Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:28 AM
jamsvet
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Low Oil Pressure

Went to SM last week and had oiling problems with the Z. At idle with a cold engine, 45lbs. After a few laps of the track max oil pressure was 30lbs at 5-6000. I ran the car the rest of the day and was pretty easy on it and the pressure at idle would drop to about 17-20 hot. After getting off the track, temp was 235 water 245 oil. After the engine cooled, idle pressure was 45 again. I'm running Hoosiers, coilovers, big brakes and a Dewitt radiator.

Drove back to SD and had no oil pressure issues. I really don't want to break into the oil system ie, pan or pump since I'd like to think I have some semblance of warranty remaining.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

You are probably OK.

This is from the 2008 owners manual, page 3-46

"Oil pressure should be 20 to 80 psi (140 to 550 kPa).
In certain situations such as long, extended idles on hot
days, it could read as low as 6 psi (40 kPa) and still
be considered normal."
Old 11-30-2008, 01:53 AM
jamsvet
Pro

I'm not too worried abut the idle pressure, my real concern is the 30 psi at 5-6000.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:56 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jamsvet
I'm not too worried abut the idle pressure, my real concern is the 30 psi at 5-6000.
That seems low.

And cold oil pressure is 55-60 in my car.

DH
Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 AM
12oh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after a few hard runs in the z, my car has an idling oil preaure of 15-20psi. took to the dealership with this prob and they said it was normal. it did worry me for a while, but the car still runs like a champ. dynos 460/435 and traps 123mph stock in 90+deg here in vegas.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
That seems low.

And cold oil pressure is 55-60 in my car.

DH
Seems low to me too.

Does the oil run thru the new radiator? If so, maybe a pressure loss there? And are you running the stock cooler inline with the radiator?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Went to SM last week and had oiling problems with the Z. At idle with a cold engine, 45lbs. After a few laps of the track max oil pressure was 30lbs at 5-6000. I ran the car the rest of the day and was pretty easy on it and the pressure at idle would drop to about 17-20 hot. After getting off the track, temp was 235 water 245 oil. After the engine cooled, idle pressure was 45 again. I'm running Hoosiers, coilovers, big brakes and a Dewitt radiator.

Drove back to SD and had no oil pressure issues. I really don't want to break into the oil system ie, pan or pump since I'd like to think I have some semblance of warranty remaining.
Thats normal with high oil temps that you will see with when tracking a stock LS7.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:07 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

The lowest oil pressure I ever saw with my A.R.E. upgraded pan, peterson 2.5 gal tank, remotre filter and STOCK oil cooler was 35psi at 248 degree track temps AFTER pulling off Road America at teh end of a 25 minutes session. I gtet up to 75psi cold at 2,500 rpm. once its warmed up (150-180) it NEVER drops below 50 PSi.

That was with street tires. If you are getting that serious on tracking the car AT LEAST put in the LPE extra capacity can or if you don't ever want to worry about it again..Katech Stage II oil system using the above listed components. Feel free to PM me for deatils.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Same here, prior to the ARE and Ron Davis additions I saw as low as 12 PSI in my Z at the track. This was on a hot day at Summit Point when we had a red flag towards the end of the session so I didn't get to run a cool down lap.

I can't wait until Summer to see how the new system does.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds normal to me also.
My car has shown very similar numbers as yours since day one.
I drive lots of track days and I drive it to redline all day long.
I have 15,000 hard miles so far and no problema.
It is just how this car works.

Lots of the things that a lot of people perceive as "problems":
"low" oil pressure
Shifter "rattle"
clunking grinding rear end
valve clatter
having to "slam" or push down the rear hatch
Hot center console
Melted tie rod end rubber

These are all the sounds of victory!
Nothing to worry about.
"A small price to pay for putting foot to *** for my country" from XXX with Vin Diesel

One thing that has always anoyed me though is the way the passenger seat flops forward about six inches everytime I hit the brakes. It is distracting to the point that I either remove it I noone will be riding along or I have Bungied it to the roll bar to keep it from slapping back and forth.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 11-30-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
You are probably OK.

This is from the 2008 owners manual, page 3-46

"Oil pressure should be 20 to 80 psi (140 to 550 kPa).
In certain situations such as long, extended idles on hot
days, it could read as low as 6 psi (40 kPa) and still
be considered normal."

Another guy who knows something from reading the operators manual.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick

Another guy who knows something from reading the operators manual.
As he originally stated, he's got only 30psi at 6k. The manual does not outline anything this specific. Are you saying you have seen oil pressure as that low at that RPM? I'd like to know too so I don't go running off to the dealer for nothing if it happens to me. That seems WAY to low for that RPM regarless of oil temps. Thx
Old 11-30-2008, 12:51 PM
GeminiZ06
Instructor

my guess is this: nothing wrong in absence of other symptoms

just a guess - in no way should my statements be taken as being from an expert of any kind

idle oil P at ~20psi - normal for oil at sustained 230F or above

low oil P at 6K RPM at sustained 230F or above: my guess it depends on how tired the oil may be - if using M1 5w30, maybe it has something to do with those nice VI's that supposedly don't like sustained high temps over long time periods.

I would suggest changing the oil with the same oil brand/vis and seeing if you get the same oil P at 6K RPM when the oil hits 230 for 15 minutes or so. My guess you will see at least 40 or better.

Consider this: if 6 psi is normal for idle, imagine how thin that oil must be and what the oil P would be at 6K rpm. Not sure why this would be the case with this engine/oil combination but in absence of other evidence, it is hard to refute the above definition of "within normal range."

A UOA may help show an issue or simply confirm you having nothing to worry about. Then just go out there and continue driving it the way it was meant to be driven.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 PM
jamsvet
Pro

Oil was changed before tracking the car. Had Redline in it. Not sure of the viscosity. No oil leaks in the system and oil level was perfect. After the first two 20 minute sessions, I checked the oil and it seemed to be a little low, just over the lower hole on the dipstick. I put 1/2 a quart of oil in and saw about a 10 lb increase in "cold" pressure. Next session, at the end of the back straight at about 110 I saw the oil pressure at about 35. I didn't have time to look too closely. I wish the digital pressure gauge was bigger. (It was tough slipping on my reading glasses) I glanced at the manual gauge and it was definitely left of center.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

You will see your oil pressure drop to 30 at 6K RPM and yes it will be low, in the teens, on idle.

I have paid close attention to my oil temps for a long time and I learned that when the oil temps start to get above 250*, the oil pressure starts to drop. I have tried different weight oils and have seen the same is true even for 20/50 but the oil pressure is higher. 40 compared to 30 but never the less, oil pressure drops when temps get above 250*.

So to answer your question.
1) Yes it is normal

Adding an oil cooler will keep your temps lower and your oil pressure up.

The real issue IMO is not the low oil pressure when temps get hot but what oil temps should one be trying not to exceed. I have read so many threads on this subject and so many folks, builders, etc all seem to have a different take on this issue.

So I'll throw my .02 in.

Try to achieve 250* while on-track. The how to opens up the door to aftermarket oil coolers, hoods and such.

Rich
Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dreamin
Seems low to me too.

Does the oil run thru the new radiator? If so, maybe a pressure loss there? And are you running the stock cooler inline with the radiator?
Good Point .....

DH
Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Oil was changed before tracking the car. Had Redline in it. Not sure of the viscosity. No oil leaks in the system and oil level was perfect. After the first two 20 minute sessions, I checked the oil and it seemed to be a little low, just over the lower hole on the dipstick. I put 1/2 a quart of oil in and saw about a 10 lb increase in "cold" pressure. Next session, at the end of the back straight at about 110 I saw the oil pressure at about 35. I didn't have time to look too closely. I wish the digital pressure gauge was bigger. (It was tough slipping on my reading glasses) I glanced at the manual gauge and it was definitely left of center.
How can you NOT know the oil viscosity that was used

I used 1/2 qt of oil last track day. That was Four, 20 min sessions. Maybe your are using too much oil and that is related to your pressure ?????

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Low Oil Pressure

Quick Reply: [Z06] Low Oil Pressure