Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Well guys after 2 months of searching made my decision on a Z06.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:17 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Well guys after 2 months of searching made my decision on a Z06.

Much thanks to many on this forum for answering several posts regarding what year to purchase.

For your info. I have owned Vette's for most of the last 28 years of my life, I am 52 now. I currently own a 2006 Pewter coupe which is set up for street/track. (This car my son drives mostly) Also a Silver 06/A6/Z51 with APS Twin-Turbos, which is being put back to stock and will be sold. I have mentaly kicked myself for not purchasing a Z in 06 when I bought the coupe. However at the time I did not know I would fall in love with a road track named VIR (I live 2 hrs away) and participating in 1 or 1 HPDEs per year. Other than that the only abuse the car will recieve is washed to death.

Anyway I am rectifying that mistake now.

This is the deal right or wrong, good or bad;

2009 Cyber Grey.----2700 miles---3LZ

black/titanium---Nav---Chrome Spyder wheels

Chevrolet's full warranty extended one additional year which gives me more full warranty than a brand new one.

Price---$57,000.00

Thank you Wes Milby of Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield Mo.

Hopefully car will be shipped to me in Charlotteville Va. in the next week or so.

OK guys what do you think???????
Old 07-24-2010, 06:06 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a good deal for a stock 09 with that low mileage. I'm in the process of looking right now also. Looks like we have similar taste. Good luck with your new Z!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:06 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
?......

You can never go wrong with a Z06.

The fact that you are buying a Z06, is in and of itself the right move.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Much thanks to many on this forum for answering several posts regarding what year to purchase.

For your info. I have owned Vette's for most of the last 28 years of my life, I am 52 now. I currently own a 2006 Pewter coupe which is set up for street/track. (This car my son drives mostly) Also a Silver 06/A6/Z51 with APS Twin-Turbos, which is being put back to stock and will be sold. I have mentaly kicked myself for not purchasing a Z in 06 when I bought the coupe. However at the time I did not know I would fall in love with a road track named VIR (I live 2 hrs away) and participating in 1 or 1 HPDEs per year. Other than that the only abuse the car will recieve is washed to death.

2009 Cyber Grey.----2700 miles---3LZ

black/titanium---Nav---Chrome Spyder wheels

Chevrolet's full warranty extended one additional year which gives me more full warranty than a brand new one.

Price---$57,000.00

Thank you Wes Milby of Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield Mo.

Hopefully car will be shipped to me in Charlotteville Va. in the next week or so.

Sounds good to me. I just bought 09Z myself brand new never titled for 16K off the sticker. I've had two C5Zs in the past both with gently used miles 6K and 8K miles and both were great cars with no problems. This is my first new Corvette and the best one yet. I know you will enjoy yours. Be prepared to have a perma grin on your face!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:25 PM
twinger01
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hooray for cyber gray....and congrats. u will not regret it.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very solid deal.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

great color, great price, great deal! you're gonna really enjoy it.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Frosty-Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will LOVE the Z! Now to start figuring out the mods! First get that COGS eliminator that is a MUST!

For looks fog mod, then the sky is the limit!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 PM
KevinsZ06
Racer

Your going to love it I am sure. I will be getting mine soon as well and i am stoked. Is it a 2LZ or 3LZ? If a 3LZ then how did I miss that? Dang!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty-Z06
You will LOVE the Z! Now to start figuring out the mods! First get that COGS eliminator that is a MUST!

For looks fog mod, then the sky is the limit!

i think you mean CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Selection) eliminator. fwiw, when i asked my vette mechanic about getting one for my Z06, he said "stop driving like such a p***y and you'll never have issues with CAGS". he was right.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:56 PM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by molon labe
i think you mean CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Selection) eliminator. fwiw, when i asked my vette mechanic about getting one for my Z06, he said "stop driving like such a p***y and you'll never have issues with CAGS". he was right.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Frosty-Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by molon labe
Well yes...so I drive like a p***y! I put around most of the time and constantly watch that fuel consumption trying to get the best mileage.

The "CAGS" (the correct way ) was a blessing! I was like just let me drive the damn car the way I want to! I got so sick of the vrooooooom, shift, bllluuuuuuuuuh.

And like all my mods it's easily fixable back to stock! I won't do a mod if I can't get it back to stock.

Now for the OP burn off those POS OEM Good-for-nothings and put some real tires on there that Hook! I put on some Michelin PS and I DO NOT spin anymore! I can light up in first if I am not careful though by launching to hard but once on a roll stand back! Head whipping action from the shifting! With the OEM's I would spin in 1,2,3,4 and sometimes even 5th! Breaking the tires loose and drifting sideways at 120 in 3rd is kinda spooky. Thank god for the traction control and active handling they got me straightened out. And yes, it broke free with the TC on! It was brief but enough to put another gray hair on my head.

OH! VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!! Even if you plan on keeping the OEM tires or getting new ones, if you are not planning on tracking the car or doing anything like that GET AN ALIGNMENT!!! Do NOT go to the dealer they set it stock for track racing.

Go to a shop that can do a custom alignment (I went to NTB) have them set the tires straight up and down or close to it with very little toe. If you don't you will be lucky to get more than 10k out of your tires, maybe less. I got 11k. The fronts had about 50% wear but on the insides they were showing threads. There are many threads on this in the forum. There are some that posted specs here to.

The back wore a bit on the inside as well seemed to be cambered in a little to much as well. The rears were bald. If you haven't priced the tires yet OUCH. I went a bit bigger for the Hook factor. 345's in the rear and standard up front, think it was 275. The rears are the same size as stock Viper tires.

I think I might go with the non directions Michelin PS'2 though next time. Even thought about the NT05's and one other of the Nitto's. Check em out.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 PM
tcphoto
Advanced

Congrats you are going to love your car. I have the same car except for the interior. The first thing I did was get some of the sound deading pads for the rear cargo area and behind the seats. I had a organizer and divider from a coupe I had, then got a Llyods cargo mat. All of that with the cargo cover got the rear end noise to an exceptable level.

The other thing a had problems with was the shift from 1st to 2nd which may fell a bit notchy. So I had the dealer drain the factory tranny fluid and replaced it with Royal Purple Snycromax fluid. It made a big difference.

I also had a Ipod Pall modual installed so I could have all my music with me and now I am a happy camper.

Enjoy the car and be ready to turn some heads.

Travis
Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 AM
1999PewterCorvette
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE=kenw;1574799703] I have owned Vette's for most of the last 28 years of my life, I am 52 now. I currently own a 2006 Pewter coupe which is set up for street/track.

More importantly , let's see some pictures of this pewter C6. I used to own a '99 pewter FRC and would love to see this color on a C6.
I assume you had your car re-painted. would love to see it.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:48 AM
bkeeton
Advanced

Reliable Chevrolet can make miracles happen . I'm a satisfied customer , for sure . Congrats !

-Blake
Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty-Z06
OH! VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!! Even if you plan on keeping the OEM tires or getting new ones, if you are not planning on tracking the car or doing anything like that GET AN ALIGNMENT!!! Do NOT go to the dealer they set it stock for track racing.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
You can never go wrong with a Z06.

The fact that you are buying a Z06, is in and of itself the right move.

And I'll add that buying pre-owned is the way to go.

Good luck with the new Z and be careful the first time on a track. I was amazed at how much faster the Z is than my 06 Z51. It got me into trouble twice - no damge to the car, just my pride. I had to re-learn how to handle this much performance.

Tom
Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE=1999PewterCorvette;1574811838]
I have owned Vette's for most of the last 28 years of my life, I am 52 now. I currently own a 2006 Pewter coupe which is set up for street/track.

More importantly , let's see some pictures of this pewter C6. I used to own a '99 pewter FRC and would love to see this color on a C6.
I assume you had your car re-painted. would love to see it.
Sorry about that, the Pewter Vette is a 2000 C5, hit the wrong key on computer. I also have always wondered how a C6 would look in Pewter.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Congrats on your new ride Nice to see a positive Z06 Thread!

Seems like everyone is hating on the Z06 lately, blown engine this and not worth the money blah blah GS is just as fast

just picked up my used 07 a few weeks ago and could not be happier!

Last edited by FrankTank; 07-26-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Well guys after 2 months of searching made my decision on a Z06.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Well guys after 2 months of searching made my decision on a Z06.