Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] KB Intake, Torquer & Kooks... My Story!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:12 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default KB Intake, Torquer & Kooks... My Story!

Well long story short... I decide to put the Killer Bee, Beehive and Jim's email tune and the car poll 485 whp & 454 wtq... Like must of us we always want more so I decide to put the Katech Torquer Cam with Jims' email tune and the car poll 515 whp & 471 wtq. I little low for what I read around with same mods...

So I spoke with Jason and Jim and both toll me the same thing "you need headers". I try to bought the headers from a website vendor but after 2 weeks of waiting for the Manufactor to build the headers I decide to cancel and let it be.

I was a little sad because of it but for my luck I friend of mine bought the Kooks 1 7/8 headers a couple a weeks ago and decided to sold them to me because his gonna put the car back to stock, I already bought the Ported Intake & TB from RR so I put both mods and with the same tune the car poll 529 whp & 493 wtq. (my A/F Ration is always around 11.7 to 11.9 after 4K RPM's, little rich from what I read)

The reason that I'm posting my story is because I read so many threads of headers and is always the same stupid discution, "its not worth it" - "yes it is" and so on... from my expirience if your gonna put a good cam like many from website vendors you have to put headers to see good dyno #'s, the stock manifolds are good but not enought for a cam

I will post the dyno sheet later... you will see that the car gain with Headers and Ported IN/TB 42 whp & 52 wtq (from 3000 RPM's to 4500 RPM's)... thats impresive!

I will like to thanks Jim, Jason and Shawn for the great service and great information about this amazing cars

Last edited by webcarconnection; 01-15-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Z-Power
Well long story short... I decide to put the Killer Bee, Beehive and Jim's email tune and the car poll 485 whp & 454 wtq... Like must of us we always want more so I decide to put the Katech Torquer Cam with Jims' email tune and the car poll 515 whp & 471 wtq. I little low for what I read around with same mods...

So I spoke with Jason and Jim and both toll me the same thing "you need headers". I try to bought the headers from a website vendor but after 2 weeks of waiting for the Manufactor to build the headers I decide to cancel and let it be.

I was a little sad because of it but for my luck I friend of mine bought the Kooks 1 7/8 headers a couple a weeks ago and decided to sold them to me because his gonna put the car back to stock, I already bought the Ported Intake & TB from RR so I put both mods and with the same tune the car poll 529 whp & 493 wtq. (my A/F Ration is always around 11.7 to 11.9 after 4K RPM's, little rich from what I read)

The reason that I'm posting my story is because I read so many threads of headers and is always the same stupid discution, "its not worth it" - "yes it is" and so on... from my expirience if your gonna put a good cam like many from website vendors you have to put headers to see good dyno #'s, the stock manifolds are good but not enought for a cam

I will post the dyno sheet later... you will see that the car gain with Headers and Ported IN/TB 42 whp & 52 wtq (from 3000 RPM's to 4500 RPM's)... thats impresive!

I will like to thanks Jim, Jason and Shawn for the great service and great information about this amazing cars

I'm glad you are enjoying it. So you are saying that you made a total of 557rwhp and 523rwtq? If so, those are some good numbers. I don't think your car is a freak, I just think it goes to show how much lower our Mustang dyno reads. Those numbers are a fairer comparison to other shops who have Dynojets.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 AM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I'm glad you are enjoying it. So you are saying that you made a total of 557rwhp and 523rwtq? If so, those are some good numbers. I don't think your car is a freak, I just think it goes to show how much lower our Mustang dyno reads. Those numbers are a fairer comparison to other shops who have Dynojets.
No, my peak HP and TQ was 529/493 but from 3000 RPM tru 4500 RPM the car gain 42 whp and 52 wtq with headers and Ported IN & TB.

The Cam is doing his job with this supporting mods and is a Street Rocket right now. Like I said my A/F is around 11.8 (4K and up) so is a little rich for the mods, I believe if I can put it in the 12.5 range it will gain a few ponys, Right?

Thanks again Jason for all your help!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 AM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

What I really liked about the Torquer was that it got rid of the one deficiency of the LS7 - less than stellar low end grunt. The car felt more alive below 3000 RPM and did not feel like it ran out of breath. It makes the car feel more linear with less progressive power buildup.

I think more important than peak numbers is the area under the curve - and from what I have seen the Torquer really delivers in that department.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 AM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Originally Posted by bob53
What I really liked about the Torquer was that it got rid of the one deficiency of the LS7 - less than stellar low end grunt. The car felt more alive below 3000 RPM and did not feel like it ran out of breath. It makes the car feel more linear with less progressive power buildup.

I think more important than peak numbers is the area under the curve - and from what I have seen the Torquer really delivers in that department.

Yep... Agreed 100%
Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

No, my peak HP and TQ was 529/493 but from 3000 RPM tru 4500 RPM the car gain 42 whp and 52 wtq with headers and Ported IN & TB.

The Cam is doing his job with this supporting mods and is a Street Rocket right now. Like I said my A/F is around 11.8 (4K and up) so is a little rich for the mods, I believe if I can put it in the 12.5 range it will gain a few ponys, Right?

Thanks again Jason for all your help!

Here is what you can expect with leaner air fuel ratios. This dyno was done by a shop in communication with me over the phone. I sent several e-mailTune® files leaner and richer mixes until they were satisfied. The 13.2:1 ratio netted 20 more RWHP than the 12.1:ratio. Run 7 was 12:1, run 13 was 20 RWHP more due to over 1 point change in getting 1.1 lb more air in the same amount of fuel.

Remember fuel makes zero horsepower without oxygen. The customer thought at first the 12.8 ratio was too lean. Took out some air, and down the power went. Put it back in and up it went to 493 from 473.

It was like a NOS shot to add free air to a rich mixture. Otherwise guess where the fuel goes? Directly out the tailpipe into the environment. What we do as tuners is actually more environmental freindly, cleaner, meaner, and greener.

13.3:1 ratios are very easy to run on the street with E10 fuel, since the alcholol helps cool the charge and keeps knock down. I have run as high as 13.5 to 1 and only saw 2 degrees knock, but that was with 92 Octane. None with 93.

Halltech has a new e-mailTune® AutoCal Programming coming this Spring which will be the most unique tuning package available on the market. More Information

In the past, we were stuck with the high cost of reselling the LS2Edit module from Carputing, which retailed for $550. Adding a $300 custom tune put the package at the outer limits. We still managed to sell quite a few, due to the impeccable record of high horsepower torque and success at the track and dyno, with a street safe, and fully reversible CVN tune. We expect no less of the EFI package.

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 01-16-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

I hear you Jim... I wish you where here hehehe

BTW what do you guys think about the "DashHawk" for data logging? the Ls2edit is a very powerful tool but if you don't know where you are is dificult to maximaze the power

http://www.dashhawk.com/
Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Here is a very bad photo of the Dyno Sheet... my scanner is F(^$ up hehehe

You can see the blue line is very clean and way up on the 3K to 5K RPM's range

Last edited by webcarconnection; 02-28-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

I hear you Jim... I wish you where here hehehe
Oh I just saw this:

http://www.halltechsystems.com/category_s/120.htm

I'm in
Old 01-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glad to be here.

Just let me know when the autocal is available and my bone stock Z06 could have a STAT install of Katechs Torquer cam and HallTechs BeeHive to be your guinnea pig, hehehe!!!

Well, not so stock, I have the Killer Bee installed allready.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
Here is what you can expect with leaner air fuel ratios. This dyno was done by a shop in communication with me over the phone. I sent several e-mailTune® files leaner and richer mixes until they were satisfied. The 13.2:1 ratio netted 20 more RWHP than the 12.1:ratio. Run 7 was 12:1, run 13 was 20 RWHP more due to over 1 point change in getting 1.1 lb more air in the same amount of fuel.

Remember fuel makes zero horsepower without oxygen. The customer thought at first the 12.8 ratio was too lean. Took out some air, and down the power went. Put it back in and up it went to 493 from 473.

It was like a NOS shot to add free air to a rich mixture. Otherwise guess where the fuel goes? Directly out the tailpipe into the environment. What we do as tuners is actually more environmental freindly, cleaner, meaner, and greener.

13.3:1 ratios are very easy to run on the street with E10 fuel, since the alcholol helps cool the charge and keeps knock down. I have run as high as 13.5 to 1 and only saw 2 degrees knock, but that was with 92 Octane. None with 93.

Halltech has a new e-mailTune® AutoCal Programming coming this Spring which will be the most unique tuning package available on the market. More Information

In the past, we were stuck with the high cost of reselling the LS2Edit module from Carputing, which retailed for $550. Adding a $300 custom tune put the package at the outer limits. We still managed to sell quite a few, due to the impeccable record of high horsepower torque and success at the track and dyno, with a street safe, and fully reversible CVN tune. We expect no less of the EFI package.

Jim Hall

Jim I guess you're AFR was read at the tail pipe .... 13.2 AFR before CATS actually in ma case made less power into my Z06. 12.4- 12.7 AFR before cats seems to gets the most of it .

Later,
Sébastien

Get notified of new replies

To KB Intake, Torquer & Kooks... My Story!

Quick Reply: [Z06] KB Intake, Torquer & Kooks... My Story!