Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] B&B Fusion is the system to have for the Z06!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Ok, got the B&B Fusions on today. Make sure you use a 4 post lift and not a drive on "ramp" type lift. Otherwise it's impossible to get the passenger side muffler off.
Anyway, the install went great once we got the car on the correct lift. Fit and finish of the Fusion was excellent and the exhaust lined up perfect.
Have driven the car almost 60 miles with the new install. IT SOUNDS GREAT. Both the "flaps open" and the "flaps closed" sound great. Course the open gives the most thunder. The closed setting is quiet but somewhat louder than stock.
On the highway the sounds are sweet. Jim at Southerncarparts was 100% correct on the system.
There is a slight drone with them open or closed. In the closed or "quiet" setting, the drone is very small and I listened to my radio today with no problems. I only picked up the drone in 6th at around 70mph. But it is very livable and not obnoxious.
So, one happy camper here. Very glad I made the change and the car sounds great. Had several friends come by today to hear the car and awesome was the word I heard the most.
Bob
Bob, thanks for sharing your opinion. I am so glad your experience with the Billy Boat Fusion System was similar to mine. I started to get a little worried as sound (like taste, smell, and sight) is a subjective sense that what some may find pleasant others may not. I would hate to of convinced someone to purchase the B&B Corvette Fusion System and they hate it.

See ya,

Jim Vose
Old 09-07-2008, 03:49 PM
john_uk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as many here of what make to go for? It's an expensive mistake to make if I get it wrong, + I'll have trouble reselling them in the UK, as there are only a few Z06's here.

From what I've read so far, I think the Corsa will suit me. I see a few others are swaying this way too.
Anyone here running the Corsa? We would love to hear your review? I'd like to know more about the dreaded drone, any problem areas here?

Last edited by john_uk; 09-07-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Originally Posted by john_uk
I'm in the same boat as many here of what make to go for? It's an expensive mistake to make if I get it wrong, + I'll have trouble reselling them in the UK, as there are only a few Z06's here.

From what I've read so far, I think the Corsa will suit me. I see a few others are swaying this way too.
Anyone here running the Corsa? We would love to hear your review? I'd like to know more about the dreaded drone, any problem areas here?
Might be helpful to you to find a Corsa thread. That way you can get some feedback from folks that chose to go with that system.
I've been listening and looking for 2 years before I made my choice. If you could make it over the pond and to a large Corvette event, you could probably hear all the different systems. It really helps to hear them in person.

Bob
Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Steve R
Instructor

Ok, got the B&B Fusions on today. Make sure you use a 4 post lift and not a drive on "ramp" type lift. Otherwise it's impossible to get the passenger side muffler off.
Anyway, the install went great once we got the car on the correct lift. Fit and finish of the Fusion was excellent and the exhaust lined up perfect.
Have driven the car almost 60 miles with the new install. IT SOUNDS GREAT. Both the "flaps open" and the "flaps closed" sound great. Course the open gives the most thunder. The closed setting is quiet but somewhat louder than stock.
On the highway the sounds are sweet. Jim at Southerncarparts was 100% correct on the system.
There is a slight drone with them open or closed. In the closed or "quiet" setting, the drone is very small and I listened to my radio today with no problems. I only picked up the drone in 6th at around 70mph. But it is very livable and not obnoxious.
So, one happy camper here. Very glad I made the change and the car sounds great. Had several friends come by today to hear the car and awesome was the word I heard the most.
Bob
Bob, Do you have headers? I ready to try a set of the B&Bs but I'm afraid with the headers it might drone a little more. Jim have you got any feedback on this?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Originally Posted by Steve R
Bob, Do you have headers? I ready to try a set of the B&Bs but I'm afraid with the headers it might drone a little more. Jim have you got any feedback on this?
No, don't have headers yet but looking into it. I did have headers on my 06 but stock exhaust. I think, with headers, I would just run it all the time in the "quiet" mode and that would be agressive enough for me.
Bob
Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Guys, ok took the car for an extensive drive today and my verdict is in.....With the baffles closed, the car (IMHO) has very, very little drone if any. Now, you CAN hear the exhaust more so than stock but there is not really a drone at all (keep in mind that I just had the borla stingers on the car so my ears might be desensitized a bit). When the engine is lugging at low rpm's (1500 and below) you can hear some drone wanting to rear it's ugly head. Open the baffles, and yes....significant increase in noise and drone (especially at low rpms, when the engine is under a load). Close the baffles, and the drone is gone.

My setup is an 09 Z06 with BB Fusion Exhaust, Mild to Wild Exhaust Switch, and the Borla X pipe. Not sure if the X-pipe makes a difference in drone (assuming it does not).

There you have it, my honest feedback..Hope everyone else has the same experience.

See ya,

Jim

That essentially matches the other guys car I heard, but for some reason my Fusions don't sound or fit like that! I've been talking with Mike Boat directly to try & get it resolved, and he keeps saying he'll send me a replacement exhaust to swap out & see if that fixes things. So far time keeps passing & nothing... I may have to drive the car there & see if he can fix it in person.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

after listening to all the videos, definitely this is a matter of personal taste. I like the sounds of the stock mufflers with the perforated pipes sealed - $ 200 gets you the sound of $ 1,500+ exhaust systems...
Old 09-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Bitbuster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
after listening to all the videos, definitely this is a matter of personal taste. I like the sounds of the stock mufflers with the perforated pipes sealed - $ 200 gets you the sound of $ 1,500+ exhaust systems...
Never heard of that?! Do you have any more information about that?
Couldn't find anything about it on the forum.
I'm thinking about getting the Fusion but after listening to the audio files and reading through experiences in this thread it sounds like it will be too loud for me in the closed position. I really like the possibility of going into "silent mode" but then I also like to get really loud sometimes. The perfect exhaust for me would be the stock exhaust being a lot more aggressive when the valves are open.

Ryan
Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Bitbuster
Never heard of that?! Do you have any more information about that?
Couldn't find anything about it on the forum.

Ryan
I agree....I have not seen this either...Can you provide more info?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Flash 3
Advanced

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I like loud and don't mind the drone, and the drone only bothers me when I an going uphill in 6th at about 60MPH. I just close the butterflies if the drone bothers me.

The stock mufflers with the butterflies open was too mild for my taste so I had the stock mufflers modded. Now they are just right...

BEFORE

AFTER

The result is similar to a Corsa system except you don't get the corsa burble at idle (I had Corsa Indy's on my C5). The mod makes the mufflers sound great at WOT. And this mod only cost me $250.

Mods: Calloway Honker CAI, Kooks headers, hi-flow Cats, X-Pipe.

I think this is what he means
Old 09-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Bob_Green
Racer

Might be helpful to you to find a Corsa thread. That way you can get some feedback from folks that chose to go with that system.
I've been listening and looking for 2 years before I made my choice. If you could make it over the pond and to a large Corvette event, you could probably hear all the different systems. It really helps to hear them in person.

Bob
thats a great idea I should have had - a large corvette event to "test drive" things. When/where is the next one??

Can anybody answer this: at 70-80mph on the highway, in sixth gear, ist he BBFusion system with 2 pipes open quieter than the stock system with all 4 open (fuse pulled, M2W, etc.)?

Is the loudest form of the stock system louder than the quietest mode of the fusions?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Bitbuster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flash 3
I think this is what he means
Interesting! Does that only change the sound when the valves are open or is sound in closed position also louder?

Ryan
Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, don't have headers yet but looking into it. I did have headers on my 06 but stock exhaust. I think, with headers, I would just run it all the time in the "quiet" mode and that would be agressive enough for me.
Bob
Hi Bob. Do you feel that you picked up any horsepower with this system even though people buy them for the sound. A few extra ponies would be some nice icing on the cake. I'm from RI so maybe we can run into each other at a Vette event so I can hear them. Thanx.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Bob, thanks for sharing your opinion. I am so glad your experience with the Billy Boat Fusion System was similar to mine. I started to get a little worried as sound (like taste, smell, and sight) is a subjective sense that what some may find pleasant others may not. I would hate to of convinced someone to purchase the B&B Corvette Fusion System and they hate it.

See ya,

Jim Vose
Jim - Any way that you can post a link on this thread to a soundtrack of the B & B system?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Larry T
Racer

Recieved the "B&B FUSION" yesterday and had them installed this morning. WOW!!! That is a quantum leap in sound. It sounds like a high performance motor should sound. Throaty and as you climb through the RPM range; it sounds like a cage of wildcats let loose at higher RPMs. Not obnoxious at all. At speed there is quite a bit of drone if you are "lugging" the engine in the 1000-2000 range. I have the Mild to Wild and that will bring the system back "close" to stock as far as sound levels are concerned.
I had a local shop, Performance Truck and Diesel, install the system as they have new two post lifts and that is a must as far as I am concerned in as much as the rear suspension needs to be relaxed to its fullest to remove and install the muffler assemblies. If two people work the job it is much easier. One in back guiding the units in/out as the other person in front of the axle tells other which way to twist in order to effect easy removal/installation. We dropped the "H" pipe in the beginning as it makes life really easy. Disconnecting the rear torsion bar at the mount two points and swiveling it down to the cross member adds much needed clearance. One word of caution, when installing the passenger side assembly, watch that the exhaust tube doesn't snag the wire harness just above the axle; guide the tube past this area carefully. Thanx to Butch and Pete at Performance Truck and Diesel; total time wheels off the ground to wheels down...40 minutes! B&B, the design and manufacturing is outstanding, you have a winner with the "Fusion"; and again, thanks to Southern Car Parts(Jim) for a great deal.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM
black-on-black
Instructor

B&B is the way to go!

Sounds a lot better than the Corsa and Borla exhausts...
Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Larry T
Recieved the "B&B FUSION" yesterday and had them installed this morning. WOW!!! That is a quantum leap in sound. It sounds like a high performance motor should sound. Throaty and as you climb through the RPM range; it sounds like a cage of wildcats let loose at higher RPMs. Not obnoxious at all. At speed there is quite a bit of drone if you are "lugging" the engine in the 1000-2000 range. I have the Mild to Wild and that will bring the system back "close" to stock as far as sound levels are concerned.
I had a local shop, Performance Truck and Diesel, install the system as they have new two post lifts and that is a must as far as I am concerned in as much as the rear suspension needs to be relaxed to its fullest to remove and install the muffler assemblies. If two people work the job it is much easier. One in back guiding the units in/out as the other person in front of the axle tells other which way to twist in order to effect easy removal/installation. We dropped the "H" pipe in the beginning as it makes life really easy. Disconnecting the rear torsion bar at the mount two points and swiveling it down to the cross member adds much needed clearance. One word of caution, when installing the passenger side assembly, watch that the exhaust tube doesn't snag the wire harness just above the axle; guide the tube past this area carefully. Thanx to Butch and Pete at Performance Truck and Diesel; total time wheels off the ground to wheels down...40 minutes! B&B, the design and manufacturing is outstanding, you have a winner with the "Fusion"; and again, thanks to Southern Car Parts(Jim) for a great deal.

Thanks Larry....Glad you like it...

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To B&B Fusion is the system to have for the Z06!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:26 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by john_uk

I had the Corsa on my car also....Checkout this page

Corsa Exhaust Review.

Very nice exhaust, and sounds great at WOT...My only complaint was that the Corsa C6 Z06 Exhaust at idle and mild acceleration it did not sound any different from stock (at least to my ears) and loses the dual mode functionality. Oh, and ZERO drone with the Corsa...No lie there......Corsa's claim of no drone is correct.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Green
thats a great idea I should have had - a large corvette event to "test drive" things. When/where is the next one??

Can anybody answer this: at 70-80mph on the highway, in sixth gear, ist he BBFusion system with 2 pipes open quieter than the stock system with all 4 open (fuse pulled, M2W, etc.)?

Is the loudest form of the stock system louder than the quietest mode of the fusions?
Fusion flaps closed at 70-80 mph is a lot quieter than stock open at that speed. There is a slight hum and when uphill lugging a small drone that is it.

Joe
Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Joezone914
Fusion flaps closed at 70-80 mph is a lot quieter than stock open at that speed. There is a slight hum and when uphill lugging a small drone that is it.

Joe
I agree with you on this.....

Jim

Quick Reply: [Z06] B&B Fusion is the system to have for the Z06!!!