Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] '08 C6Z dead battery..won't start with booster cables??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 PM
High 11s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default '08 C6Z dead battery..won't start with booster cables??

Tried to start my car today to take it out of storage and the car would not start.....no big surprise.

Went ahead and connected booster cables at the batter and to my son's trailblazer and still the car would not start. Just starting clicking and would not stop when I release the start button....actually had to release the clutch.

Tried a better set of cables but still the same result.

Have had 3 C6's, a C5 and multiple C4's.....never had this problem.

Is there a trick to jump starting the Z06 ? The battery does not seem to be holding any charge.....even when connected to another vehicle via booster cable...as soon as the cables are disconnected the interior light drains the battery in seconds. Perhaps the car will not start if it senses the battery is dead/ damaged???

Any ideas......don't want to have it towed if I can avoid it.

Am I just missing something simple???

Thanks....James
Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Joe C5
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the battery is that dead it will not start even with a jump (too much drain on the other battery). Seen it several times. It could be revived after being fully charged, but after beeing that dead it is probably toast. I would recommend removing the battery, taking it home and seeing if it will take a charge. If not, new battery. I love this next line (told to me by a battery Engineer). Batteries are like people, they don't like being completely run down, the heat, the cold (you get the idea)...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM
High 11s
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe C5
If the battery is that dead it will not start even with a jump (too much drain on the other battery). Seen it several times. It could be revived after being fully charged, but after beeing that dead it is probably toast. I would recommend removing the battery, taking it home and seeing if it will take a charge. If not, new battery. I love this next line (told to me by a battery Engineer). Batteries are like people, they don't like being completely run down, the heat, the cold (you get the idea)...
Thanks Joe.....I will give that a try! I need to get a strap to pull the battery out of the car tried tonight but its just too tight in there to do by hand...

This is only the second winter for this car (and battery) .....they usually last 3-4 years for me before I need a new battery!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Were you trying an instant start from the jump? Did you leave the trailblazer hooked up and running for at least 25 minutes before trying to start it? Every time you heard clicking you were draining the battery of what ever power it had.

Also, giving a car an instant jump to a weak battery without letting it gain a charge can 'shock' the alternator. Try it again, just be patient!

Mike
Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
High 11s
Racer

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Were you trying an instant start from the jump? Did you leave the trailblazer hooked up and running for at least 25 minutes before trying to start it? Every time you heard clicking you were draining the battery of what ever power it had.

Also, giving a car an instant jump to a weak battery without letting it gain a charge can 'shock' the alternator. Try it again, just be patient!

Mike

Thanks Mike..... I only waited about 5 minutes! Will follow your advice and try again tomorrow. Being patient is something I have still not quite mastered yet !!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:04 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

Mike

...and make sure all accessories are turned OFF (radio; A/C, etc.).

PS: Invest in a Deltran Battery Tender or equivalent.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

does gm's bumper to bumper cover batteries? Just curious, my 06z wouldn't start Sunday after sitting for a week. I had a battery tender on it all winter, but thought I'd be ok for a 1 week sitting. (starting to remind me of the optima I threw out of my c5!) -Dan
Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Hawkeye2
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dealer told me to bring the battery in and they would test it under warranty after
one week of sitting, an 08 Z. I just bought an Odessey, problem solved.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Qtr_Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me, you should atleast wait when charging from another car.

Did u try to jump start it from the battery connectors itself in the back..or did you try it where your suppost to try it which is in the front under the hood..it has it in the manual
Old 04-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye2
Dealer told me to bring the battery in and they would test it under warranty after
one week of sitting, an 08 Z. I just bought an Odessey, problem solved.
If it's typical Z06 battery failure you have at least one shorted cell. It will consume any jump start you try.. My 2 Z06 battery failures in 3 1/2 years of ownership both had shorted cells, that I was unable to jump start. I'm due for my 3rd failure, just a little over a year between batteries going belly up.. You can bet the next one (I'll have to pay for it this time) will not be replaced by a GM battery. I think I'll do an Odessy next time..

Dave
Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

After reading all the posts about bad batteries, I wonder if I just got lucky with mine. I'm now in my 4th season (stored during the winter in MN) and haven't had one problem with my stock battery and have never even had a tender on it.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
After reading all the posts about bad batteries, I wonder if I just got lucky with mine. I'm now in my 4th season (stored during the winter in MN) and haven't had one problem with my stock battery and have never even had a tender on it.
Must be a mistake from the factory.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:46 PM
PewterFRC
Pro

Originally Posted by vetdude
Must be a mistake from the factory.
Factory freak!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Hawkeye2
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

U said it a freak! However, I know I'll jinx it now, but my Chev P/U 2002, still
has the original factory battery in it! Now when I leave work it will be dead!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by High 11s
Thanks Mike..... I only waited about 5 minutes! Will follow your advice and try again tomorrow. Being patient is something I have still not quite mastered yet !!
My wife used to pray, "God grant me patients, and I want it right now!"

Jim
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 PM
High 11s
Racer

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Here is the update...

Tried to connect the booster cables at the battery connections in the rear but still just clicking.

Called the dealer...yes battery is covered under warranty for 3 yr 36,000 miles...that is good but they want me to drive the car in so they can see what is wrong????? If I could start it then I would not need the help!!!!

Anyway...

I removed the battery this morning (wow that is not easy....very little extra room in there!!) and have it on a 2Amp charge all day and will continue all night. I seem to be taking the charge ok but have not tried any load test yet.

I expect it will take 24 to 48 hrs to charge fully at this rate. I am told the battery does not like a rapid charge when discharged...not sure if that is true.

Keep you posted and again thanks for the help.

Of course our 1980 Corvette started right up and the battery is about 6 years old......no computers of course.

James
Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
vetdude
Race Director

If the battery ends up not taking a charge, just take the battery itself back to the dealer while it's already out of the car and tell them to replace it. Why do they need the whole car? Like they're going to find something wrong with the onboard electronics...after messing up your car by putting it on a flatbed of course? And will GM pay for the tow? Not! Good luck!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To '08 C6Z dead battery..won't start with booster cables??

Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

fyi, just got back from the dealer- battery on mine tested ok, but there is a body computer (BCM) program update that my car hasn't seen (06) related to battery draining... so they will be trying that next. Anyone else have this update done and have it work?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05 '09

A Corvette drive not being patient! What a surprise. A Z06 driver not being patient... what a BIG surprise!

Good luck high11s

Originally Posted by High 11s
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Here is another suggesting trying to jump-start the car. Try finding another car or truck with a stronger battery.

Once tried to jump-start on a Ford Escape, that didn't work. Tied it on the F150 and it started right up.

Quick Reply: [Z06] '08 C6Z dead battery..won't start with booster cables??