Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How cone c6 z06's stock exhaust sounds so quiet compared to c5 z06's exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 AM
carlsbad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How cone c6 z06's stock exhaust sounds so quiet compared to c5 z06's exhaust???

How cone c6 z06's stock exhaust sounds so quiet compared to c5 z06's exhaust???
Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 AM
hognutz
Racer

it is a bi-mode exhaust that that has a vacuum driven flap in one of the tips. if you want it to sound like much you can disable the valve that closes but I still think it sounds like crap even like that. even with that flap open it is nothing that impressive to me.

basically if you look at the mufflers they are huge. The car is just quiet.

short story long buy an afermarket exhaust if you want it to sound good. some people cut open the muffler, plug the perforated pipe, and remove the packing material.

if you search you can find sound clip links from youtube of all these configurations.

I have yet to hear anything with the stock mufflers that I liked near as much as a borla or corsa system.

I sold the stock system for $350 and bought a used corsa for $750 that in mint condition. I like it much better.

Last edited by hognutz; 01-14-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlsbad
Couple reasons. As noted above the bi mode system keeps the flaps closed below 3500 unless you put in a switch or pull the fuse. Even with it open though it sounds different. Another big reason is totally different engine and setup. So the engine characteristics play a big role too.

I did the "exhaust mod" and couldnt be happier. Its Id say 40 percent louder all around and sounds mean under load. that was my route for now and very cost effective versus my some day conversion to BB Fusions. Id highly recommend doing the mod first and see how you like it. Its very inexpensive and may be enough for you.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

"Borla Aggressives" Cat-Back.

Enough said.

Red Cell.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 PM
carlsbad
Pro

any sound clips of exhaust valves disabled?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Solaris
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 107 Posts

any sound clips of exhaust valves disabled?
Here's a vid on Youtube of the stock exhaust with the fuse in and out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVOQttYzSFw
Here's one with the muffler modified http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ48rJI1Now

I currently just have the fuse pulled in mine, but I think I may want to have the muffler mod done.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 PM
rsmithuf
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Coming from an LS3 with NPP (flaps open) to the Z06 (flaps open), I find that the Z06 exhaust is much quieter - almost too quiet. Also, with an LS3 you get an loud "gurgle" on deceleration with the car in gear and no accelerator applied. I haven't heard this on the Z06.

I thought ( could be wrong) that the LS3/NPP has a X pipe while the Z06 has an H-pipe and that could be the difference. Any thoughts?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
lonewolf455
Instructor

I got 2006 z06 its much loader then my 2001 z it to loud for me people know im coming blocks away can my flaps be stuck it only got 700miles on it.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Dizz
Pro

Originally Posted by rsmithuf
Coming from an LS3 with NPP (flaps open) to the Z06 (flaps open), I find that the Z06 exhaust is much quieter - almost too quiet. Also, with an LS3 you get an loud "gurgle" on deceleration with the car in gear and no accelerator applied. I haven't heard this on the Z06.

I thought ( could be wrong) that the LS3/NPP has a X pipe while the Z06 has an H-pipe and that could be the difference. Any thoughts?
Use a "Mild to Wild Switch", or pull the fuse to leave the flaps open and you will get a "gurgle" on deceleration.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:23 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

It's been a while since I've heard a C5 Z06's exhaust at full tilt, so bear with me here.

How are you comparing the exhaust notes? At idle, cruising around, or under full throttle? As others have pointed out, the C6 Z06 has a muffler flap that stays closed below 3500RPMs (3000 RPMs in Competition Mode). So, if you're listening to a new Z06 at idle or under light throttle, it's going to seem a tad bit tame.

Have you compared them both under full throttle, above 3500RPMs? If so, does the C6 still seem less noisy? The muffler material may be contributing to the C5's apparent louder sound. Remember the C5's mufflers are titanium, while the C6's are stainless steel. That will change the characteristics of the exhaust note to some extent. Whether it makes it louder or not is really up to the person listening to it.

jas
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 PM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can live with the exhaust like it comes, probably will do the switch deal, but if it could be made to sound like a Gallardo I would (a) maybe never buy another car in my life, and/or (b) not need a car in jail, where I would surely be 9-10 months out of a year. Drove a Gallardo once, decided that 2 Z06's & a pickup truck for the same money was a better deal, so I bought one Z06 and can still afford to drive & eat fairly well. I've been lucky so far, only irritated one cop. I'm sure I could easily annoy more of them if it sounded "angrier".

Get notified of new replies

To How cone c6 z06's stock exhaust sounds so quiet compared to c5 z06's exhaust???

Quick Reply: [Z06] How cone c6 z06's stock exhaust sounds so quiet compared to c5 z06's exhaust???