2007 vs 2008 Z06 differences? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

2007 vs 2008 Z06 differences?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Tom Steele
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tom Steele's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 5,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2007 vs 2008 Z06 differences?

Hi,

I am looking at used and new Z06's right now. I've got a really good deal on a low mileage 07 and a really good deal on a brand new 08.

We're talking about $5-7k difference on the two cars...

As I understand it the 2008 gets a new tranny. Anyone been able to compare them and is it revolutionary. Were there problems before?

Is NAV any different?

How much does it cost to update the NAV?

Any tips or advice?

Thanks!
Tom Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
427Z
CF Senior Member
 
427Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Fort Worth Tx.
Posts: 7,870
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Steele View Post
Hi,

I am looking at used and new Z06's right now. I've got a really good deal on a low mileage 07 and a really good deal on a brand new 08.

We're talking about $5-7k difference on the two cars...

As I understand it the 2008 gets a new tranny. Anyone been able to compare them and is it revolutionary. Were there problems before?

Is NAV any different?

How much does it cost to update the NAV?

Any tips or advice?

Thanks!
more problems reported with the newr tranny so i dont look at that as un upgrade. the 08 gets a new steering rack with revised pcm settings for the rack.

nav is the same. there is a new nav disc made every year that you can buy for $40


not a whole lot changes on the nav disc.

08 got a nicer looking center console
427Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
'06 Quicksilver Z06
CF Senior Member
 
'06 Quicksilver Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Posts: 29,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Z View Post
...

08 got a nicer looking center console
Which you can buy for the '07 for around $400.00. Fits perfectly.
'06 Quicksilver Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
yanniz
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Posts: 782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

check the build date on the '07 and be aware of the problems that some have had...
yanniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
1-2-b-67L89
CF Senior Member
 
1-2-b-67L89's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: York PA
Posts: 2,406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Tom, if you are looking at keeping this car for some period of years (5+) I would heavily lean toward the new one.
Good luck with your choice and enjoy that forthcoming beast!
1-2-b-67L89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Tom Steele
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tom Steele's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 5,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd definitely prefer the new one, but I'd also like to have $7k extra in my bank account if I'm not going to be disappointed in a <5k mile 2007.

I like what I read about the new tranny, but $7k is a lot of money for a prettier console and a better tranny - especially if the old one works ok.


I don't know how my C5 Z06 tranny relates (I suppose that I could look it up) to the pre-2008 Z06 transmission, but I also owned a 2005 Z51 briefly and it felt alright.

I have a Hurst shifter on the car I have now and would probably put one on the Z06 as well. It shifts fine, but can rattle. I chased the rattle with shifter ***** and all sorts of things, but never completely eliminated it.

As usual, I'm completely torn. A few weeks ago I was looking at 10k mile 2006 Z06's for ~$50k and now somehow I'm considering $65k 2008's sitting on a dealer's lot that will have to be shipped halfway across the U.S. I always end up doing this!

I better buy quick or I'll have a 2009 ZR-1 on order!

-Tom
Tom Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
achilds
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Goleta California
Posts: 2,516
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Steele View Post
I'd definitely prefer the new one, but I'd also like to have $7k extra in my bank account if I'm not going to be disappointed in a <5k mile 2007.

I like what I read about the new tranny, but $7k is a lot of money for a prettier console and a better tranny - especially if the old one works ok.


I don't know how my C5 Z06 tranny relates (I suppose that I could look it up) to the pre-2008 Z06 transmission, but I also owned a 2005 Z51 briefly and it felt alright.

I have a Hurst shifter on the car I have now and would probably put one on the Z06 as well. It shifts fine, but can rattle. I chased the rattle with shifter ***** and all sorts of things, but never completely eliminated it.

As usual, I'm completely torn. A few weeks ago I was looking at 10k mile 2006 Z06's for ~$50k and now somehow I'm considering $65k 2008's sitting on a dealer's lot that will have to be shipped halfway across the U.S. I always end up doing this!

I better buy quick or I'll have a 2009 ZR-1 on order!

-Tom
The 08 will have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. I have the tremec t-056 in my 06 the same as the 07 and it broke a snap ring damaging 1st and the synchro and other things. Luckily it was still under warranty. I don't know about the tremec t-60, but the t-56 has had its share of problems. I would buy the 08 and that is my 2 cents.
achilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
Tom Steele
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tom Steele's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 5,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilds View Post
The 08 will have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. I have the tremec t-056 in my 06 the same as the 07 and it broke a snap ring damaging 1st and the synchro and other things. Luckily it was still under warranty. I don't know about the tremec t-60, but the t-56 has had its share of problems. I would buy the 08 and that is my 2 cents.
Hmm, I was under the impression that the 07's had the 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5 year warranty on powertrain.

Off to research the difference.

That could matter since I tend to keep cars a while.

Thanks!
Tom Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
achilds
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Goleta California
Posts: 2,516
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Steele View Post
Hmm, I was under the impression that the 07's had the 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5 year warranty on powertrain.

Off to research the difference.

That could matter since I tend to keep cars a while.

Thanks!
I think you are correct, but it doesn't hurt to double check.
achilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
bmastroman
Junior Member
 
bmastroman's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Read my post just above yours
bmastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
carcrazyandbroke
CF Senior Member
 
carcrazyandbroke's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Murrells Inlet SC
Posts: 1,490
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I would buy the 08 for the waranty alone; not to mention the other upgrades. Plus a year newer is worth ~$5K. Best of luck with whichever one you choose and enjoy.
carcrazyandbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member
 
QUAKEJAKE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Milford NH
Posts: 5,339
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Steele View Post
I'd definitely prefer the new one, but I'd also like to have $7k extra in my bank account if I'm not going to be disappointed in a <5k mile 2007.

I like what I read about the new tranny, but $7k is a lot of money for a prettier console and a better tranny - especially if the old one works ok.


I don't know how my C5 Z06 tranny relates (I suppose that I could look it up) to the pre-2008 Z06 transmission, but I also owned a 2005 Z51 briefly and it felt alright.

I have a Hurst shifter on the car I have now and would probably put one on the Z06 as well. It shifts fine, but can rattle. I chased the rattle with shifter ***** and all sorts of things, but never completely eliminated it.

As usual, I'm completely torn. A few weeks ago I was looking at 10k mile 2006 Z06's for ~$50k and now somehow I'm considering $65k 2008's sitting on a dealer's lot that will have to be shipped halfway across the U.S. I always end up doing this!

I better buy quick or I'll have a 2009 ZR-1 on order!

-Tom
Had same decision to make this past January.A leftover 07(new) or an 08.Drove both,could not feel the difference esp. for the 7k$ more for the 08
QUAKEJAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
Tom Steele
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tom Steele's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 5,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE View Post
Had same decision to make this past January.A leftover 07(new) or an 08.Drove both,could not feel the difference esp. for the 7k$ more for the 08
Yeah, I am trying to get the 07 for around $56k. I'll have to ship it, but I'll have to ship the new 08 if I get it too.

So that is a wash.

I can use $1,800 in GM card money on the new one, but even using that I am looking at about $63k-$64k out the door on the new one.

A lot may depend on whether I can get the 07 for that price or not...

Thanks for all the input.
Tom Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
BADZ
CF Senior Member
 
BADZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Montgomery Texas
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The t-56 has been a durable tranny for years now. I bought an 07 over an 08 simply because I saved 10k plus the newer tranny has not really been out there too long (not proven). These t-56 tranny everyone has already worked on, the new ones; not very many has worked on them. You get the 5yr 100,000 mile warranty on the powertrain on both.

Good luck whichever you decide, they are all incredible beast!!!!

my .02


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Steele View Post
Yeah, I am trying to get the 07 for around $56k. I'll have to ship it, but I'll have to ship the new 08 if I get it too.

So that is a wash.

I can use $1,800 in GM card money on the new one, but even using that I am looking at about $63k-$64k out the door on the new one.

A lot may depend on whether I can get the 07 for that price or not...

Thanks for all the input.
BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
TAILWAG
CF Senior Member
 
TAILWAG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,029
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

you simply can't go wrong with either one. I was stuck in your same position months ago and debated long and hard between a 2007 and a 2008.

I was trading in my 06 which has the same tranny as the 07...it gave me headaches all the time so I don't have anything good to say about the 06 tranny. The 08 that I bought has 2,500 miles and I have yet to experience ANY issues with the tranny.

I was also looking at a difference of about $ 6,000 between the 07 and the 08. I am happy with the 08.

NOW...IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE 08, I WOULD HIGHLY CONSIDER HAVING SOMEONE IN THE AREA GO AND CHECK IT OUT AND TAKE IT OUTSIDE AND LEAVE IT PARKED IN THE SUN FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. THERE IS A CHANCE IT WILL SIMPLY STINK LIKE A CHEMICAL PLANT. GM WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT.
Something to keep in mind...good luck!
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
Beaver06
CF Senior Member
 
Beaver06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Savannah, Huntsville
Posts: 301
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

GM bought back a friend of mines because of the chemical oder issue. I have an 08 with zero issues, no oder or tranny problems. I love this car!!! I previously had an 04 Zo6, no comparison.
Beaver06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #17
TAILWAG
CF Senior Member
 
TAILWAG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,029
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver06 View Post
GM bought back a friend of mines because of the chemical oder issue. I have an 08 with zero issues, no oder or tranny problems. I love this car!!! I previously had an 04 Zo6, no comparison.
your pal was one of 2 lucky ones...all 17 other claims were denied...including mine...
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #18
Tom Steele
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tom Steele's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 5,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post
your pal was one of 2 lucky ones...all 17 other claims were denied...including mine...
They should have at least given you one of those "tree air fresheners" to hang from the rear view mirror!

P.S. Not making light of your situation, just kidding around.

Last edited by Tom Steele; 09-20-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: cya
Tom Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #19
LowFlight
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03
Senior Member
Cruise-In V Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LowFlight's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Posts: 47,849
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

There was an article in Corvette Enthusiast last year that compared the two. Overall they concluded that someof the upgrades were nice and some were a waste and some (I think it was the steering) was a downgrade in their opinion. If I find it...I will scan it and post it.
LowFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #20
BADZ
CF Senior Member
 
BADZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Montgomery Texas
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

tranny thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2137967
BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 2007 vs 2008 Z06 differences?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    2016 Nav RichinCincy C7 General Discussion 17 08-23-2016 03:16 PM
    radio with nav KKris21188 C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 29 10-17-2015 12:16 PM
    Installed stock NAV how does HUD integration work miwitte C6 Corvette General Discussion 5 12-02-2011 10:47 PM
    Great deal on a Z06 Vito.A C6 Corvettes for Sale 12 03-01-2010 02:03 PM
    Weight Difference Between a 1LZ and 2LZ (Without Nav) JG853 C6 Z06 Discussion 7 11-16-2007 01:30 PM


    Tags
    07, 09, 2006, 2007, 20072008, 2008, 6speed, compare, corvette, difference, differences, hurst, shifter, vx, z06, zo6

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.