Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 Upgrade to Nav radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 PM
jim_zilla
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Z06 Upgrade to Nav radio

Have a base 2008 1LZ w/o Nav Z06. I wanted to put GM Nav radio (from 08 Z06) in, can this be done as just a swap or do I need new cables, antennae, etc. Is everything there or does it all need to be added? Has anyone done? Comments?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim_zilla
Have a base 2008 1LZ w/o Nav Z06. I wanted to put GM Nav radio (from 08 Z06) in, can this be done as just a swap or do I need new cables, antennae, etc. Is everything there or does it all need to be added? Has anyone done? Comments?
You can do this, but you will need the GPS antennae. Personally unless the GM nav was dirt cheap I would spend 800 or 900 bucks and go after market.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Amen.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:36 AM
jnx911
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by achilds
You can do this, but you will need the GPS antennae. Personally unless the GM nav was dirt cheap I would spend 800 or 900 bucks and go after market.

While it's true you can do it, it will not work completely unless you have a Bose system. So save yourself the time, money and trouble and don't even attempt it (at any price)
Old 09-16-2008, 05:33 AM
jim_zilla
Cruising

Thanks for your help and information. Regarding GPS antenna, I know there is a combo GPS/Cellular for Onstar under front dashpad. Where do they locate GPS antenna for NAV radio? I have discovered all the other antennae locations, AM/FM diversity(2), XM diversity(2), Onstar...now this is the last location.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:36 AM
jim_zilla
Cruising

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice, very insightful. I understand the addition of GPS antenna, but does anyone know if the existing cabling will just connect to radio? (Plug n Play).
Old 09-16-2008, 10:01 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice, very insightful. I understand the addition of GPS antenna, but does anyone know if the existing cabling will just connect to radio? (Plug n Play).
Search the audio section. I think you do need the Bose system. I had the base system and there was only one connector when I installed the aftermarket NAV. I just removed an OEM nav from a 2008 vette and there was the XM conection which you don't need to plug in and two others as well as the gps antanae. You may install a new GPS antanae and sit it on top of the AC duct. It works fine there. Go with the Kenwood.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:52 AM
jnx911
Melting Slicks

Everything you need is there to plug in except the antenna which mounts above and to the left of the nav, but if you don't have Bose, why do you want to install the factory nav?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:55 AM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a better question is why would you want the factory nav or bose at all? both are marginal at best.

First thing I do in any car I buy is rip out the bose crap and install excellent aftermarket. I still have my Stock 08 Z06 navigation... i rarely use it anyway and have much more important things to spend 1000 dollars on (like nitto invo tires) lol
Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It is plug and play. Order the GPS antenna and the microphone for the "A" pillar and it all works great. The wire harness for the mic is already in the "A" pillar trim. A quick re-program with a Tech II and you are on the road. Did it in mine and it took all of 45 minutes for everything.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
BenThere
Team Owner

I'm with Toxin in one respect, I strongly suggest you consider how badly you want that GM nav system before you go to the effort and expense. I won't bore you with my take-aways for the system, but there are a few threads that outline the downsides. If I had it to do over, I'd have the 6-disk, including MP3 port and a Garmin nav instead of this system. Take a few minutes and check 'em out before making your final decision and take a ride in a buddies Vette if you can.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
jnx911
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
It is plug and play. Order the GPS antenna and the microphone for the "A" pillar and it all works great. The wire harness for the mic is already in the "A" pillar trim. A quick re-program with a Tech II and you are on the road. Did it in mine and it took all of 45 minutes for everything.
He has a 1LZ base, without Bose I presume, so it would not be a plug and play. While it is true that it will fit and the wires will plug in to the nav, I repeat, not all of the functions will work on the factory nav.

Just get an aftermarket unit, Kennwood seems to be the one of choice.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

don't do it! factory nav is horrible!
go aftermarket.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 PM
jim_zilla
Cruising

First of all I would like to thank all of you for your candid and accurate insights and comments. I have now used the factory system in another Z06, and do not like a lot of features that are part of the system. I am re-thinking my original intentions...thanks to everyones help, time and thoughts.
Owning the Z06 has been a lot of fun, but being part of this forum adds a new dimension to being a Corvette owner. Thank you everyone again.

Jim
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I have the 2LZ in my 08 Z. NAV is garbage and I'm a Garmin GPS NAV distributor...so guess what...today I popped a Garmin Nuvi 760 in and used its FM modulator to play through the radio. The Nuvi is sitting on the windshield next to the mirror and now I have Bluetooth wireless hands-free connection to my phone through the Nuvi, a full featured MP3 player and a traffic receiver, using the Bose as the speaker. It sounds amazing for an FM modulated signal; loud and clear with virtually no FM interference and I can't hear the small amount of hiss, because the Vette is so damn noisy anyway LMAO.

Garmin's NAV blows away the GM NAV...for about $400.00 bucks and takes minutes to setup and install. I will install the 12V wiring through the roofliner/A-pilar to hide it and have it turn on and off through ignition. It would be cool if it could be an in-dash install, but this works beautifully and you CAN enter navigation commands while driving, unlike the factory NAV, which needs $$$$ to get around that. I will add an Aux in adapter to get even better sound quality...but that isn't really all that necessary...I'm just **** about it LOL.

Factory NAV blows -- Go Garmin and get a truckload of useful features; you won't regret it!

You can also snap the Garmin out of its cradle to use in another vehicle whenever you like.

More and more vehicles are now being equipped with Garmin portable NAV units instead of the factory installed overpriced garbage...

Wait till you have to buy the map updates for the GM Nav...LOL

Last edited by FastestBusaAround; 09-16-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 Upgrade to Nav radio

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 Upgrade to Nav radio