Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PTM Level 1: WET - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:31 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Default PTM Level 1: WET - WOW!

Lately, it's been raining pretty hard here in Seattle area, and it's also close to freezing so it's not the best conditions for a 335-mm-wide summer tire for sure

Since there's constant rain, I decided to try the differences between everything on and various PTM settings: what a difference!

TC / SC on:
  1. When I overwhelm the rear tires turning into streets, the tail progressively gets away, and then SC kicks in, correcting the rear swiftly, and a bit abrupt.
  2. If I overwhelm the tires going straight, I get a period of wheel spin followed by TC kicking in, slowing down the rear tires. It's not abrupt, but it doesn't let you go fast, either.

PTM Level 1 (WET):
  1. Doing the same first move causes quite a different behavior. The engine makes various noises (cutting spark/etc. to reduce engine power?), I also hear the tires doing small amounts of spins, but guess what, the trajectory is preserved! I am still turning an almost perfect line despite my attempts to ruin it!
  2. Going straight, when I nail the throttle, the engine starts making those unusual noises, but the same thing happens: the wheels spin for a short while every now and then, yet the system compensates and I am still accelerating!

Long story short, I am genuinely impressed, and would love to see how it works at the track.

Last edited by X25; 12-16-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I generally leave all the systems on when I'm on track. I used to use comp mode but it's really not necessary for me since it doesn't mess with me with all systems on. I strive for smoothness on track and so I think with more aggressive driving it may intervene more. My instructor turns it all off in the car, but he's more aggressive with the throttle on corner exit.

The systems are definitely impressive at low and medium speeds, and much more progressive than systems of years past.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by LanceFitzgiben
I generally leave all the systems on when I'm on track. I used to use comp mode but it's really not necessary for me since it doesn't mess with me with all systems on. I strive for smoothness on track and so I think with more aggressive driving it may intervene more. My instructor turns it all off in the car, but he's more aggressive with the throttle on corner exit.

The systems are definitely impressive at low and medium speeds, and much more progressive than systems of years past.
I suppose you are staying well within the limits of the car? The default stability control is pretty intrusive for all but very long turns in my opinion.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 AM
mistermog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stop saying things like this... makes the 06'ers like me jealous!

Ive stopped going out when its more than misting because my car likes the back end to go before the front end. (NT05s)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, this is the one thing I am jealous of that the newer cars have that I don't have. Although the pfadt shocks should help a small bit.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 AM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
I suppose you are staying well within the limits of the car? The default stability control is pretty intrusive for all but very long turns in my opinion.
I've been working hard to make the car setup as neutral as possible. I drive the car very near the limit on the track, but I'm smooth about it. The systems are only intrusive where I make a mistake - which is why they're there

Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Ozer
Long story short, I am genuinely impressed, and would love to see how it works at the track.
In a word: awesomely.

You need to let your ***** take over when you apex a corner at speed and literally plant your foot to the floor; it's an unnatural thing to do. But: the car rewards you by keeping the *** end planted as you straighten the car through track out.

jas
Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You think that is something try launch control in PTM level 1 - you can let go of the wheel and the car will not step out. That is just amazing.

Get notified of new replies

To PTM Level 1: WET - WOW!

Quick Reply: [Z06] PTM Level 1: WET - WOW!