Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Battery Voltage / Bad Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM
gmansbu
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Battery Voltage / Bad Alternator?

I was having some battery problems with my 06 Z a few weeks ago, so I bought a new battery. Everything seemed to be fine and the car always ran at 14.5 volts while I was driving it.

Today its been kinda funny and running as high as 13.5 or as low as 12.5. Its at 13.5 when the car is moving and 12.5 when the car is sitting at a stoplight or wherever. Is there a problem with my alternator or is everything in a normal operating range? Could it be because its 88 degrees out today and I have the a/c on high while being in a lot of stop and go traffic?

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. Thanks in advance...

Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had a simular problem with my Northstar...took it to Auto Zone and they advised thet the alternator...although not yet bad...was weak and would go out soon....same thing as you....13.5 going and stopping it was around 12.5.....I was hoping it was a belt.....
Old 07-16-2009, 07:25 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

That would probably be the regulator on its way out.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
gmansbu
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

If I get the alternator replaced will they replace the regulator too?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Bracati
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anymore, the regulator is part of the alt. I had a BMW way back that the regulator was a replaceable item within the alt and a quick fix. If your battery is charged, your regulator is doing its job backing off the charge in the 13.5 area
Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gmansbu
I was having some battery problems with my 06 Z a few weeks ago, so I bought a new battery. Everything seemed to be fine and the car always ran at 14.5 volts while I was driving it.

Today its been kinda funny and running as high as 13.5 or as low as 12.5. Its at 13.5 when the car is moving and 12.5 when the car is sitting at a stoplight or wherever. Is there a problem with my alternator or is everything in a normal operating range? Could it be because its 88 degrees out today and I have the a/c on high while being in a lot of stop and go traffic?

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. Thanks in advance...

My Z was doing the same thing about two weeks ago until the alt finally let go. I took it off and ran to a rebuilt shop and that puppy was beyond repairs. I then went to GM and purchased a new unit and the car was back to normal.

If you lilke, remove yours and have it tested and rebuilt before it totally fries up like mine did. New GM LS7 alts are priceeeeey. I needed mine ASAP to race a chavo in Mexico so I decided to bypass my warranty crap.

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Voltage / Bad Alternator?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Battery Voltage / Bad Alternator?