Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Muffler Mod v.s No Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:45 PM
corvette666
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Mod v.s No Mufflers

Hey guys well I just did the muffler mod and love it, but I think its still a bit to quiet. I am looking to increase volume by about 30%. Does anyone have any experience with the muffler mod v.s removing the muffler and running straight pipes from the H pipe back. Would this be louder than the muffler mod, because isn't the muffler mod essentially a straight pipe when the valves are open. Also, I don't want to do headers for warranty issues, and no x-pipe because I love the crackling and popping the H pipe produces. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:24 PM
IPS Motorsports
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With out mufflers of any kind, the car is going to drone, and be very loud, we have done this in house, and personally I hated it.

If you want a louder exhaust get some long tubes, and and x pipe and then run the B&B bullets! That is generally a loud set up!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:54 PM
dwiemers
Pro

Maybe the OP is trying to get a good sound without spending around $1200? The muffler mod is like $200 usually and straight pipes would prolly cost that much right? I'm looking into the straight pipes also but fear it may be too loud? On my base C6 I have Borla Stingers, would the straight pipe be louder than that on a Z06? I just really want to cut the mufflers off and run two pipes all the way to the back.....
Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 PM
IPS Motorsports
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwiemers
Maybe the OP is trying to get a good sound without spending around $1200? The muffler mod is like $200 usually and straight pipes would prolly cost that much right? I'm looking into the straight pipes also but fear it may be too loud? On my base C6 I have Borla Stingers, would the straight pipe be louder than that on a Z06? I just really want to cut the mufflers off and run two pipes all the way to the back.....

Dont get me wrong, I am not about the most expensive route, but you want to keep some of the quality to the car.

Straight pipes custom made with nice tips will run over 500, plus they really are very loud. Atomicfusion has strait pipes on his car currently we did for him, and I believe he is over it.

The best way would be long tubes, x pipe , muffler mod for a minimal cost, and you will gain performance at the same time.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:40 PM
1SwtRide
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Going in for the muffler mod tomorrow. Have AR headers and X-pipe with LG Man **** (always have trouble typing that ). I'll do a pre-mod sound clip and post mod sound clip to give a comparo.

John

Originally Posted by IPS Motorsports
Dont get me wrong, I am not about the most expensive route, but you want to keep some of the quality to the car.

Straight pipes custom made with nice tips will run over 500, plus they really are very loud. Atomicfusion has strait pipes on his car currently we did for him, and I believe he is over it.

The best way would be long tubes, x pipe , muffler mod for a minimal cost, and you will gain performance at the same time.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:45 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I 1st got my Z the original owner took the muffs off and ran straight 3" pipe out the back...it was insanely loud and it really droned badly. I actually wore earplugs until I got a proper exhaust put back on it.

You can hear an idle clip of mine on the cam/exhaust sound thread with the straight pipes.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:58 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you need cutouts?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:03 PM
corvette666
Advanced

The muffler mod is great, but I would like it to be a tad bit louder. Changing the H pipe to an x pipe won't really increase sound, and the car won't pop and gurgle as much on deceleration. I don't want to remove my cats, so the only other option is straight pipes. Are straight pipes that much louder than a stock with muffler mod? I thought that when the valves are open it is essentially a straight pipe?

I just don't want to waste resources by getting straight pipes only to realize it's the same in terms of noise level as the muffler mod.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Stage Runner
Burning Brakes

Two words..........open headers!

That should be loud enough with a lot of snap, crackle and pop.....

SR
Old 05-22-2009, 07:15 PM
patch68
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

My buddy has a c5 Z06, and he has headers going into the stock cats and x-pipe. The car sounds bad a$$. It is also surprising quite when your not getting on it. Its got me thinking about a strait pipe out the back first with stock manifolds, then maybe trying headers. just a thought.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 PM
corvette666
Advanced

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
Maybe you need cutouts?

Too much fab work, and don't like the idea of exhaust comming out from under the car.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 PM
corvette666
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stage Runner
Two words..........open headers!

That should be loud enough with a lot of snap, crackle and pop.....

SR
lol, I value my hearing.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SwtRide
Going in for the muffler mod tomorrow. Have AR headers and X-pipe with LG Man **** (always have trouble typing that ). I'll do a pre-mod sound clip and post mod sound clip to give a comparo.

John
Hey john when are we gonna hook up to take a ride?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:26 AM
IPS Motorsports
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvette666
The muffler mod is great, but I would like it to be a tad bit louder. Changing the H pipe to an x pipe won't really increase sound, and the car won't pop and gurgle as much on deceleration. I don't want to remove my cats, so the only other option is straight pipes. Are straight pipes that much louder than a stock with muffler mod? I thought that when the valves are open it is essentially a straight pipe?

I just don't want to waste resources by getting straight pipes only to realize it's the same in terms of noise level as the muffler mod.
No the valves open and you still have the sound dispersing through out the muffler chamber, so not even close to straight pipe sound.

The best thing for you would be to try it, and if you get tired of it, put the mufflers back on!

-Brandon
Old 05-23-2009, 12:29 PM
patch68
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Pull the cat back off, and fire it up. That will give you an idea for free. and go from there.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:34 PM
corvette666
Advanced

Originally Posted by IPS Motorsports
No the valves open and you still have the sound dispersing through out the muffler chamber, so not even close to straight pipe sound.

The best thing for you would be to try it, and if you get tired of it, put the mufflers back on!

-Brandon
Really, even with "the muffler mod" where the perforated opening are blocked? I know the 2 inner valved pipes are completely straight piped when open. The only thing that might not make it a true straight pipe is the outer tips don't get blocked off so even with the valve open some of the flow might be going to the outer tips reducing noise. Doe anyone know how the outer tips muffle? It seems like most of the flow goes to the inner tips because their is a lot more carbon buildup on those tips when they are open.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:22 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

There is a diagram in the PDF file that shows how the muffler works.

Muffler Mod Instructions (PDF File)

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler Mod v.s No Mufflers

Old 05-23-2009, 09:32 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Get the Corsa Exhaust

It sounds awesome and there is no drone on the highway
Old 05-24-2009, 06:35 PM
corvette666
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vette-Pilot
Get the Corsa Exhaust
It sounds awesome and there is no drone on the highway

From what I have heard so far my muffler mod is as loud or louder than the corsa, and unfortunately its still not loud enough.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:38 PM
corvette666
Advanced

Alright guys I have decided to go the straight pipes route, does any vendor sell straight pipes with quad stock like tips? How much would I look to pay for an exhaust shop to custom make these. It si my understanding that when the over axle pipes connect to the muffler it goes from a 3 inch pipe to a 2.5 inch pipe. I want to basically keep it 3 inches all the way back to the quad tips. I would think it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks for a quality made item?

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Muffler Mod v.s No Mufflers