Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] alum. crush washer on oil drain plug?????

Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Default alum. crush washer on oil drain plug?????

I haven't taken the drain plug off my car yet for an oil change. but I've seen pictures of the drain plugs and it has the little o-ring on it.

Those of you that have done an oil change do you change that o-ring out when you change the oil???

I was wondering if instead of using that o-ring an alum. crush washer will do the job of sealing the plug to the pan. Most import vehicles use the crush washer instead of a rubber or plastic seal to prevent drips. The washers are replaced everytime you do an oil change.

I had a milodon oil pan on an engine project done a while back (Ford 408W), that drain plug on the pan had a plastic washer on it. After a couple of oil changes the washer got all distorted and was causing a leak. I replaced it with an alum. crush washer and it sealed the drain plug perfectly.

Finding an alum. crush washer for the LS7 drain plug shouldn't be a problem and would be a better solution to the rubber o-ring setup.

Tony
Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
Those of you that have done an oil change do you change that o-ring out when you change the oil???
only if it's damaged.

Finding an alum. crush washer for the LS7 drain plug shouldn't be a problem and would be a better solution to the rubber o-ring setup.
why would it be better? what's wrong with a reusable o-ring?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 AM
rbeshore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
only if it's damaged.

18 ft. lbs should last
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to extend the life of the seal. From my experience, the O-ring can age and turn brittle. In some BMW applications, the two O-rings for the oil filter canister are supposed to be replaced every filter change.

I can see that aluminum crush washer will last longer. I would try copper crush washer too. Personally, I don't replace a drain crush washer every oil change. However, if you are going to replace a crush washer every oil change, there is not really a need to change to crush washer; might as well get a bunch of O-rings and replace it every time.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 AM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Keep the rubber one. It will last a long time. Do not overtighten the plug. I do many, many oil changes and seldom replace the seal. They are only damaged when overtightened.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I think the spec in the service manual is
22ft/lbs. most people don't realize how light that is and overtighten
Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
Keep the rubber one. It will last a long time. Do not overtighten the plug. I do many, many oil changes and seldom replace the seal. They are only damaged when overtightened.
The drain plugs are set up for neoprene washers and if torqued properly they last a very long time. My 02 is still on the original and doesn't weep and if you have magnetic plugs there is no point screwing them up by installing the wrong washer for the application.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
only if it's damaged.

I have done 6 oil changes for over 30k miles so far. The rubber o-ring/gasket can be separately replaced but I have yet to see a need so far. I have a couple of spares in my tool box.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wah
........... the O-ring can age and turn brittle. ........
Certainly true. It will not last forever. It will though last for several years assuming it has not been damaged such as via over-tightning. Heat will eventually degrade both rubber and plastics.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

I will still look for a crush washer for this application. The one time the rubber o-ring will degrade and leak will be the one time you reinstall the drain plug then notice after a period of time a drip on the floor of your garage.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Cman01
I will still look for a crush washer for this application. The one time the rubber o-ring will degrade and leak will be the one time you reinstall the drain plug then notice after a period of time a drip on the floor of your garage.
The crush washer will leak before the rubber one will. The drain plug has a recess place for the rubber, Therefore you should not have any problems.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
The crush washer will leak before the rubber one will. The drain plug has a recess place for the rubber, Therefore you should not have any problems.
Honda Accord engines use an aluminum crush washer and I have owned Hondas for over 30 years changing the oil myself. I find that the washer has to be reversed on the next oil change and then pitched for a new one after that. The aluminum takes a set that might not seal good the next time you install it has been my long term experience.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Honda Accord engines use an aluminum crush washer and I have owned Hondas for over 30 years changing the oil myself. I find that the washer has to be reversed on the next oil change and then pitched for a new one after that. The aluminum takes a set that might not seal good the next time you install it has been my long term experience.
Also, with the aluminum pan you are going to gouge the mating surface by using a crush washer and then you won't have to worry about a leak because your going to have one. The plug and oil pan are set up for an O-ring seal. If you want to improve the system, install magnetic plugs, not crush washers...

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 02-11-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To alum. crush washer on oil drain plug?????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] alum. crush washer on oil drain plug?????