Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Daily driver.. Z06 vs Viper, Viper truck, C6, challenger etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Jethrowbodene
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily driver.. Z06 vs Viper, Viper truck, C6, challenger etc...

I have been thinking about moving from mustang to either Corvette Z06, dodge challenger, Gt500 Shelby mustang, or newer dodge viper. I found out they had a special production dodge ram in 2004 which has the SRT10 8.3 liter V10 viper motor. I drove one yesterday and it is amazing. In your opinions which would make the best daily driver? The thing pulling me towards the truck is the safety factor of having a truck. It also would most likly be the best in the snow if I had to use it for that. Gas mileage is between 10 and 15 mph and I am also scared that the viper motor will not last as a daily driver? I can get a 2 year motor and power train warenty. The Z06 seems to be my second choice. Any ideas?

How does maint. and other costs compare? The viper motor scares me b.c I am worried that it will be alot to fix when stuff wears out.

How much are Z06 tires and how long do they last under normal driving? The Z06 is by far my favorite.
Can I get non Z rated cheaper tires for a Z06?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:09 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. I'll bite...

The viper is not a daily driver by anyone's standards. Crappy mileage, poor visibility, rough ride, expensive tires.

Funny you say the truck has a viper motor; I always heard that the viper had a truck motor.

Unless your talking about an ACR Viper, it's not going to be competitive with the C6Z.

I like the way the Challenger looks; but, it is not a super car.

The C6 Z06 is by far the cheapest super car to own. Ever. Period. Whether you are using it as a daily driver or tracking the crap out of it. There's not another car on the planet that delivers this level of price/performance; and damn few that give this performance at any price.

There are several streetable options for C6Z06 tires now(in order of approximate cost):
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups: $$$ Don't ask
Michelin PS2's: $1700+
Michelin Pilot Sport ZP Runflats: $1600
Stock GY F1 Super Car Runflats: $1500+
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position Runflats: $1500+
Nitto NT05: $1300?
Nitto Invo's: $1200?
General Exclaim UHP: $800!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:22 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Not to be devil's advocate but he didn't specify what model of Viper, so he may be considering the 08 and up model which I would think would compete with the Z06 if not surpass.

And I don't think you'd be wearing out the Viper's V10 anytime soon. If he's going for something streetable that has lots of attention grabbing looks and a unique power plant (yes I know 427 smallblocks have their appeal too), he'll be hard pressed to pass up the Viper.

At the same time being a daily driver, I'd probably be paranoid with the Viper. Parking it in the same places day in day out or at night. Some spiteful person more than likely would do something to it. Sounds crazy but you'd be surprised who watches your daily routine. I'd be paranoid with a shiny new Corvette too,actually.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Not to be devil's advocate but he didn't specify what model of Viper, so he may be considering the 08 and up model which I would think would compete with the Z06 if not surpass.

And I don't think you'd be wearing out the Viper's V10 anytime soon. If he's going for something streetable that has lots of attention grabbing looks and a unique power plant (yes I know 427 smallblocks have their appeal too), he'll be hard pressed to pass up the Viper.

At the same time being a daily driver, I'd probably be paranoid with the Viper. Parking it in the same places day in day out or at night. Some spiteful person more than likely would do something to it. Sounds crazy but you'd be surprised who watches your daily routine. I'd be paranoid with a shiny new Corvette too,actually.
I just dont trust the nut cases driving around me in my Z. I drive my company car 85% of the time - a 09 CTSV . Now that it is excellent choice as a DD - a comfortable, fast, sleeper.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 AM
jamie392
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jethrowbodene
I have been thinking about moving from mustang to either Corvette Z06, dodge challenger, Gt500 Shelby mustang, or newer dodge viper. I found out they had a special production dodge ram in 2004 which has the SRT10 8.3 liter V10 viper motor. I drove one yesterday and it is amazing. In your opinions which would make the best daily driver? The thing pulling me towards the truck is the safety factor of having a truck. It also would most likly be the best in the snow if I had to use it for that. Gas mileage is between 10 and 15 mph and I am also scared that the viper motor will not last as a daily driver? I can get a 2 year motor and power train warenty. The Z06 seems to be my second choice. Any ideas?

How does maint. and other costs compare? The viper motor scares me b.c I am worried that it will be alot to fix when stuff wears out.

How much are Z06 tires and how long do they last under normal driving? The Z06 is by far my favorite.
Can I get non Z rated cheaper tires for a Z06?
I daily drive my GT-500 and the Z06. They are both great daily drivers, I really don't have a preference though.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,058 Posts

For a daily driver among your choices, I would definitely consider the Z06. Mine constantly impresses me with how docile it can seem when I close the exhaust flaps (Mild 2 Wild) and just cruise (1-3-5 shifting). These mannerisms are very necessary for my wife to be comfortably in the passenger seat. I opened it all up for her one time, and now she won't drive it.

As for the Challenger, go find that Top Gear episode on YouTube where they came to San Francisco and got a Challenger, CTS-V and a ZR1. You will shy away from the challenger. It's a "muscle car" and not a half bad one (I'd sooner get a Camaro SS when available), but the Caddy and the Vette are "sports cars".

I love the looks of the Vipers and they're nasty fast, but I culd not see myself driving one every day.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:07 AM
meshoooo
Racer

I think the challenger should be removed from the comparison, the SRT10 you should think of the new one which is the 600hp not the 2004 cause its far away from the C6Z .. I was using the SRT10 about 30 months for 5500 miles .. I reach that in my Z with 9 months only ,, so you can know what car I liked, used more
Old 03-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

I have driven my C6 MN6 Z51 as a DD for near 1 1/2years. Then I traded it in on a C6 Z06 last summer.

No real difference (to me-I don't track the beast) around town. I love it. Nothing puts a smile on my face like the Z.

Would I do it all over again-probably. I say "probably" due to a freak snow-storm and I could not use it for near 2 weeks.

As for the other vehicles you mentioned, I'd personally shy away from the Viper. The Ram (I owned one of those too), might be an option.

Red Cell.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:07 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by linutux
Funny you say the truck has a viper motor; I always heard that the viper had a truck motor.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Jethrowbodene
Intermediate

What stock on stock compares or beats a Z06 speed and accleration wise? What kind of gas mileage does a C6 Z06 get? I currently DD a 94 mustang Gt vert. How many miles can I put on a C6 z before it needs major repairs? My mom had a cadillac sts 96 which broke all the time at 50,000 miles and bills were 1k+ each time...

Get notified of new replies

To Daily driver.. Z06 vs Viper, Viper truck, C6, challenger etc...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Daily driver.. Z06 vs Viper, Viper truck, C6, challenger etc...