jim at Southerncarparts was 100% correct on the system.
There is a slight drone with them open or closed. In the closed or "quiet" setting, the drone is very small and I listened to my radio today with no problems. I only picked up the drone in 6th at around 70mph. But it is very livable and not obnoxious.
So, one happy camper here. Very glad I made the change and the car sounds great. Had several friends come by today to hear the car and awesome was the word I heard the most.
Bob

Quick Reply: [Z06] B&B Fusion is the system to have for the Z06!!!