Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Opinions please on Supercharger question..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:09 PM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Default Opinions please on Supercharger question..

Hi guys,

I am planning a Vortech supercharger install shortly. I plan on running no more than 6 psi and a conservative tune. I have gotten over all of the standard supercharger concerns (potential impact to engine, no warranty, etc.), but I have one final concern and I would appreciate your input.

I have a 2008 Z and she has approximately 2,800 miles. Should I be concerned about the low miles??

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:54 PM
neveo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 08 had about 2400 miles on it before i went with an A&A vortech T-trim kit with the upgraded intercooler. i too kept the boost down to 5 psi, used a ECS meth kit for added safety. My results were
618 rwhp and 598 lbs of torque with a very conservative tune. Mine was installed by Newtech Performance . Unfortunately i tore my right rotator cuff and bicep tendon and have been unable to drive it. looking forward to getting her this weekend or early next week.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 PM
neveo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neveo
my 08 had about 2400 miles on it before i went with an A&A vortech T-trim kit with the upgraded intercooler. i too kept the boost down to 5 psi, used a ECS meth kit for added safety. My results were
618 rwhp and 598 lbs of torque with a very conservative tune. Mine was installed by Newtech Performance . Unfortunately i tore my right rotator cuff and bicep tendon and have been unable to drive it. looking forward to getting her this weekend or early next week.
forgot to add mine is also black with Spec 5's
Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

they work fine, but not for long. Reason is simple, Look at an LS7piston
You'll see that the oil control rings are very small and the top ring has very little distance from the top of the piston to the ring. Your pistons are the weak link and they woun't live under boost conditions very long. Actually the LS3 piston is much better suited for boost than the LS7. Also remember both were never designed for boost. If you want it to live put forged pistons designed for boost and it will live a long trouble free life. Also remember under boost the air is pushed to the back first and causes a lean condition for the # 7 cylinder that's the one that usually fails. So, you can make tons of power , but for how long. I've had both boosted and N/A motors, and I'm staying with N/A for my LS7. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:39 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by OneBadZ06
Hi guys,

I am planning a Vortech supercharger install shortly. I plan on running no more than 6 psi and a conservative tune. I have gotten over all of the standard supercharger concerns (potential impact to engine, no warranty, etc.), but I have one final concern and I would appreciate your input.

I have a 2008 Z and she has approximately 2,800 miles. Should I be concerned about the low miles??

Thanks in advance.
Make sure you talk to andy on a few upgrades that are a must with c6z (radiator with oil cooler) and the ram air intercooler is also key in keeping the radiator from being blocked.

i made 678 on a stock c6z 15,000 miles at the time
Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by neveo
Thank you. Good luck with your arm.

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
Make sure you talk to andy on a few upgrades that are a must with c6z (radiator with oil cooler) and the ram air intercooler is also key in keeping the radiator from being blocked.

Thank you.

i made 678 on a stock c6z 15,000 miles at the time

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions please on Supercharger question..

Quick Reply: [Z06] Opinions please on Supercharger question..