Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
phantom427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Why would they deny warranty ....... ?

DH
who knows, seems to be common these days if you read the threads.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think some early build 08's still had the T-56.I've got a 08 with 2k miles on it I don't even drive.1-2 shift is terrible and so is 2-3.Just waiting to see a real fix.Then I'll take it in.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:24 PM
phantom427
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04Z16
Don't know, but GM knows and they own a Lemon Lawed Z06 for the exact same problem even admitting it in arbitration and stating they thought they were doing me a favor not replacing my transmission. Mine ground in 1-2 and 3-4 cold and also warm. 4 times to three different Chevy dealers and four times they said no to the fix. GM refuses to acknowledge a problem with the TR6060 for the liability issues with fixing all of them.
if they give me issues for the same issues you have had, may i contact you via pm?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil
I think the issue, and I can relate, is both of us have had some great experience with other makes/models before owning a "Z06". We both have had cars putting out double the factory HP and the cars were rock solid reliable, so for a 70K supercar to have these nagging issues he's a little ticked. I can understand that!!
I understand this as well -- but calling it a POS is a little over the edge. Issues?? Yes. Frustrating? - Damn right!! But a POS it's not. I, like you, have built cars as well. Some with issues, some without. Most of the issues I had were from my own stupidity in "over-modding". Some of the issues I see here are from modding also. Either way though, it does seem as though its a crap shoot. My 06 and 07 had very very few issues and they experienced some very spirited driving. My 09, so far, has been problem free ( we will see about the tranny). Am I the exception with 3 Z06's? I don't think so. But maybe. Also, you are right about these nagging issues on a 70K car. Thats the part thats hardest to swallow.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by phantom427
if they give me issues for the same issues you have had, may i contact you via pm?
By all means, I have all the paperwork and stuff saved in electronic format. There is a TSB to address the grind, when the trans is cold TSB 2073364. I'll look in my files and see if I still have a copy and scan it in.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bob09ZCG
I understand this as well -- but calling it a POS is a little over the edge. Issues?? Yes. Frustrating? - Damn right!! But a POS it's not. I, like you, have built cars as well. Some with issues, some without. Most of the issues I had were from my own stupidity in "over-modding". Some of the issues I see here are from modding also. Either way though, it does seem as though its a crap shoot. My 06 and 07 had very very few issues and they experienced some very spirited driving. My 09, so far, has been problem free ( we will see about the tranny). Am I the exception with 3 Z06's? I don't think so. But maybe. Also, you are right about these nagging issues on a 70K car. Thats the part thats hardest to swallow.
I congratulate you on having three great Z06's. My 04 was great and I kick myself for stepping into a C6. Both were Lemons from the factory. It will be a few years before I can build the trust again to test Chevy and a Corvette.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 8 Posts

I congratulate you on having three great Z06's. My 04 was great and I kick myself for stepping into a C6. Both were Lemons from the factory. It will be a few years before I can build the trust again to test Chevy and a Corvette.
Don't congratulate me -- I had nothing to do with it. I guess it was the luck of the drawer . Isn't it a shame how your confidence has been destroyed. Best of luck
Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 PM
phantom427
Instructor

By all means, I have all the paperwork and stuff saved in electronic format. There is a TSB to address the grind, when the trans is cold TSB 2073364. I'll look in my files and see if I still have a copy and scan it in.
i will be in touch if things go south, thank you. sad how i am thinking of already selling the z06 to get an new 5.2 r8 isnt it?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

After fighting with the dealerships, GM and the BBB I was worn out. The 07 was a 8 month fight with the dealership and GM. I could have done a Lemon on it but opted to get the 08 for a good deal. After the 5 month fight to get that one fixed, well it will be a long time till I buy a Chevy again. I avoid the dealerships in this area like a plague. I drive 1 hour and 45 minutes to Louisville for service or warranty on either the Caddy or my wife's TBSS. I do most of my own maintenance but the stuff I need a dealer for will be the trip over to the Dealer I bought the CTS-V from who just happens to sell Chevy's. I've bought GM all my adult life mostly Chevy. The Cadillac was my first non Chevy in over 28 years. So far with the experience I've had with that I don't see it as being my last. I'll even opt for a GMC truck over a Chevy.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

i will be in touch if things go south, thank you. sad how i am thinking of already selling the z06 to get an new 5.2 r8 isnt it?
If the dealers would have fixed the car I'd still be driving the Z. Once GM bought back the Z, I did a lot of soul searching to see if I should give GM a chance again or switch to another brand. I opted to try the CTS-V and so far am very happy and impressed with the car.
Good luck with the dealer, not all of them are bad and from what I've read on the forums here there good ones who fight for their customers and help them out.
Feel free to either PM or shoot an email if you need any of the arbitration information. If they try to scuff you off with the TSB ask to see it and point out the 32 degree statement in the write up.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

who knows, seems to be common these days if you read the threads.
Oh I read the threads .......

I even post on them once in awhile

DH
Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 PM
phantom427
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Oh I read the threads .......

I even post on them once in awhile

DH
sorry, that post does come off in bad way now that I reread it. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, but more of a rhetorical statement of people being denied warranties for any reason GM can think of.

Went to the dealer today, going to bring the car in tomorrow or wed depending on my work schedule. The service guys said it was their first 08 in for the problem, but did not seem surprised by the issue. The fun begins.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

sorry, that post does come off in bad way now that I reread it. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, but more of a rhetorical statement of people being denied warranties for any reason GM can think of.

Went to the dealer today, going to bring the car in tomorrow or wed depending on my work schedule. The service guys said it was their first 08 in for the problem, but did not seem surprised by the issue. The fun begins.
No problem and good luck at the dealer .....

DH
Old 07-27-2009, 03:15 PM
-vet
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default old vs. new

Did the 2006 Z06 also suffer from these transmission problems or is it only cars with the re-designed transmission? Further is it a design problem or a bad batch of parts. Someone with a 2009 was also complaining about their transmission to. Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

It might not be all tranny problems. I was told it is more likely the clutch not disengaging fast enough and causing the synchros to grind. Once they start it just keeps going till eventually failure. This would make sense when you think of the ZR1, same trans with no reports of grinding and a twin disc clutch.
Same for the CTS-V, twin disc clutch no grind. Something to ponder about. Think of all the mass between the rear of the car and the engine via the torque tube. The clutch, at the engine in the front, releases and all the interia in the torque tube and tranny must be matched up via the synchro to engage the next gear. If the synchro is borderline anyway and the clutch holds on for just a little bit longer, the grind.
Just my 0.02 worth.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
-vet
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default fix-it

It might not be all tranny problems. I was told it is more likely the clutch not disengaging fast enough and causing the synchros to grind. Once they start it just keeps going till eventually failure. This would make sense when you think of the ZR1, same trans with no reports of grinding and a twin disc clutch.
Same for the CTS-V, twin disc clutch no grind. Something to ponder about. Think of all the mass between the rear of the car and the engine via the torque tube. The clutch, at the engine in the front, releases and all the interia in the torque tube and tranny must be matched up via the synchro to engage the next gear. If the synchro is borderline anyway and the clutch holds on for just a little bit longer, the grind.
Just my 0.02 worth.
It would be interesting if people with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel didn't have the grinding issue...would sort of prove your theory! Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM
phantom427
Instructor

well, finally got the car back today, monsoon like rains/flash flooding here today so no post work inspection. All seems well the quick drive home. GM did cover it all under warranty though, replaced second gear, sychros and bearings.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's

Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 PM
bobmac427
Intermediate

FWIW...
Had a 2002 Z06, put about 20K miles on the car with no problems

Had a 2006 Z06, also put around 20K and no problems.

Have a 2008 Z06 that currently had 20,500 miles on the OD and yes the shifter does a bit of grinding(in 2nd) when cold but it goes away quickly and the car runs great.

I do feel for you guys with the tranny problem. I would be crazy if it were my car. Some of us have been lucky I guess.

Mac
Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmac427
FWIW...
Had a 2002 Z06, put about 20K miles on the car with no problems

Had a 2006 Z06, also put around 20K and no problems.

Have a 2008 Z06 that currently had 20,500 miles on the OD and yes the shifter does a bit of grinding(in 2nd) when cold but it goes away quickly and the car runs great.

I do feel for you guys with the tranny problem. I would be crazy if it were my car. Some of us have been lucky I guess.

Mac
My 03 did that from the day I bought it 6 years ago with 18K miles on it. Now it has 43K and it will still grind 2nd when cold. If I remember right my 97 did it as well and I had that car for 6 years. Never considered it to be a problem and so far haven't been bitten by anything. Just because there is a noise or grind every now and then doesn't mean there is anything wrong. Maybe there is too much fixing something that isn't broken going on.

Bill
Old 08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Morrisman
Instructor

My '08 Z06 is now sitting at the dealership waiting for tranny parts. GM is going to warranty the work, but took them a couple of days of negotiation to agree to this. They said tranny broke from me driving too hard. Not true. 5,000 miles on the car. Sometimes the gears would grind going into reverse. Embarrassing to grind gears in an expensive car. People are thinking I have an expensive sports car but I don't even know how to shift gears. Plus, it would not go into 5th when trying to shift above 5,500 rpm. I brought it to the dealership a couple of months ago and dealership said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I'm sure they tried their best. The problems remained and slowly got worse until it would no longer go into reverse at all. I am now relieved that it broke to a point where GM cannot deny there is a problem. I had been driving it for two months waiting for this day to come. Dealership tried to get me to admit that I race the car at the track, which I don't. I have one mod on the car, Hoosier R6 tires, which they assumed means I race the car. Our driving season up here in Canada is only about 4 months long, which is about how long these tires will last if you don't track the car. I need new tires every year, but man does this car ever corner nice with these tires. The stock tires really hold this car back. The dealer also complained that "What are you doing driving so fast that you are shifting into 5th gear at 5,500 rpm?". I didn't buy this car to just stare at it in my garage. I open it up once in a while and appreciate it's abilities. Some day I plan to start tracking this car a few times a year and doing some mods to it like R6 tires, big brake kit, and cam, but not until I am sure that all the stock parts are in good working order while it is still under warranty.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's