Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 AM   #1
hudsonsrule
CF Member

Default 2nd to 3rd missed shift

When my 2006 Zo6 was new it never missed a shift from 2nd to 3rd. But now for the past year or so, when accelorating hard & shifting at 90-100 MPH it will never go into 3rd (works fine if driving slow & shift anytime under 70). My warranty will expire july 4th 2009. I was wondering if there were any recalls or service bulletens pertaining to this? I know they changed the tranny in later years with a different unit (but hear the gearing is different & slower). Is this something GM should fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
hudsonsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
Chuck A
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have a c5 and i know what you are saying it feels as though you need to be HULK to push it in gear,
Chuck A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
hudsonsrule
CF Member

no mine will not under any conditions shift into 3rd
Old 10-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
Dark Shadow

sounds like you have bent keys.
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
hudsonsrule
CF Member

Bent Keys? I have heard of bent forks, is that what you mean?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Short-Throw
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a very common question that pops up on the forum regularly.

Can you articulate your hand position when shifting? Are you grabbing the shifter **** with your entire hand?

It may not be the case with your car, but many have problems with the 2-3 shift because of hand position. There is no need to guide or force it to third. There is no need to add extra force. It's actually easier if you gently push the stick with your open palm (fingers up).

If this isn't the case, you could have a 3rd gear synchro issue.

Mike
Short-Throw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
gonzalezfj
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short-Throw View Post
This is a very common question that pops up on the forum regularly.

Can you articulate your hand position when shifting? Are you grabbing the shifter **** with your entire hand?

It may not be the case with your car, but many have problems with the 2-3 shift because of hand position. There is no need to guide or force it to third. There is no need to add extra force. It's actually easier if you gently push the stick with your open palm (fingers up).

If this isn't the case, you could have a 3rd gear synchro issue.

Mike
Or a bent shift fork, which is a known issue with Tremec transmissions of that vintage .

Frank Gonzalez
gonzalezfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Dark Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonsrule View Post
Bent Keys? I have heard of bent forks, is that what you mean?
ya sorry. normal for t56's not sure with tr6060's. but you might as well upgrade to billet keys.

or get it under warranty and see if they can put in the tr6060

Last edited by Dark Shadow; 10-18-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
hudsonsrule
CF Member

I keep hearing about "keys" The last manual transmission I was into was muncie 4 speed, it had shifter forks, whats a key? are they the rectangular straight pieces that the gears slide on?
Old 10-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
ELP_JC
CF Senior Member

If tranny shifts fine at 70 or less, it's not the tranny IMO. I remember reading about the same issue on the LS2 GTO forum, and it was related to the clutch. The extra inertia of higher rpms was somehow preventing proper gear engagement, but don't remember the exact cause. People who replaced their clutches with aftermarket units had zero problems afterwards. Just a comment. Good luck.
JC

Last edited by ELP_JC; 10-18-2008 at 03:18 PM.
ELP_JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
joe11204
Procharged F3R 7.685/185
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
When my 2006 Zo6 was new it never missed a shift from 2nd to 3rd. But now for the past year or so, when accelorating hard & shifting at 90-100 MPH it will never go into 3rd (works fine if driving slow & shift anytime under 70). My warranty will expire july 4th 2009. I was wondering if there were any recalls or service bulletens pertaining to this? I know they changed the tranny in later years with a different unit (but hear the gearing is different & slower). Is this something GM should fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I just got a new trans installed in my car and I have the exact same problem. Even following Rangers advise of palm push towards the direction of the radio, I cannot shift into 3rd from 2nd at a high RPM. I have found that by not forcibly trying to shift I have no problems regardless of what RPM I'm shifting. I can only describe it as holding the shifter as if I was playing air hockey and moving the shift **** towards the radio. Remember the shifter wants to return towards the 3rd gear gate so I'm basically just nudging it to that position instead of pushing it into that position with the palm of my hand.

This is what works for me. Might not be the same situation for you. I feel there is some sort of alignment issue with the shift gate, but after the experience I had recently with my dealer I'd rather not have them mess with it.
joe11204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Oli1313
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09
Support Corvetteforum!

I learned with my C6 coupe not to try to guide third in, but just push it up. I have not had any problems with my Z06.
Oli1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
dgdoc
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Using the heel of your palm and driving it towards the radio is the most reliable way to do it. No fingers and do not try to guide it. Let the springs in the shifter do the work.

I used to have some trouble with this as well, but figured out the problem was me. My timing and synchronization of the clutch pedal was a tiny bit different on 2-3 than on 1-2, or 3-4. In other words, pulling on the shifter and stabbing the clutch is a slightly different motion than pushing the shifter and stabbing the clutch -- and that tiny difference in timing can make you miss the gear.

One other tip that helped at the track was moving my seat closer to assure I was getting a full clutch cycle.

Of course there could be a problem with your linkage not being aligned correctly - easy for the dealer to check/correct. But my guess is it probably isn't a linkage issue since you mentioned it works fine under normal condition.
dgdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
Racer
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Never had bent forks, but until I changed my 2-3 shift style, I missed a whole lot of 2-3 shifts. :o
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #15
Dik Kurteous

Push the clutch in sooner before you try and put it in gear###
Dik Kurteous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #16
dfinke23
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Have your dealership perform any warranty work, then install an MGW. I don't know that it is possible to miss a shift with that unit.
dfinke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #17
Bill's ZO6
CF Senior Member

I had that exact problem and I appreciated Ranger's shifting advice but that wouldn't solve my problem. I took it to my local chevrolet dealer last year and they said they couldn't get it not to shift into 3rd. The problem continued for a year. I took it back for a routine service interval and I told them to accellerate in 2nd up to a fairly high rpm and then try to get the car into 3rd. Once they saw the problem they replaced my shifter linkage. I can get the part number off of my service invoice if you need it. Whatever they did it fixed the problem. PM or email me if you want me to look it up tonight. Good luck in getting the problem solved.
Bill's ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
NORTY
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I keep hearing about "keys" The last manual transmission I was into was muncie 4 speed, it had shifter forks, whats a key? are they the rectangular straight pieces that the gears slide on?
I think you're talkiing about the gear dogs. Those shouldn't be a problem (unless you're making HUGE torque.) Small gears can transmit amazing torque, but the key is they must be spinning...and spinning fast.

I would look toward a linkage issue if it were me. Linkage adjustments can be minute and make a big difference in shift action. Detents can also but this doesn't sound like you're problem.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #19
Yogivette
CF Senior Member

I always had the same problem and it would drive me crazy at the drag strip. I may have been letting the clutch out too fast, still havent figured that out but i did install a MGW shifter and i never miss 3rd now on the street, havent been back to the track yet but want to check it out. I love my mgw though if not for the 2-3 shift but just for the feel in general.
Yogivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #20
Silver Rocket
CF Member

Default Shifter

I have a buddy of mine with a C5, he installed a HURST shifter and so far.....no problems, just a thought. I'am thinking of doing this to my C6 ZO6
Silver Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page 2nd to 3rd missed shift