Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Small pebbles that appear between the rocker and rear fender gap

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:07 PM
stroked250
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Small pebbles that appear between the rocker and rear fender gap

I have been trying to figure out how the small rocks are getting stuck between the rear fender and the lower rocker panel. I think I found it!

The rocks are being thrown from the tires at the rear inner fender liner and some are getting between the wheel well liner and the fender on the outer edge!

...anyone solve this issue?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

It's in the FAQ:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ml?forum_id=74

Z//
Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 PM
stroked250
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
yep! just found the thread! http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ml?forum_id=74
Old 03-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Been dealing with this as well. Thanks for the reminder, somehow this go t by me the first time!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did this mod today as a matter of fact. I was detailing the car to get ready for a clear bras installation on Friday and noticed the small rocks and debris in the seam on both sides. My car only has about 900 miles on it, and already had a collection.

I think this should solve the problem. GM really should have taken care of this, especially by the time they made my '09 on 12/15/08.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i have found removing the inner fender and taping the body panel joint on the inside works best...more than one way the skin a cat...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seal with the weatherstripping foam on the inside upper part of the wheel well down to the crack and use clear weather proof caulk to seal the crack. I haven't had a pebble in there since I did the caulk and it isn't noticible.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
i have found removing the inner fender and taping the body panel joint on the inside works best...more than one way the skin a cat...
Only way to go. I did the weatherstripping mod initially and it helped but pebbles still found they're way in. Pulled off the liner and taped the area off where the pebbles drop down onto the seam and the problem is cured.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Only way to go. I did the weatherstripping mod initially and it helped but pebbles still found they're way in. Pulled off the liner and taped the area off where the pebbles drop down onto the seam and the problem is cured.
i will have to try this as weather stripping it still does occur
Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NW94Z
I agree...

I removed the entire inner wheels when I did mine.( foam inbetween the rear fenders and inner fender well). I also used HVAC silver tape to cover the gap ( from inside) in between the fender and lower rocker panel in case more crap gets in there..... and it will, running R6's this summer.

This will keep the "gap" clean without placing clear silicone or foam in there for an unsightly look from outside of the car. I should have took pictures but was trying to wrap things up so I could take the wife out to dinner.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
I agree...

I removed the entire inner wheels when I did mine.( foam inbetween the rear fenders and inner fender well). I also used HVAC silver tape to cover the gap ( from inside) in between the fender and lower rocker panel in case more crap gets in there..... and it will, running R6's this summer.

This will keep the "gap" clean without placing clear silicone or foam in there for an unsightly look from outside of the car. I should have took pictures but was trying to wrap things up so I could take the wife out to dinner.

Pretty much how I did mine only I used black duct tape. Looks like stock but there will be no rocks anymore.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 PM
jamsvet
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Just a hint, when you have removed the wheelwells, put some soundproofing on the backside. I used spray on sound deadening and every little bit helps.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Go figure, you would think with all the testing done on these cars somebody would of thought of this.But then again, it gives us a chance to play with our toys.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 PM
usmc42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed this today when I was installing my bilsteins. So basically I need some sort of caulk rod or tape or weather stripping in between the wheel well and rear fender? I wish someone had a picture of the inside. Oh well I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow
Old 03-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Don Rhoads
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Fender Stones Lower Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by stroked250
I have been trying to figure out how the small rocks are getting stuck between the rear fender and the lower rocker panel. I think I found it!

The rocks are being thrown from the tires at the rear inner fender liner and some are getting between the wheel well liner and the fender on the outer edge!

...anyone solve this issue?
That link and the fix was perfect and someone asked if only right side problem . My problem was both sides I spent an hour chasing them out with plastic needles .
Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just did the weatherstripping but may have to go in again according to the above posts. Pics from someone who has done the tape mod would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Rhoads
That link and the fix was perfect and someone asked if only right side problem . My problem was both sides I spent an hour chasing them out with plastic needles .
It's easier to use a paint brush!

Get notified of new replies

To Small pebbles that appear between the rocker and rear fender gap

Quick Reply: [Z06] Small pebbles that appear between the rocker and rear fender gap