Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Has a LS7 Ti rod ever failed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 AM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Has a LS7 Ti rod ever failed?

Has anyone seen/heard/touched or smelt a LS7 Ti rod that has failed due to over-stressing? I have heard speculation, but have yet to see any confirmed failures (doesnt help that you cannot search "Ti" as it is only 2 letters).

Closest I found is the below thread. The rod failure mentioned seemed to occur after piston failure so not really applicable...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...y-upgrade.html

If there is a "yes" to the question, what was the HP and the suspected cause?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason at Katech shared this picture with me...but I don't know the application. I had a local engine builder tell me that Titanium does not bend...it will only break. This picture shows that it will bend.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
Jason at Katech shared this picture with me...but I don't know the application. I had a local engine builder tell me that Titanium does not bend...it will only break. This picture shows that it will bend.

300 shot of juice??
Old 07-06-2009, 03:57 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Jason said they have never had a Ti rod failure that was the root cause.
Bowtiguy runs the Ti rods on his LS7 454 and he makes over 600 WHP (700-750 at the crank).
Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
300 shot of juice??
That would be my guess.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Woah, woah woah. Lets be clear. That rod bent because the piston failed. It was not the root cause. We've never failed an LS7 rod (root cause).

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Woah, woah woah. Lets be clear. That rod bent because the piston failed. It was not the root cause. We've never failed an LS7 rod (root cause).
Ah man... I was just getting settled in for a good "Ti vs forged steel" rod debate.

Well, at least Jason saved about 5 pages of bandwidth on the forum.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

My Ferrari mechanic told me that F wants their Ti rods swapped at 50,000 miles bcus they believe the Ti weakens with heat or use by then
Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
ok so a new fuel pump, tune, forged pistons, bolt-ons, 300 shot of nitrous and we're golden??
Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That picture is a good recommendation for the Ti rods. I would love to know the upper safe limit for HP.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The propensity of Ti to break (rather than bend or elongate) depends on the alloy used. Some of the highest strength Ti alloys are relatively brittle and will snap when subjected to loads beyond their yield point.

As you can see from the photo Jason provided, that's not the case with the LS7 rods.

There are all kinds of uninformed "local engine builders" around. Exactly what are the qualifications required to become an "engine builder" other than enough unsuspecting customers to keep said builder in business?

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
ok so a new fuel pump, tune, forged pistons, bolt-ons, 300 shot of nitrous and we're golden??
Let me know how that works out for you.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pistons and rod bolts swapped out and your good!!!!! (stock rods and crank are great pieces). Some charge quite a bit to balance the rotating assembly when using stock rods, stock forge crank and forge aftermarket pistons..

Most will say that the root cause of failure is the stock pistons or rod bolts..

Last edited by BADZ; 07-07-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:48 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

I think Katech likes the solid silcone bronze wrist pin bushings in the rods too, probably a bit more stable at high loads and less prone to deformation. I believe the factory ones are split bushings.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:30 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
I think Katech likes the solid silcone bronze wrist pin bushings in the rods too, probably a bit more stable at high loads and less prone to deformation. I believe the factory ones are split bushings.
Plus Katech uses upgraded bolts which you can order direct from Jason.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have personally seen and held a set of Ti rods that were ALL bent due to a greedy owner with too much nitrous. The liners were all cracked and the pistons were in a bazillion pieces or two!

So, Piston failure was the cause and the rod just twisted over. Now, what surprised me was just how "well" the Ti Rods took the damage after seeing what the pistons looked like.

Any idea what machine shops are charging to balance a forged piston+stock crank/rods? Norm.?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by obzidian
I have personally seen and held a set of Ti rods that were ALL bent due to a greedy owner with too much nitrous. The liners were all cracked and the pistons were in a bazillion pieces or two!

So, Piston failure was the cause and the rod just twisted over. Now, what surprised me was just how "well" the Ti Rods took the damage after seeing what the pistons looked like.

Any idea what machine shops are charging to balance a forged piston+stock crank/rods? Norm.?

So the Ti rods were not the root cause of failure. The original poster is asking for root cause.

Get notified of new replies

To Has a LS7 Ti rod ever failed?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Jason said they have never had a Ti rod failure that was the root cause.
Bowtiguy runs the Ti rods on his LS7 454 and he makes over 600 WHP (700-750 at the crank).

haven't backed that one up yet on the dyno, but its got to be close with the new heads.... we were only 28hp away with the stock heads. I can tell you one thing, the motor revs like no other with the stock Ti rods, callies magnum crank and Katech pistons.

+1 for rebushed Ti rods holding up just fine.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Man, you guys are good. Can you help me figure out what went wrong coming out of turn four at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 1987?

Thanks, in advance, for all your help!

Jim
Old 07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
Man, you guys are good. Can you help me figure out what went wrong coming out of turn four at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 1987?

Thanks, in advance, for all your help!

Jim
That was quite a few years ago, but after examining the carnage on your desk, I'd say there was a "loose nut" on the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Has a LS7 Ti rod ever failed?