Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LG Coil Over Choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:34 AM
VetteRacer725
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG Coil Over Choice

Hi Everyone!

I recently bought a C6 Z06 and I want to start doing some HPDE's. I went to the Spring Mountain School and I'm addicted!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on some coil overs and I've been looking at LG's offerings. Here is the information on the different systems:

FROM LG's WEBSITE

G2
Bilstein is at the top of the heap in shock technology world wide. Their nitrogen filled separate chamber technology has been the standard of the shock industry for years. It was only a short time ago that the technology was allowed to be duplicated.

We have used these Aluminum Body Bilstein Shocks as the core of our Coil Over package for years now. The valving was dialed in by Lou and Bilstein shock engineers on the track and on the street.

We Built valving for street cars and for the race car. Of course most of you know the success that we had on track with the Bilstein/LG Coil Over package, winning races against some tough teams and drivers.

Our Coil over package that we have been building for over 8 years for the Corvette uses the best and highest quality Hypercoil springs. I know that the Corvette Market would accept nothing less than the best, so Hypercoil was our choice.

Combine the Bilstein Aluminum Nitrogen Filled Coil Over shock with the Hypercoil Springs and we have a premium coil over package that is race tested, race winning and street proven.

Our Pricing is less than 1/2 of a similar Moton or Penske package with equal performance as shown on the Race track. And our pricing is only slightly higher than the heavier steel coil overs. And for the street, we apologize for giving you more than you need. But at LG Motorsports we consider that "Value".

Here are some questions that you should ask when getting any Coil over package:

1. What material is the shock made of? Is is heavy steel or aluminum?

2. Is it Gas filled with a separate gas chamber? Because if it is not separate, the shock oil will trap air bubbles and reduce and change the effectiveness of the shock with each stroke of the shock.

3. What Brand of spring is being used? Hypercoil, Eibach, or some off brand with no name. The no name springs will sag and take a set, where the Hypercoil springs do not. They are "Pre Stressed" and blanchard ground top quality wire to insure that their installed height does not change.

4. Does the shock length cause it to bottom out when it is loaded in a corner? We took the time to have Bilstein build our LG Shock to our custom length so there is no chance of the shock bottoming under loading. If a shock bottoms, the effective spring rate goes to infinity and the tire is now the only "shock" absorber in the suspension. Obviously this is not a good thing.

5. Adjustability? Adjustable shocks work well for Drag racing because you need a 90/10 shock for the front and a 50/50 for the rear to promote weight transfer. But for all other applications, you need a tuned and balanced shock spring package that work in harmony. The ***** on the shock work well when you change your spring rate but if your springs are already correct for the shock then you will take the shock out of the range of the spring if you are just turning *****.

In other words: The rebound of the shock IS determined by the spring rate. The rebound rate is what is acting against the spring pressure. If you change the spring rate, you MUST change the rebound rate of the shock because a heavier spring rate will push the shock open quicker or similarly a lighter spring will not be able to over come the rebound in the shock and tend to "hang" the wheel up and reduce the tire contact time. So they both work together, and if you just change the shock rate with a **** without changing the springs to match the shock change, then you have just taken your shock/spring package out of "harmony" and it will not work as designed.

Our Shock/Spring package was developed by me at LG Motorsports in conjunction with the highly skilled engineers from Bilstein. We at LG Motorsports have nurtured our racing contacts to be able to carry that technology into the street products that we build.

GT2
At LG Motorsports our saying is: 'We Race - You Win' and that is why we built the product that we have here.

We have always had our G2 Bilstein/Hyperco coil-over shock package, but many of our customers wanted an adjustable shock, so we went to work to make a first-class package just the way I would want it for a race car without welding new mounts in place. This is what we came up with and we did it with no compromises. There are other coil overs out there but they are full of compromises. We did our best to avoid the compromises.

We have a spherical bearing set up on our shocks in all mounting locations other than the bottom of the rear shock "Fork" mount. We did this because of the precision that the bearing offers. Precise and smooth operation that does not interfere with the shock function.

Spherical bearings are the best option for coil-over mounts. Rubber mounts cause a "Trampoline" effect that must be overcome before the shock can actually work. Rubber also changes the spring rate momentarily until fully compressed. In addition, rubber causes side loads in the shock rod and will eventually damage the shaft.

Plastic or Delrin eliminates the "rubber/trampoline" effect, but it introduces new friction that interferes with the operation of the shocks. Forces are forces and the friction involved in a Delrin/plastic mounting system introduces "Hysteresis" losses that interfere with your shock operation.

There are some contridictions between the 2 products and I'm confused?? The first is this:

5. Adjustability? Adjustable shocks work well for Drag racing because you need a 90/10 shock for the front and a 50/50 for the rear to promote weight transfer. But for all other applications, you need a tuned and balanced shock spring package that work in harmony. The ***** on the shock work well when you change your spring rate but if your springs are already correct for the shock then you will take the shock out of the range of the spring if you are just turning *****.

In other words: The rebound of the shock IS determined by the spring rate. The rebound rate is what is acting against the spring pressure. If you change the spring rate, you MUST change the rebound rate of the shock because a heavier spring rate will push the shock open quicker or similarly a lighter spring will not be able to over come the rebound in the shock and tend to "hang" the wheel up and reduce the tire contact time. So they both work together, and if you just change the shock rate with a **** without changing the springs to match the shock change, then you have just taken your shock/spring package out of "harmony" and it will not work as designed.

So is the LG2 for drag racing only? I want adjustable shocks so I can change them for different track conditions; they must not work for road racing or HPDE's?

The next thing I want to ask about the LG2's is this:

From LG Website
Here are some questions that you should ask when getting any Coil over package:

1. What material is the LG2 shock made of? Is is heavy steel or aluminum?

2. Is the LG2 Gas filled with a separate gas chamber? Because if it is not separate, the shock oil will trap air bubbles and reduce and change the effectiveness of the shock with each stroke of the shock.

3. What Brand of spring is being used? Hypercoil, Eibach, or some off brand with no name. The no name springs will sag and take a set, where the Hypercoil springs do not. They are "Pre Stressed" and blanchard ground top quality wire to insure that their installed height does not change.

4. Does the shock length cause it to bottom out when it is loaded in a corner? We took the time to have Bilstein build our LG Shock to our custom length so there is no chance of the shock bottoming under loading. If a shock bottoms, the effective spring rate goes to infinity and the tire is now the only "shock" absorber in the suspension. Obviously this is not a good thing.

I was going to buy these until I read this. What are my other options? I like Penske's but they are expensive and I want to be able to adjust them. I'd appreciate some help in choosing a good shock for HPDE's.

Last edited by VetteRacer725; 08-15-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:44 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're just starting out, I suggest you hold off on mods until you learn to drive the car as it is. There is no substitute for seat time.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:48 AM
VetteRacer725
Intermediate

Originally Posted by allanlaw
If you're just starting out, I suggest you hold off on mods until you learn to drive the car as it is. There is no substitute for seat time.
That is good advice for sure! I don't like the way the back end wants to step out all of the time and when I hit a rough patch the car moves around a lot? I know the sways bars play into it as well as the damping... I've raced carts my entire life and I'd like to start with something better.

I'm not planning on going to R tires yet but I want to dial the suspension in a bit so it feels more comfortable to me; I'd like more understeer personally.

Last edited by VetteRacer725; 08-15-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum! As you'll quickly discover... we're not good at answering the question asked, around here

So... "the back end wants to step out all of the time" is not the way Z06s behave... Is this your Z06? If so, have you checked your alignment? How many miles on your tires? Or are you talking about the Z06's at Spring Mountain??
Old 08-15-2009, 01:27 AM
VetteRacer725
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dreamin
Welcome to the forum! As you'll quickly discover... we're not good at answering the question asked, around here

So... "the back end wants to step out all of the time" is not the way Z06s behave... Is this your Z06? If so, have you checked your alignment? How many miles on your tires? Or are you talking about the Z06's at Spring Mountain??
Thanks for the welcome!!!

It's my car... I had it aligned recently and the tires have 10K. I noticed it a bit on the SM Z06 a bit as well. The Z51's didn't seem quite as bad. It tends to happen on corner entry and through the center of the corner a bit. If I put a Z51 rear bar on do you think it would help? The other issue is when I hit rough patches the car jumps around. It feels like too much compression damping? That's why I'm interest in changing the shocks and I'd like to increase the spring rate while I'm at it.

I wanted adjustable shocks/coil overs and I got confused reading LG's website. Is his adjustable only for drag racing?
Old 08-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try calling Arron at Phadt,Very helpfull bunch of guys.Lou will steer you straight too.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:15 AM
Plano76vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I would strongly recommend going back to a Z51 rear sway bar (cheap) or going with an adjustable pfadt setup. I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a widebody Z51 that i put all Z06 suspension on, springs, shock, and sways and it feels a lot different. Before my next run i will have aftermarket sways or a rear Z51
Welcome to the forum
Old 08-15-2009, 04:34 AM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck getting an answer here
Old 08-15-2009, 11:41 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Good luck getting an answer here
Here is what I wrote on another thread about the same subject.

Hope this helps.
LG
-----------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

I am out of town at the ALMS race (not racing) trying to solidify my deal for Petit with our car.

To answer your question, there is more than one reason. Price is one of them and if you want adjustability.

If you are going to do mainly track racing, and you plan on lowering it to be better on track, then you just have to make the Price decision.

I have run on both sets on track. Bilstein shocks have their own feel to them. I have run other shocks and really have never had a shock that feels like a Bilstein, mainly over bumps.

All of our package use GM T1 sway bars. they work as intended so don't be fooled by "widgets" that just look good but don't really work as intended with regard to sway bars.

OK-- If money was no object, and road racing was the only use ever, then I would run the bilsteins for a couple of reasons. (on a street car)

I already know that the valving is where I set it when we did our testing. So for road racing only, I would not change them. (not the case if you plan on drag racing)
And if I was not going to adjust them, then the Bilsteins are a racing shock and that would be my choice.

If price OR multiple use is the objective AND you might go to the drag strip, or road race track OR take a long over the road trip...Then the adjustable shocks are the answer.

Technically, we had our new Adjustable shocks built with our Bilstein valving set in the middle of the adjuster. Position 6 out of 12 is equal to our Bilstein Valving.

Other differences are that the Bilstein shock bodies are Aluminum and lighter, and they are built to be mounted upside down. Less overall weight and less unsprung weight with the bilstein shocks.

the Adjustable shocks use steel bodies but really nice billet aluminum parts everywhere else.

BOTH shock packages have NO RUBBER mounts, and spherical bearings everywhere. RUBBER or hard grinding plastic is not acceptable in a performance shock.

On position 6 I even put a bilstein on the front and an adjustable on the rear and the handling did not change.

BUt at the Drag race track we put the fronts on position 1 and the rear on position 12 and the car dead hooked and lifted the front to transfer weight.

Why did we build our GT2 adjustable shocks? $500 lower price to meet the demand. Adjustability for dual purpose use. and we wanted to make an affordable coil over package with as few compromises as possible in this price range.

Pretty long winded answer but I am proud of them both. They are not designed for Stock ride height. Both need to have the car lowered at least an inch.

I hope this answer the question.

Sorry I was only looking at my "recent posts" in a search and did not see this question.

I know.....SHOCKING!

see you at the races.

Lou G

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 08-16-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 PM
drabe
Instructor

Originally Posted by allanlaw
However, coil overs greatly improve the street ride and composure over bumpy roads. I have the LG setup (nonadjustable) and Pfadt bars. It's wonderful for street and track.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:40 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Z06's rear end doesn't want to "step out all the time". Just because you had an alignment done, doesn't mean the settings are correct. Even if the tech set it to what he or the factory wants, it may not be the best settings for your car & driving style. Sounds like you need some toe in at the rear, and maybe more negative camber. Also make sure you're smooth on steering input, don't just throw it into a corner.

On the other issue of springs/shocks/bars, etc, I too am debating on switching to a coil over setup from my current leaf spring & Pfadt shock setup and am glad to read more from the vendors about the differences.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:15 PM
hucktyson
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the answer of "nothing feels like a bilstein" any mono tube shock with deflective disk valving can be made to feel like any other shock. i have a roehrig dyno and all the necessary equiptment to rebuild/ revalve the ohlins shocks on my race car and with minimal changes i can make the dyno curves on the ohlins match anything else out there. bilstein makes a very good shock, the also make a remote canister double adjustable threaded body aluminum version that can be had for 500 or so each. those asn series bilsteins in the lg kit are 189.00 shocks with 50 dollar springs that are being sold to you for 2400.00 for a set of 4 i beleive. i guess its the vette tax
Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hucktyson
i love the answer of "nothing feels like a bilstein" any mono tube shock with deflective disk valving can be made to feel like any other shock. i have a roehrig dyno and all the necessary equiptment to rebuild/ revalve the ohlins shocks on my race car and with minimal changes i can make the dyno curves on the ohlins match anything else out there. bilstein makes a very good shock, the also make a remote canister double adjustable threaded body aluminum version that can be had for 500 or so each. those asn series bilsteins in the lg kit are 189.00 shocks with 50 dollar springs that are being sold to you for 2400.00 for a set of 4 i beleive. i guess its the vette tax
Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteRacer725
That is good advice for sure! I don't like the way the back end wants to step out all of the time and when I hit a rough patch the car moves around a lot? I know the sways bars play into it as well as the damping... I've raced carts my entire life and I'd like to start with something better.

I'm not planning on going to R tires yet but I want to dial the suspension in a bit so it feels more comfortable to me; I'd like more understeer personally.
Rough patch at the track? The stock setup, with proper alignment, should not have the rear end step out "all of the time" - again, I think you need to get more comfortable with the car at HDPE events before you start tinkering with the suspension, or trust me, you will NEVER get it dialed in. My advice is always to run it for a year and then see where you are. Otherwise, you'll just spend a lot of money and wind up where you started from, maybe worse. Trust me, I've been there before (2 previous C5's and current C6Z, many track days since 2001).
Old 08-16-2009, 02:09 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by hucktyson
Not exactly, Been there done that. And they just don't feel the same and they don't eat the bumps as well.

We used at least 4 diffefrent brands of high dollar shocks and tried to make them "feel" like and eat the bumps the same and even with the same graph on the shock dyno, we could not match the actual feel and compliance of the Bilsteins over the bumps.

Now, having said that, it does come down to the piston shape, and things like digressive or linear pistons in the shocks among other things inside that add to the way the shocks do their job.

We worked with bilstein for days at the track with different valving and different pistons, to come up with our shocks. We pay much more than what you say mainly because of our special pistons and valving that have to be custom built.

Then in addition, we have custom shock body lengths and custom shaft lengths to work on a Corvette.

THEN, with the custom bodies, and to put 2 1/4" springs on them, we have to have special shock collars built with the bilstein threads but made to fit a 2 1/4" spring.

So when you start looking at what is really necessary to make a shock work on a Corvette with limited space, it is alot more than just buying a shock out of a book.

And don't forget the top and bottom parts that we have machined out to be able to bolt up the top and bottom of the spherical bearing ends to the chassis.

The prices you quote are not for Hypercoil 2 1/4" springs and your shock price is for a generic Bilstein without custom valving, without custom shafts, without custom pistons, without custom machined threaded collars, and without our fabricated Tops and bottoms to adapt the Spherical bearings to the stock chassis mounts.

Hyper coil spring prices:
600 lb. Rate 2.25"ID x 8" Spring HYP188A0600 74.95

650 lb. Rate 2.25"ID x 8" Spring HYP188A0650 74.95

You can also buy flower and Yeast cheaper than Bread.

Sounds pretty involved doesn't it. Because it is.

thanks

LG

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 08-16-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 AM
VetteRacer725
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Here is what I wrote on another thread about the same subject.

Hope this helps.
LG
-----------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

I am out of town at the ALMS race (not racing) trying to solidify my deal for Petit with our car.

To answer your question, there is more than one reason. Price is one of them and if you want adjustability.

If you are going to do mainly track racing, and you plan on lowering it to be better on track, then you just have to make the Price decision.

I have run on both sets on track. Bilstein shocks have their own feel to them. I have run other shocks and really have never had a shock that feels like a Bilstein, mainly over bumps.

All of our package use GM T1 sway bars. they work as intended so don't be fooled by "widgets" that just look good but don't really work as intended with regard to sway bars.

OK-- If money was no object, and road racing was the only use ever, then I would run the bilsteins for a couple of reasons. (on a street car)

I already know that the valving is where I set it when we did our testing. So for road racing only, I would not change them. (not the case if you plan on drag racing)
And if I was not going to adjust them, then the Bilsteins are a racing shock and that would be my choice.

If price OR multiple use is the objective AND you might go to the drag strip, or road race track OR take a long over the road trip...Then the adjustable shocks are the answer.

Technically, we had our new Adjustable shocks built with our Bilstein valving set in the middle of the adjuster. Position 6 out of 12 is equal to our Bilstein Valving.

Other differences are that the Bilstein shock bodies are Aluminum and lighter, and they are built to be mounted upside down. Less overall weight and less unsprung weight with the bilstein shocks.

the Adjustable shocks use steel bodies but really nice billet aluminum parts everywhere else.

BOTH shock packages have NO RUBBER mounts, and spherical bearings everywhere. RUBBER or hard grinding plastic is not acceptable in a performance shock.

On position 6 I even put a bilstein on the front and an adjustable on the rear and the handling did not change.

BUt at the Drag race track we put the fronts on position 1 and the rear on position 12 and the car dead hooked and lifted the front to transfer weight.

Why did we build our GT2 adjustable shocks? $500 lower price to meet the demand. Adjustability for dual purpose use. and we wanted to make an affordable coil over package with as few compromises as possible in this price range.

Pretty long winded answer but I am proud of them both. They are not designed for Stock ride height. Both need to have the car lowered at least an inch.

I hope this answer the question.

Sorry I was only looking at my "recent posts" in a search and did not see this question.

I know.....SHOCKING!

see you at the races.

Lou G
Thanks Lou!!!

So can you feel me in with more information on the LG2?

1. What material is the LG2 shock made of?

2. Is the LG2 Gas filled with a separate gas chamber?

3. What Brand of spring is being used? What are the spring rates?

4. Does the shock length cause it to bottom out when it is loaded in a corner?

5. Who is the manufacture and are they made in the USA?

I noticed you run Penske's on the race car. I like Penske's but they are a little rich for my blood. I thought you used the G2's? I'm just curious why you're using Penske's when you say Bilstein's are the best?

How did the car do this weekend?!

I appreciate your time!!

Last edited by VetteRacer725; 08-17-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
LG Motorsports

Why do you have two threads going with the exact same questions??

See answer here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...post1571171122
Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
You can also buy flower and Yeast cheaper than Bread.

Sounds pretty involved doesn't it. Because it is.

thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 01:51 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another bump for LG!!! Very well thought out product done long before some of the recent brands ever started making Corvette parts. This is the best value for your money. Save the other $2000 Moton's and Penske's will cost, and put them toward a set of rims and Hoosiers and you'll be loving life!!!

After having several Corvettes and doing engine, sway bar, and brake modifications, this was the single biggest improvement I every saw in my car at the track. Worth more than an extra 100hp in my opinion

Get notified of new replies

To LG Coil Over Choice

Quick Reply: [Z06] LG Coil Over Choice