Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] cam/head+cam dyno compare-anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:10 AM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam/head+cam dyno compare-anyone?

bottem end of the ls7 is being rebuilt and forged. while the heads are being taken off, i am looking into getting some ported heads. tried to do a search of charlies ported heads, but came up empty and mti's are too pricey at $1700. texas speeds prc cnc ported heads claim +30rwhp(prob 20rwhp) and are $1000 exchange. not bad, but are they worth it over the stock heads? car has full bolt ons and rr lethal cam making 541/497. has anyone used these heads? love to see a dyno graph overlay of a cam only vs. heads and cam. is the 20-25rwhp at peak or through out the entire band? how much torque gain is usually expected? car will see 90% use on the street and highway pulls.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:58 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of that power is coming from the milling of the heads, bumping compression. The stock heads are not optimized to flow past .600 lift w/o getting turbulent when moving a high volume of air(high rpm). Thats where the porting comes in. I have seen the MTI heads produce results and I have no doubt Charlies heads are worth the money when u consider the cost of a single hp after the 550-570rwhp level.

The other thing to remember is a good ported head will make good power w/ even a STOCK cam. A GREAT man named John (RIP) used to preach that good heads and a small cam will make better power than a big cam and "ok" heads.

As far as the LS7 heads go, the more lift u use, it becomes more important to pay attention to what the ports are doing. And 1700 for port work? If u think that is expensive....u have never heard of Larry Meaux....he would get that for a single head.....
Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Here ya go! QM600 with full bolt ons and then same with TSP heads milled .030" (estimate 12:1 CR)

The increased CR gave me crisper throttle response, and, believe it or not, about one more MPG. Oh, and about 20+ more rwhp.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:38 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FNQWK
bottem end of the ls7 is being rebuilt and forged. while the heads are being taken off, i am looking into getting some ported heads. tried to do a search of charlies ported heads, but came up empty and mti's are too pricey at $1700. texas speeds prc cnc ported heads claim +30rwhp(prob 20rwhp) and are $1000 exchange. not bad, but are they worth it over the stock heads? car has full bolt ons and rr lethal cam making 541/497. has anyone used these heads? love to see a dyno graph overlay of a cam only vs. heads and cam. is the 20-25rwhp at peak or through out the entire band? how much torque gain is usually expected? car will see 90% use on the street and highway pulls.
Mr. FNQWk, do your search well

About 1.5 years ago the choices were limited when it came to heads but nowadays any good tuner can set you up with a nice set of heads that will complement your needs, budget and overall package.

Remember this: PACKAGE! Don't go crazy with a set of heads and then stick a crappy cam in or, the reverse, don't go crazy with a cam on crappy worked heads. Don’t fall trap to names behind the heads. Ask for flow sheet, specs on the head and so on.

We have sold many mild and some wild H/C set-ups that simply produced power that made others wondering how it was done; ask and search on this forum and you will see. Our cams with either our heads program or from others such as Charlie at RPM, Advance Dyno, Newtech, Quality Motorsports, Speed Inc, WCC heads and so on have produced insane power. Power in ranges between 585 and 608 to the tires on pump gas!

Also keep this in mind, with the new LSXR intake soon to be released, we will offer the intake ported to all of our QM cam customers for little cost and to other for minimal cost as well when they buy unit from us or one of our cams. If form follows function including the new intake, you can possibly be looking at a 610 or 620 to the tires beast!!!

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 03-21-2009, 04:25 PM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

thanks carlos and john. just the graph i was looking for. +23rwhp/+29rwtq, not bad for a 1000 dollar set of heads. my cam is the LETHAL and wondering if these heads will compliment this cam. car is going to be a street warrior/ highway roller. is 91 octane good enough for 12.1 comp?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

thanks carlos and john. just the graph i was looking for. +23rwhp/+29rwtq, not bad for a 1000 dollar set of heads. my cam is the LETHAL and wondering if these heads will compliment this cam. car is going to be a street warrior/ highway roller. is 91 octane good enough for 12.1 comp?
I think RR uses MTI heads with their cams. Give 'em a call. I think they made a post about it earlier.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kappa
I think RR uses MTI heads with their cams. Give 'em a call. I think they made a post about it earlier.
They do, Randy and I talked about this just the other week, he and Shawn are happy w/ the mti heads.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

No problem amigo.

12.1 and 91 pump gas will be a little tricky, paying close attention to your timing will be key! In many cases, you will have to roll in your timing settings by 1* to 1.5* increments tappering off on top a bit. Then keep your fuel curve between 12.3 and 12.5 or maybe 12.6 depending on the car. Just make sure that you get no knock and the above suggested A/F remains so while ON THE ROAD and not on the dyno! Ask your tuner to use a Wideband.

If you are running a wet shot, then try running one size bigger on the fuel pill. If Dry shot, then make sure your MAF Hz are set higher on the high hertz (8800 to 12200) and then make sure they pull out timing in your IAT table from 41* to -40* from Cyl airmass 0.36 down to 1.36. I like removing between -8 and -5 tappering off towards the colder settings.

Sorry for the over information if you or your tuner already know all this.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 03-22-2009, 03:46 AM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
No problem amigo.

12.1 and 91 pump gas will be a little tricky, paying close attention to your timing will be key! In many cases, you will have to roll in your timing settings by 1* to 1.5* increments tappering off on top a bit. Then keep your fuel curve between 12.3 and 12.5 or maybe 12.6 depending on the car. Just make sure that you get no knock and the above suggested A/F remains so while ON THE ROAD and not on the dyno! Ask your tuner to use a Wideband.

If you are running a wet shot, then try running one size bigger on the fuel pill. If Dry shot, then make sure your MAF Hz are set higher on the high hertz (8800 to 12200) and then make sure they pull out timing in your IAT table from 41* to -40* from Cyl airmass 0.36 down to 1.36. I like removing between -8 and -5 tappering off towards the colder settings.

Sorry for the over information if you or your tuner already know all this.

Thanks,
Carlos
thanx carlos. i think your last post you could have have written in chinese, cuz i could not comprehend it-but i hope my tuner can. at the very least im going to mill my heads(have to make up the hp loss for the forged bottem end)
Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Randy@RaginRacin
Supporting Vendor

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Trust me we have tried several sets of heads. We don't sell anything with out testing it. $1700 for a set of heads is not a bad price. What is a bad price though is when you spend $1000-1300 with a company and only pick up 5hp like on some of the heads we have tested. Thats a real bummer.
We use the MTI heads because we have tested them on the Dyno and at the track and the bottom line is they work. 28-32rwhp on every car we have tested. 2-5 mph gains at the track.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
evo8 MR
Racer

^^^No kidding.. ask me about my heads, my price and my gains... I have seen many people making as much power as me minus the heads..
Old 04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Mr. FNQWk, do your search well

About 1.5 years ago the choices were limited when it came to heads but nowadays any good tuner can set you up with a nice set of heads that will complement your needs, budget and overall package.

Remember this: PACKAGE! Don't go crazy with a set of heads and then stick a crappy cam in or, the reverse, don't go crazy with a cam on crappy worked heads. Don’t fall trap to names behind the heads. Ask for flow sheet, specs on the head and so on.

We have sold many mild and some wild H/C set-ups that simply produced power that made others wondering how it was done; ask and search on this forum and you will see. Our cams with either our heads program or from others such as Charlie at RPM, Advance Dyno, Newtech, Quality Motorsports, Speed Inc, WCC heads and so on have produced insane power. Power in ranges between 585 and 608 to the tires on pump gas!

Also keep this in mind, with the new LSXR intake soon to be released, we will offer the intake ported to all of our QM cam customers for little cost and to other for minimal cost as well when they buy unit from us or one of our cams. If form follows function including the new intake, you can possibly be looking at a 610 or 620 to the tires beast!!!

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Carlos

Whats the cost of the WCC heads? Are they or who makes the best heads out there?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

I'm your huckleberry......well, kind of

I have a lethal z cam, american racing headers w/cats, killerbee cai/vette air, and "ported intake manifold/tb"....538/494...10.92@130.79 with a 1.81 60ft.

Yesterday, I picked up my z after having the rpm porting/milling and intake cnc porting, but dont have accurate dyno numbers. I forgot to remove my mt dr's when I dropped the car off for the upgrade, which kills dyno numbers roughly 25-35whp. HOWEVER, there is a noticeable diff in the sheer throttle response and top end power, guessing my new numbers are roughly 565/520.

My mechanic told me there was a night and day diff in the rpm cnc intake manifold porting versus my previous porting, which is where some of my gains probably came from. it was a long, fairly costly upgrade for the gains, but got exactly what I was looking for.

I will have new dyno numbers and qtr mile times very soon, expecting 134+ traps.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ragin Racin
Trust me we have tried several sets of heads. We don't sell anything with out testing it. $1700 for a set of heads is not a bad price. What is a bad price though is when you spend $1000-1300 with a company and only pick up 5hp like on some of the heads we have tested. Thats a real bummer.
We use the MTI heads because we have tested them on the Dyno and at the track and the bottom line is they work. 28-32rwhp on every car we have tested. 2-5 mph gains at the track.
I'll be able to provide a great comparo between the mti heads vs rpm heads by the end of the week. Mike basically has the exact same setup as mine, same tuner, same dyno, and we've been to the dragstrip together. Mikes z makes 22whp peak more than my setup before the rpm heads/intake, and almost all of that hp was from 5000rpm+. his best mph is 3.6mph higher than my best (134.4 vs 130.8).

anyway, should be good info to share with everyone
Old 04-26-2009, 05:00 AM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

well hurry up wth the results will ya! j/k i have finally recieved all my parts for my motor and the crank should be done sometime this week. i would really like to add a set of heads since they are already off. did you mill the heads? opted not to bump the compression as we only have **** 91 octane here in vegas and it gets stupid hot here. pm me for what it cost you-thanx
Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

well hurry up wth the results will ya! j/k i have finally recieved all my parts for my motor and the crank should be done sometime this week. i would really like to add a set of heads since they are already off. did you mill the heads? opted not to bump the compression as we only have **** 91 octane here in vegas and it gets stupid hot here. pm me for what it cost you-thanx
I'll try to put her back on the dyno asap. I had my heads milled, final comp was 11.5-1, not too much higher than stock. I'll follow up with you soon, thanks and good luck with your new setup!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:27 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Here is a cheap and effective alternative:
Mill your heads 0.40 thousandth, use cometics 0.40thousandth headgaskets with the correct left pushrods and you should be all set and make good power.

Remember, every car is different, some will make more power than others. Heck, I've seen as much as a 30rwhp swing from one car vs. the next on the same day and same dyno with everyhting else being equal.

Thanks,
Carlos
Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To cam/head+cam dyno compare-anyone?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burnin4
I'll be able to provide a great comparo between the mti heads vs rpm heads by the end of the week. Mike basically has the exact same setup as mine, same tuner, same dyno, and we've been to the dragstrip together. Mikes z makes 22whp peak more than my setup before the rpm heads/intake, and almost all of that hp was from 5000rpm+. his best mph is 3.6mph higher than my best (134.4 vs 130.8).

anyway, should be good info to share with everyone
Any updates of this??? can someone post some dyno sheet for the 28-32 whp gains for the MTI Heads?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Randy@RaginRacin
Supporting Vendor

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

$1700 for a set of heads is not bad if they work. I'd like to think of all the members trying heads around here with minimal gains or shops talking about their heads with dyno tricks being played. Let me say this again...There is not a whole lot we like from from MTI, but these heads work. Bottom line is that the results are consistent. We don't dyno 600hp with them, but they do gain 28-32 hp with any cam we have. Here are a few examples of some everyday cars we have done, not just the ones we use to how great our numbers are. Just good quality results. You decide. I just had a customer call me this week and tell me how much he spent with a popular vendor here to only pick up 1hp!!!!! MTI ask $2200 and they are worth every penny when you are looking at putting a budget $1000 set of heads on a car with labor, gaskets, fluids, tune to only pick up nothing plus run slower at the track because some yonk decided to port a head to get flow numbers and forgot about velocity in the ports. OK End Rant. I get sick of seeing BS on here to.

Stalker with MTI Heads

Lethal MTI Heads

Lethal MTI Heads
Old 06-04-2009, 02:00 PM
SLOWEST Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragin Racin
Shawn,
i am going with cam right now as i prefer staying N/A but who knows, i might go FI in the future. i know ported heads will work great with N/A car, but i am just wondering about their effect on a F/I car. will those ported heads raise the compression ratio and limit the amount of boost that can be pushed with a Supercharger or Turbo?

Quick Reply: [Z06] cam/head+cam dyno compare-anyone?