Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 Engine Failure - GM voids warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Whirls
Good idea - I have had 2 Vipers and never had a problem with either one.... But, I like the Z06 better - I could actually get the interior to cool off in the Texas summer heat, etc. Well, I used to like it better anyway...
There's nothing wrong with you wanting to go back, Can't blame you for it, I have never owned a Viper but I rarely hear about those engines going off. Then again I have never had a problem with my Z06 as well. I have been leaning towards a second car though, and the 08 viper seems to be taking the lead.

Hope your problem really gets cleared. Which the best of luck to you.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:57 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 305 Posts

Good idea - I have had 2 Vipers and never had a problem with either one.... But, I like the Z06 better - I could actually get the interior to cool off in the Texas summer heat, etc. Well, I used to like it better anyway...
I know what you mean.

My Viper was solid, and an oven to ride in.

But, there was a round where Vipers had oil starvation issues, that's why they developed the oil pan with a swing arm in it.

Z06 why easier to track and live with. And, no I haven't track it nor will track my '09 Z.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06
I know what you mean.

My Viper was solid, and an oven to ride in.

But, there was a round where Vipers had oil starvation issues, that's why they developed the oil pan with a swing arm in it.

Z06 why easier to track and live with. And, no I haven't track it nor will track my '09 Z.
Hey BlaznZ06, I've heard about those side exhausts issues. Is it really that bad? Can't the A/C overshadow that issue? Do you know if the 08's or 09's have that same problem or if it has been tamed down a bit? Is it an uncomfortable ride? No racing just driving.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Very sorry for the bad news. Maybe some good will come from this for guys buying used cars. Thanks for the Thread............Joe
Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by yanniz
IMO the tune has nothing to do with it, other than being used as an excuse to not cover your loss under the warranty.....

you bought the car with 1500 miles, you drove it for over 10000 miles before it popped, think about it logically...

Good luck...
Could be a cumulative affect from a sh1tty tune. These things can take time to surface just like the oiling issue, which more than likely is also cumulative. Otherwise every Z would pop on the very first hard driven track day, but they don't...
Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Could be a cumulative affect from a sh1tty tune. These things can take time to surface just like the oiling issue, which more than likely is also cumulative. Otherwise every Z would pop on the very first hard driven track day, but they don't...
sorry, don't buy it.....also it does sound that 8 months ago (how many miles?) the stock tune was flashed back in to the car.....

I guess no way to tell for sure without digging in to it much more but if I had to put any money on this I would say the spring just failed and dropped the valve....
Old 07-28-2009, 06:50 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you need to go to the dealership that tore down your engine. Ask to see the engine, all parts removed, and what failed. It would help if you had a digital camera & someone that has a clue about engines. If the tune was bad & overheated the valve, it's possible there will be some telltale signs still visible. However if you see a broken spring or retainer, its very unlikely the tune caused that, unless the rev limit was raised or a downshift was missed.

Last edited by 4wheels; 07-28-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You seem to be adamant about GM being able not to detect a previous tune that has been flashed back to stock, but offer nothing to back up your assertion. How about you having a tune put on YOUR car, then have it flashed back to stock, then take YOUR car to a dealer and have them run a scan and have them send it off to GM. Are you willing to chance GM blocking your warranty, if they detect the previous tune?

I'm sure others would also be curious about the outcome.
I am not sure of it because I have other sources than this forum that have stated there is no counter. Now I have also seen other sources stating that Duramax trucks ECM have alot more anti-tune device counters momojumba than the C6.

This just highlight the huge lack of due process, and further illustrate that there's no customer protection. The guy bought a used car, was told it was stock and under warranty. The engine blows, now GM says it isn't under warranty because it was re-programmed, and the op said he never did it...I'd be sueing until I have a new ZR1 paid for in my garage...but that's just me! the GM BS has to stop somewhere, and this is a good example...and there must be some customer protection for the person that buy a used car from a dealer.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by shifter77
YOU NEED TO DEAL WITH THE DEALERSHIP THAT SOLD YOU THE CAR.
I agree. There are just two real possibilities here:

1. The dealer sold you the car as a warranteed car.

2. You bought the car "as is"

If it's #1 then the dealer MUST stand behind the car or take it back. If it's #2 (and they would have had to make that very clear to you and you would have had to sign a thing that said so) then it's your problem.

All the rest of this is a side show.

Z//
Old 07-28-2009, 07:12 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
I am not sure of it because I have other sources than this forum that have stated there is no counter. Now I have also seen other sources stating that Duramax trucks ECM have alot more anti-tune device counters momojumba than the C6.

This just highlight the huge lack of due process, and further illustrate that there's no customer protection. The guy bought a used car, was told it was stock and under warranty. The engine blows, now GM says it isn't under warranty because it was re-programmed, and the op said he never did it...I'd be sueing until I have a new ZR1 paid for in my garage...but that's just me! the GM BS has to stop somewhere, and this is a good example...and there must be some customer protection for the person that buy a used car from a dealer.

Sorry but I don't agree.
The fellow bought a used car. Who knows what the car has been through that might have precipitated the problem. His issue has to be with the selling dealer that either didnt do enough homework or misled him. If sending an ECU scan to GM for verification is what has to be done to verify no computer mods then dealers should do it. What if it was a cam that was in the car? or aftermarket pistons say. Should GM provide warranty? No. Is it reasonable that the selling dealer tear the motor down to verify it is stock? No. But once they say GM warranty it is the dealer that has to come good. Will they? Not likely.

This is no different than buying an old muscle car back in the day.......

Caveat Emptor!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

^ well we agree on one tid bit that the dealer should do more homework hence be more "responsible". Still not the newer owner's responsability though, and if GM doesn't have the ecm reccording the date, this could be interesting in court...but I guess it would take alot of money for that too...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

man, this really blows...OP, sorry.

Have you tried contacting the dealer that sold you the car and see what they have to say about it?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
I fully agree...VERY, very seldom you will see something like this happen right away...it usually takes time for these things to display into symptoms or finally give in.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by American Psycho
good point. Wow, I can't believe these stories...amazing. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I still can't believe these motors aren't holding up, even with a tune....did GM make these engines to be built to the very limit from the factory and any power adders after that are set up for catastrophic failure?
That's the issue!! The diehards will have their defense, but I've modded way too many cars and usually there is 1 critical point you don't cross. As long as you stay under that your golden these LS7's seem to have numerous problems and fail for a number of reasons.

Unsure what I'm going to do......crazy wife suddenly wants a career change and says "I want to go to med school now?"
Old 07-28-2009, 08:10 PM
jmalto
Advanced

The fact these things are blowing stock with no modifications (at least 2-3 this week?) really makes me wonder the quality of the motors or if there is a design flaw.

I am surprised nobody has looked into a class action lawsuit.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jmalto
The fact these things are blowing stock with no modifications (at least 2-3 this week?) really makes me wonder the quality of the motors or if there is a design flaw.

There has not been 2 or 3 this week. One of the posts was from earlier and it was already warrantied and put back in the car. Besides, that car had coil overs, sway bars etc.

There was a thread from 2 weeks ago about a customer of mine that blew. His car is being repaired under warranty and it is bone stock. I think there has been closer to 1 a week and of those, less then half are bone stock.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jmalto

Its interesting and amusing to watch the paranoia and bull$#*+ borne from it.

This is an example of it.

jmalto, what 2-3 stock with no modifications LS7s have blown in here this week?

Point them out.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 Engine Failure - GM voids warranty

Old 07-28-2009, 08:18 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil
That's the issue!! The diehards will have their defense???, but I've modded way too many cars and usually there is 1 critical point you don't cross. As long as you stay under that your golden these LS7's seem to have numerous problems and fail for a number of reasons.

Unsure what I'm going to do......crazy wife suddenly wants a career change and says "I want to go to med school now?"
Here's another issue Jasil, if these cars had 1000HP people would be looking to mod it to 1100HP or 1200 or maybe 1300...

Where does it end is the question?... For many, it never ends. and shame on them for bitchin' when it blows! Track tires, suspension, and a tune is pretty substantial for a car that's already pretty ballsy. It comes out of the box with over 450 RWHP ...WTF man???

Next question is, who can really use all this power from the factory efficienty??? Answer: "Not many of us...period" So this fruitless search for power is in vain and is detrimental to our warranties.

There's are some that "can" use this stock power and two or three come to mind...Ranger, Jamie Furman, Frank Gonzalez...these guy run the shiz out of their stock cars on the track and strip with AWESOME results!!!

Now I would wager that "very few" on this forum with 100 more horses could touch these guys...now tell me... "What's the point of modding a car with this kind of power, and comes with a 5/100,000 drivetrain warranty when you could be throwing the warranty out the window and probably haven't gotten the most out of the 505HP it came with???"

Last edited by 3LZZ06; 07-28-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I know this has been coming up a lot lately, but I am very frustrated! One of the valves broke (in Cyl 6) on my 08 Z06 with 12K miles and it went through the intake so it got both sides. The dealer said I need a new motor and sent the info to GM
When did it pop? How long have you been fighting with them?

I purchased the car with 1500 miles on it and it was completely stock, or so I thought. I heard stories about GM denying warranties so I never touched the motor, only changed suspension and wheels. Now GM says that someone did a tune on it before I bought it and my warranty is void.
How did they know that tune was done on it before you bought it?

First off I don't understand why someone do a tune but keep the stock headers, exhaust, intake, etc. then flash it back just to trade it in with 1500 miles... Doesn't make sense to me. Apparently one of the 15 or 20 numbers in the CPU printout didn't match something it was supposed to. I even had the car in for a check engine light back in December and was told that the car needed a software update (something about the cats) and they didn't say anything about the cpu not being stock - sure wish I knew then and I could have bought an aftermarket warranty or something.
How did they get rid of the check engine light?

I went all of the way through the district rep and was told there is nothing they can do because its not GM's fault. She actually said I need to go after the dealer that sold me the car, which is a scary thought for anyone who sells a Z06! If the Chevy dealership that serviced my car didn't know the car was flashed when they looked at the CPU for a software update, how was the dealer that sold me the car supposed to know (or myself for that matter)? I would strongly recommend anyone considering buying a used Z06 to somehow have a dealer check the codes in the CPU prior to buying the car as apparently that is the only way to tell, or would just steer away from them all together. Not only do I need to buy a new motor, but they are charging me for the tear down (about $1K). Anyone have any recommendations because I think this is total BS and could use some help? Thanks!
This is a very interesting case as I just put this out there on Saturday as a hypothetical with regard to Joe's car.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1570916210

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-28-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
jmalto
Advanced

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Its interesting and amusing to watch the paranoia and bull$#*+ borne from it.

This is an example of it.

jmalto, what 2-3 stock with no modifications LS7s have blown in here this week?

Point them out.
This one, this one: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-failure.html and the one that Randy is rebuilding for a customer?

Granted the second one has suspension mods the MOTOR was still stock and so was the tune. Let's also not forget Joe's post.

So I will admit I had my timing wrong, there are still plenty of examples of cars blowing up stock.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 Engine Failure - GM voids warranty