Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Luweegy
Just been waiting for a tsb so I don't have to go thru all the run arounds.
Smart move.

While I haven't had the *pleasure* of this crap happening on my '08, yet. I can afford to be patient & wait for the inevitable TSB, also.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 PM
trickability
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good to know ,I did not know they changed the trans from my o6. Hope you all get everything worked out.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 Cyber Grey Z
Any issues with the trans in the 09's?

Sorry...didn't see above posts...

so yeah...sounds like it's happening to 09's as well. I have an 09 Z...but not sure if I have the problem or not...can you guys explain what the problem is exactly? Grinding, difficult to go into gear? When you say grinding...do you mean a similar sound, feeling, as when one misses a gear? How difficult are we talking bout going into gear? This will help me know what to look for.

Cheers Gentlemen.
Yes, its happening on the 09's as well. Mine is living proof, 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. Oh well.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM
dwiemers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the problem too.....8.5K, if we need to start a list or something, I'M IN!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:24 PM
phantom427
Instructor

add mine to the list, 08 z06 with approx 1200 miles. grinds like a mother f#$%er going into second upshifting or down shifting, warm or cold. started at about 900 miles with it being difficult to get into gear, now is completely toast.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have an 08 Z. Just turned 2000 miles...No tranny problems as far as grinding...When cold, just a little notchy 1-2nd gear, but once the tranny is warmed up some, it's gone...

Last edited by LT5 John; 07-26-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:36 PM
evo8 MR
Racer

Originally Posted by bmastroman
GM is playing hardball with a potential flaw with the tremac T6060 MM6 transmission. To make a long story short my new Z purchased in May 2008 had that so called cold grind shifting into second. Brought car to dealer and had syncro's and 2nd gear replaced. Machanic saw what he called an unusual metal burn where the syncro's seat. 400 miles later same grinding problem especially with shifts at +3500 rps. Tranny taken apart again, same exact problem same exact metal burn. I demanded a new tranny. Dealer recommeded the ball go to GM's court because of what they believed was a potential flaw. This dealer is not the dealer I purchased this vehicle from. GM wanted it fixed again before they would even concider a new tranny. New syncros and gear was sent to dealer. Took 3 week to get. Dealer said parts were out of stock and GM was getting a new vender. Part came in two days ago and were rusted in the package upon delivery. Dealer said he would not put those parts in the tranny, they were flawed. I am still waiting for new parts. Between both repair attempts the car has been apart sitting in the shop over 5 weeks. My many complaints to GM have been a waste of time. The warantee complaint center is handled in Argentina and they do nothing but try to blow smoke up you *** while they sheild GM of any direct contact. I believe that there is a milling problem with the syncros or the gear they seat on and GM may being trying to delay any potential recalls of the T6060. A lemon law attorney has taken on this case even though this has not yet been the third repair attempt to qualify at no cost to me. Car only has 2,000 miles. Those of you 08 Z owners who have 2nd gear grind problems who have been told it is because the tranny needs to be warmed up may have the same flaw my Z has. GM CUSTOMER SERVICE is horrible.
You are actually very lucky. My GM dealer is a total piece os $HIT, I took my car 4 times for grinding issues and they say that they couldn't help.

I hate my car a lot. I consider it now a total POS. I paid too much money to have many issues. It upsets me to see that other dealers actually get to do repairs when a customer bring their cars but they don't offer me a transmission repair. *** them all.

I knew there was an issue on the TR6060. In fact the Camaro SS are not being delivered to the customers because of a Quality assurance going on right now. I know that because I recently(last Friday) I purchased a car from a person that ordered his Camaro SS RS a few months ago and his car is built but waiting for a recall, this is all about the TR6060 that I complained since I almost got my 08 Z06.
Have I had my car covered under warranty or fixed my tranny issues and I wouldn't be here talking $hit but they never fix $hit for me and that is why I have to talk $hit about GM. Basically I never had an oportunity to have my shyncros replaced or nothing like that. There are people here that actually abuse their cars and get their mechanical failures repaired, why can't they fix mine? Chevrolet does not offer a standard warranty like Hyundai or Saturn were you can take your car with the peace on mind that they will repair whatever is wrong with their car because it is under warranty, no questions ask.

Why is it that you get better service on a Kia, Hyundai or Saturn and paid only $15000 but instead you can take your Z06 which cost more than $70000 and they wouldn't even look at your car despite taking it for the same issues 4 times.
*** THEM ALL!!! That is all I have to say

Last edited by evo8 MR; 07-25-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:52 PM
evo8 MR
Racer

Originally Posted by phantom427
add mine to the list, 08 z06 with approx 1200 miles. grinds like a mother f#$%er going into second upshifting or down shifting, warm or cold. started at about 900 miles with it being difficult to get into gear, now is completely toast.
Welocome to the club of "supercar POS status".. Mine started gringing at around 1400 miles.

I have had POS beaters cars with hundreds thousand miles that never grinded yet the"super car Z06" grinds badly..uhmmm
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by evo8 MR
they wouldn't even look at your car despite taking it for the same issues 4 times.
How about seeking an attorney to help you pursue the lemon law and "be done with it" instead of whinning about it???

Seems to me that there's more your case otherwise it would be a no brainer...
Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 AM
RED HAWK
Racer

Sorry to hear about all these GM/Z06 problems. However, as a U.S. taxpayer that is being ripped off bailing out banks, insurance companies, Fannie & Fredie, wall street and U.S. automakers I do not want to spend more of my tax dollars fixing Vettes. Same goes for the new Fiat Vipers. I seriously considered buying a Z06 last year as a daily driver. After reading this Forum about this issue and the rocker arm needle bearing issue I decided against it and got the Lexus IS F.
Keeping my bulletproof '98 Viper forever. However, I will buy no more American cars especially considering the bailout bull****. Lexus from now on. I don't like "car guys" like those on this Forum having to deal with these problems and wish you the best. However, you should consider buying elsewhere from now on. It's only going to get worse for GM and Fiat/Chrysler.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
How about seeking an attorney to help you pursue the lemon law and "be done with it" instead of whinning about it???

Seems to me that there's more your case otherwise it would be a no brainer...
His car is not stock for one and that could be a problem, IDK? I've never had a problem with any car manufacturer fixing a car under warranty when the car was bone stock. Saab, Hyundai, Bmw, GM, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc.

You start adding mods and that grey area becomes very large and up for debate. I bitch a decent amount about my car, but have come to grips with it is what it is.

The car is a blast, fun, looks great, is fast , for most of us very reliable. Hopefully when I add a extra 60-70whp mine will continue to be reliable.

1348 miles so far on mine no grind at all.

Last edited by Jasil; 07-26-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Daytona-flyer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you that have lousy dealers, shop around. The three Chevy dealers I have dealt with over the years have all been great. The sales people may suck but the service departments have always bent over backwards to make me happy. I don't recall ever bringing a car back for a poor repair. I've gotten loaner cars or a ride home whenever I have asked.

And BTW the Z06 is far from a POS because the transmission fluid has to warm up. Who wants to power shift a cold engine anyhow. I'm now driving my second Z06, the first was an '04 C5, and have had zero issues with either car.

For those who just read the posts and don't own a 'vette, remember, the issues posted here represent only a small fraction of owners.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:55 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

You are actually very lucky. My GM dealer is a total piece os $HIT, I took my car 4 times for grinding issues and they say that they couldn't help.

I hate my car a lot. I consider it now a total POS. I paid too much money to have many issues. It upsets me to see that other dealers actually get to do repairs when a customer bring their cars but they don't offer me a transmission repair. *** them all.

I knew there was an issue on the TR6060. In fact the Camaro SS are not being delivered to the customers because of a Quality assurance going on right now. I know that because I recently(last Friday) I purchased a car from a person that ordered his Camaro SS RS a few months ago and his car is built but waiting for a recall, this is all about the TR6060 that I complained since I almost got my 08 Z06.
Have I had my car covered under warranty or fixed my tranny issues and I wouldn't be here talking $hit but they never fix $hit for me and that is why I have to talk $hit about GM. Basically I never had an oportunity to have my shyncros replaced or nothing like that. There are people here that actually abuse their cars and get their mechanical failures repaired, why can't they fix mine? Chevrolet does not offer a standard warranty like Hyundai or Saturn were you can take your car with the peace on mind that they will repair whatever is wrong with their car because it is under warranty, no questions ask.

Why is it that you get better service on a Kia, Hyundai or Saturn and paid only $15000 but instead you can take your Z06 which cost more than $70000 and they wouldn't even look at your car despite taking it for the same issues 4 times.
*** THEM ALL!!! That is all I have to say
damn mang, tell us how you really feel.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:20 PM
phantom427
Instructor

ill keep you guys posted on what they decide with mine. Car is 100% stock minus tint and rpi blackouts. I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow morning. I do know one thing though, they deny the warranty, I will never buy gm again, and GM is all I have bought for years.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:23 PM
phantom427
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daytona-flyer

And BTW the Z06 is far from a POS because the transmission fluid has to warm up. Who wants to power shift a cold engine anyhow.
I wish mine was just because the fluid was cold. i attributed the early onset of the difficult engagement to this fact even though it truly never went away, but now the synchro is totally gone.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 8 Posts

Welocome to the club of "supercar POS status".. Mine started gringing at around 1400 miles.

I have had POS beaters cars with hundreds thousand miles that never grinded yet the"super car Z06" grinds badly..uhmmm
You have got to be kidding me. POS????
Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by phantom427
ill keep you guys posted on what they decide with mine. Car is 100% stock minus tint and rpi blackouts. I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow morning. I do know one thing though, they deny the warranty, I will never buy gm again, and GM is all I have bought for years.
Why would they deny warranty ....... ?

DH

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LT5 John
I also have an 08 Z. Just turned 2000 miles...No tranny problems as far as grinding...When cold, just a little notchy 1-2nd gear, but once the tranny is warmed up some, it's gone...
Supposedly that's the sign. First it's notchy, then it stays notchy, then a slight grind, then grind all the time. For both of our sakes let's hope not!!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bob09ZCG
You have got to be kidding me. POS????
I think the issue, and I can relate, is both of us have had some great experience with other makes/models before owning a "Z06". We both have had cars putting out double the factory HP and the cars were rock solid reliable, so for a 70K supercar to have these nagging issues he's a little ticked. I can understand that!!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Why would they deny warranty ....... ?

DH
Don't know, but GM knows and they own a Lemon Lawed Z06 for the exact same problem even admitting it in arbitration and stating they thought they were doing me a favor not replacing my transmission. Mine ground in 1-2 and 3-4 cold and also warm. 4 times to three different Chevy dealers and four times they said no to the fix. GM refuses to acknowledge a problem with the TR6060 for the liability issues with fixing all of them.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's