Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] bad move on my part, Centerforce clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default bad move on my part, Centerforce clutch

Thinking that I would improve my car for HPDE's I replaced my stock clutch with a Center force clutch. My Tech said that he's used it on all his customers cars without a problem but I should know that there will be some chatter for a time period, the chatter is getting less as expected. With the Center force I'm hearing all sorts of rattling noises at idle with the clutch let out but goes away when the clutch is depressed. Also, if I don't let the clutch out and add throttle perfectly I hear a metal grinding and scraping noise as I roll forward or reverse but goes away as rpm increases. I never had this happen with my stock clutch and I've been driving manual transmissions for over 30 years and never had this happen. Has anyone had this happen
Old 10-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Several people on this forum have this clutch, you should get some reply. It will be intresting to hear what some of the guys have to say.

I hope you do not have to go into it again.

good luck.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:22 AM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is the stock clutch not sufficient for HPDE events? I have never had a problem with my stock clutch on 3 of my corvettes that I have tracked.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get an aluminum flywheel with that clutch? Has anyone tried one?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

I have same issue only sitting at idle with foot off clutch. It is called gear rattle. The stock clutch has some kind of vibration damper whereas your clutch does not. If car is moving say in neutral even say 5 mphwith foot off clutch it goes away becuse gears are now moving.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by double06
I have same issue only sitting at idle with foot off clutch. It is called gear rattle. The stock clutch has some kind of vibration damper whereas your clutch does not. If car is moving say in neutral even say 5 mphwith foot off clutch it goes away becuse gears are now moving.
The rattle is typical of some performance clutches. That probably wouldn't bother me knowing that it is to be expected. Like someone else mentioned, I'd be curious to know what others say about it that have this clutch setup.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:50 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

I spoke with Centerforce and my tech, both stated that the rattling at idle and the metal on metal noise as you release the clutch and give it throttle are totally normal. So the tittle of my thread is wrong, I made the right choice for a performance clutch and shouldn't drive my tech crazy
Old 10-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I spoke with Centerforce and my tech, both stated that the rattling at idle and the metal on metal noise as you release the clutch and give it throttle are totally normal. So the tittle of my thread is wrong, I made the right choice for a performance clutch and shouldn't drive my tech crazy
PM sent
Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a CF dual friction clutch on my '03 Cobra, and have never noticed any of the symptoms you describe. Maybe that's simply due to differences inherent in Ford vs. Chevy clutches. Is yours a DF model? The stock clutch has been fine in my Z.

CW
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
monkeyzo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me to. I run my stock clutch for the HPDE events as well, but Im sure thats water under the bridge for you now.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 PM
IRVINEC6
Racer

I had a Centerforce clutch put in my 08 Z06, and I too have the embarassing rattle at idle with the clutch pedal out. I hate it. I wish the people who already had the clutch installed would of warned the rest of us about this. I heard that the Ram clutch did this but only heard good things about the Centerforce, so I went with it. For now, I leave the clutch pedal in most of the time while at a light.

Dissapointed that the aftermarket cannot make a quiet clutch. Maybe the ZR1 clutch maker will come out with something.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The lighter weight clutch do increase drivetrain noise. The splines on the tube and the gears in the tranny is what you are hearing. These are all "normal' sounds after installing a trick flywheel and pressure plate. The cars because of thier sporty nature will transmitt the feeling into the driver.
I don't know anything about the centerforce clutches as of late.

You guys think these are loud, go listen to a ZF out of a 90's vette with a little flywheel. They sound like a tin can full of marbles.

Some cars will be louder then others...

Randy
Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=IRVINEC6;1567409290] For now, I leave the clutch pedal in most of the time while at a light.
QUOTE]

This is very hard on the throwout bearing. You should just get louder exhaust to help drone the noise out.

Randy
Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the Fidanza twin 6.5 with a lightweight flywheel and have the same problem. I am having the ZR1 clutch installed tomorrow. I will say that the ZR1 clutch/flywheel is substantially hevier than the stock Z06 clutch (approx 60-65 lbs) and my Fidanza (32 lbs). I would guess it at 100-125 lbs, but will weigh it tomorrow. I'll post results next week.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:16 AM
ForcedVette
Racer

out of balance
Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Fidanza unit I had was a balanced unit. The noise was gear lash coming form the tranny. The vibrations are transferred through the lighter unit directly to the gear slop in the tranny.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:16 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by ForcedVette
out of balance
not according to my tech and centerforce, maybe you can clear things up. please explain, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To bad move on my part, Centerforce clutch

Old 10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

The noise in the CF clutch is from the counterweights on the pressure plate. When the motor is at idle and the clutch is not depressed the weights are at rest, when the rpm's increase the weights are pushed outward and come under tension and stop rattling.

The weights are there to keep the pedal from sticking to the floor at very high rpm's, you can remove the weights and the clutch will function like the stock unit.

I have a CF2 and can hear the same thing from time to time.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGunn
The noise in the CF clutch is from the counterweights on the pressure plate. When the motor is at idle and the clutch is not depressed the weights are at rest, when the rpm's increase the weights are pushed outward and come under tension and stop rattling.

The weights are there to keep the pedal from sticking to the floor at very high rpm's, you can remove the weights and the clutch will function like the stock unit.

I have a CF2 and can hear the same thing from time to time.
BINGO. And all the other noises are normal.

Jim
Old 10-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get ready to buy a TOB and slave and pay labor to replace it.Incorrect installed hieght IMOP.Same happened to mine,bought a lift so I can do it myself.Car has sat another 6 wks.At least keeps the miles down.LMAO

Quick Reply: [Z06] bad move on my part, Centerforce clutch