Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dual mode exhaust the truth

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 PM
nag1945
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual mode exhaust the truth

In 2006 I was the first one to experiment with the dual new mode exhaust. I used clamps to seal the perforations to create a better sound. Discarded the fiberglass bag. I noticed right from the beginning that the drivetrain in the Z06 rattled a lot unlike my C5. The clutch had its rattle and chatter and the torque tube rods made noise and I realized I needed a louder exhaust to get rid of the clatter. So I made the mod on the NPP> But it was only a little better. Since then Only 2 people have made any kind of dual mode exhaust. One B&B with their fusion 2000 dollar one and QTP with their screamer. Well the fusion improves the stockmod exhaust by being a little shorter and being 3 inch all way instead of 2 1/2. Alittle better but not the answer. All dual mode exhausts have in common that they are in contact with the quiet side and the noisy side. So none of them will ever sound like a stinger or bullet. As long as they see each other inside they are really worthless. Especially for 2k. So now I am trying to do a cutout but they are expensive and you must do the cutout before the clamp to the mufflers which makes it smaller than needed. Now we must keep the hot exh air away from the plastic spring and it would be nice if the sound could make it out from under the car. Funny in cold weather seeing all that steam under the car. By the way the fusion is too noisy in the quiet mode. And pardon me but why do we call the muffler switches mild to wild there is nothing wild about pulling the fuse on the muffler. Somedays I have to ask myself which mode its in. Why can't we make up a muffler that is open or closed but the secret is that when you open the muffler you must close the contact to the quiet side so it really works. If a valve could be put in the muffler to close the quiet side the louder side would be really straight thru. The fusion splits the input at the beginning so put a valve there. But the stock muffler puts it at the end before the valve. Even with the muffler removed it is not that loud the cats slow it down anyway. Any ideas on how to have both quiet and a really agressive sound like a Borla stinger without using cutouts they aren't the answer. Thanks just a rant Richard
Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my opinion, factory dual mode open (loud) sounds unrefined and has serious drone, closed the car has no personality. The weld mod makes it louder and a touch less boomy. B&B fusions are similar yet they have drone open an a little drone when quiet also. The Corsa Z system lets the car have an exotic high compression personality with no drone. On the 427 the high end raspiness corsa is known for is much less present, basically non-existant. Find someone who has the Corsa system on their Z and go for a ride. I feel it provides a refined high performance sound both inside and outside. Everyone loves the idea of having control of their exhaust decibels which I agree is cool, I just have not found an open/close position system which has a tone worthy of the Z's motor other than the single mode Corsa.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nag1945
In 2006 I was the first one to experiment with the dual new mode exhaust. I used clamps to seal the perforations to create a better sound. Discarded the fiberglass bag. I noticed right from the beginning that the drivetrain in the Z06 rattled a lot unlike my C5. The clutch had its rattle and chatter and the torque tube rods made noise and I realized I needed a louder exhaust to get rid of the clatter. So I made the mod on the NPP> But it was only a little better. Since then Only 2 people have made any kind of dual mode exhaust. One B&B with their fusion 2000 dollar one and QTP with their screamer. Well the fusion improves the stockmod exhaust by being a little shorter and being 3 inch all way instead of 2 1/2. Alittle better but not the answer. All dual mode exhausts have in common that they are in contact with the quiet side and the noisy side. So none of them will ever sound like a stinger or bullet. As long as they see each other inside they are really worthless. Especially for 2k. So now I am trying to do a cutout but they are expensive and you must do the cutout before the clamp to the mufflers which makes it smaller than needed. Now we must keep the hot exh air away from the plastic spring and it would be nice if the sound could make it out from under the car. Funny in cold weather seeing all that steam under the car. By the way the fusion is too noisy in the quiet mode. And pardon me but why do we call the muffler switches mild to wild there is nothing wild about pulling the fuse on the muffler. Somedays I have to ask myself which mode its in. Why can't we make up a muffler that is open or closed but the secret is that when you open the muffler you must close the contact to the quiet side so it really works. If a valve could be put in the muffler to close the quiet side the louder side would be really straight thru. The fusion splits the input at the beginning so put a valve there. But the stock muffler puts it at the end before the valve. Even with the muffler removed it is not that loud the cats slow it down anyway. Any ideas on how to have both quiet and a really agressive sound like a Borla stinger without using cutouts they aren't the answer. Thanks just a rant Richard
Thanx for showing us that trick back in 06.I've done it to 3 Z's and forwarded it to many people.I'm trying Bullits now with the big can mufflers removed.

Get notified of new replies

To Dual mode exhaust the truth

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dual mode exhaust the truth