Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Amazing Z06 (non)maintenance schedule

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 AM
CaramelNougat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amazing Z06 (non)maintenance schedule

I'm coming up on the big two-five on my '07 Z, if I'm not there already: 25,000 happy trouble-free miles. I've been reviewing the manual on the recommended maintenance schedule and related threads here and elsewhere ....

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

The regular maintenance is, like, almost NOTHING!

I wonder why Chevy doesn't promote this a -lot- more in comparison with the C6 Z06 direct competition in terms of performance class: Porsche, Ferrari, AMG, even Nissan GTR. Those cars all have, I guess I would call it, ludicrous regular maintenance.

Seriously, if you exclude tires, the routine maintenance on our world-class performance car is not that much more expensive than a goddamn Honda Accord. IN FACT, the Honda has to have a VERY expensive timing belt service every 50-60k miles! If I'm reading this right, there is NO timing belt or timing chain service mentioned at all in the regular maintenance. I've owned a pile of Japanese cars; I find this a tremendously pleasant surprise.

According to my reading of the owner's manual, regular maintenance up to 150k miles (in addition to the usual oil changes, lubes, fluids, inspections, light bulbs, etc) boils down to just:
- change the wiper blades once in a while
- change the brake pads when they need it
- change the cabin air filter once in a while
- change the engine air intake filter every once in a long while
- change the spark plugs at 100k miles
THAT'S IT?! THAT'S EVERYTHING! UN ****IN BELIEVABLE!

In addition to the above, I've been doing the clutch fluid thing a couple of times a month ... it costs about $5 ...

Seriously! What am I missing here? Is that everything? No belts need replacement before 150k? What about the manual transmission fluid? It's not mentioned in the manual. Radiator flush? Power steering flush?

I'd love to hear from the Porsche owners about the regular maintenance items and costs in that world. It can't possibly be anything like this, can it?

Also would like to know how regular maintenance compares for ZR1, if anyone is familiar with that.

I'm already familiar with what "maintenance" is like for F-cars. I did considerable research when I was looking into 355s and 360s ... I was really shocked by what I discovered.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Yea...you've got to fill the gas tank once in a while....ummmmm....I think that's it!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by CaramelNougat;1571177060................ ...[B
Seriously! What am I missing here?[/B]........
At the end of the day, it is a Chevy and a GM product!! True of most all of their other products. The block has a timing chain not a timing belt. Every Chevy small block V8 has had a timing chain since the original in 1955. You are correct that there is very little to the maintenance such as periodic engine oil changes. For grins I changed the tranny fluid to AMSOIL synthetic at 22k. I changed the diff fluid to AMSOIL Severe Gear at 18k to solve the clutch pack chatter problem. Wasn't mandatory but I felt better doing it.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy cow you got a car where the engine didnt explode after 3k miles?!?!?! Must be a fluke!

Congrats, enjoy the car!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The low mainatence requirements of most cars today (compared to 30-40 years ago) is testament to the efficacy of computer controlled engines.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM
WannagetaZ06
Instructor

As one that is thinking of getting out of my 2003 Aston Martin DB7 GTA - I am encouraged to read and learn more about the maintenance cost of owning a Z06.
If you think owning a Porsche is expensive for maintenance - think about a regular service cost of between $1800 and $2500 for the basic fliud changes, filters, etc. for an Aston Martin. That does not include fluid replacements for the differential, coolant and brake fluid (which needs to be changed every two years). Then factor parts...
So - it is quite attrractive to own a high performance car that Mr Good Wrench can work on... and you can actually afford to maintain - Favor Z06..!!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously! What am I missing here? Is that everything? No belts need replacement before 150k? What about the manual transmission fluid? It's not mentioned in the manual. Radiator flush? Power steering flush?
I believe GM considers the Manual Tranny & Diff fluids "lifetime fills"...
Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

the Z is defianately a low maintenance car but curious as to what is ludicrous about the GT-R regular maintenance?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:55 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Was going to change oil today as it has been 6K miles. Oil life was still at 36% so I read owners manual to see whats up with that. Seems computer counts revs and what have you to determine oil life! So us guys who do alot of freeway type driving at low rpm's get some extra miles between changes. It's a beautiful thing
Old 08-18-2009, 03:24 PM
0Corvettes of Dallas - Parts
Former Vendor

Like a ROCK...

Got to love the Chevy!

Corvettes of Dallas
Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I HIGHLY recommend doing a drain and fill on the trans and diff at least every 25K, more if tracked at all. You would not believe the ugly looking fluid I see come out of some of the trans and diffs with low miles even. I also would think about the coolant at 50k. Other then that, you are good to go. Even with those maintenance items, you are still getting off very cheap when compared to many other similar models out there.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:11 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Rear Links!

Two lube points on rear links.
Did those myself..
Old 08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I HIGHLY recommend doing a drain and fill on the trans and diff at least every 25K, more if tracked at all. You would not believe the ugly looking fluid I see come out of some of the trans and diffs with low miles even. I also would think about the coolant at 50k. Other then that, you are good to go. Even with those maintenance items, you are still getting off very cheap when compared to many other similar models out there.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:17 PM
abicarsy
4th Gear

I too love Chevy very much and it gives great pleasure while driving.

Chevrolet Corvette 2008 Car Parts Information
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gilly6993
the Z is defianately a low maintenance car but curious as to what is ludicrous about the GT-R regular maintenance?
This is what you sign up for with a GT-R:

Those of you 2009 Nissan GT-R haters out there, you're going to love this one. To the GT-R fanboys, well, sorry, this is going to be hard to make excuses for.

Last week we took our Nissan GT-R to Nissan of Santa Monica for routine service. We knew going in that this was going to be an expensive one. We'd been warned ahead of time that this service was not only an oil change (already expensive on these cars), but also a routine change of the differential and transaxle fluids.

Should be simple, right? Consider this: Automatic Transmission Fluid (GT-R specific) lists for $114.98 per quart. That's not a typo-- maybe an accounting error on Nissan's side, but not a typo. Forget Cristal we're going to start seeing hip-hop videos with rappers pouring this stuff on the ground while throwing dollars in the air. Don't worry, though, we didn't pay that. We got a deal; only $84.24 each. What a bargain.

Once you regain your breath-- lost either by laughing or screaming-- follow the jump for the full break-down of this service.

GTR Oil.jpg

(photo by UnderPressure and originally posted on the North American GT-R Owners club forums)

Now that we've all had a good laugh (or cry), here's the breakdown.

Transmission & Diff fluid change:

8 Quarts (Our car took just under 8. They quote 10 quarts, but the ammount used is rarely, if ever, that high. Honest dealers will tell you what your car took. Dishonest ones can easily charge you for the full 10.) of GT-R Automatic Transmission Fluid @ $86.24/ea: $689.92

3 Quarts of GT-R specific differential oil @ $62.02/ea: $186.06

Labor: $500

Oil Change:

1 Oil Filter: $6.95 (finally, something normal)

6-quarts Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W40 @ 9.38/ea: $56.28

Labor: $150

New Engine Air Filters and in Cabin Microfilter: (We could have saved a few bucks and done this one ourselves, but the car was already in the shop.)

2 engine air filters @ $52.86/ea: $105.72

1 Micro Air filter: $53.38

Labor: $115.00

The remote entry was repaired at no cost.

Our service advisor also noted that our right-rear tire had lost a strip of rubber on the inner edge, metal was showing. We have a set of tires already orderd from Stokes Tire Pros in Santa Monica.

TOTALS

Labor: $817.50

Parts: 1,101.31

Tax: 90.86

Total charge: $2009.67

Days out of service (including estimates for the repair): 4

As easy and fun as this is going to be to skewer in the comments, here's a side challenge (which we've also got posted on a white board in our office): What could possibly be in the GT-R specific oil to make it cost $114 per quart?

Mike Magrath, Vehicle Testing Assistant @ 18,916 miles
Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich, What do you think about changing out the Power Steering Fluid as well?
2 qts of fluid is only about $10

At 18,000 K mine is as dark as really bad clutch fluid would be, if it wasn't changed. The new fluid starts out crystal clear. I am in the process of flushing it out right now, similar process to the Ranger method for the clutch fluid. Syphon it out of the resivoir, ReFill, Drive, and repeat about 8 or 10 times. I am now on my
4th flush and it is starting to look a bit cleaner.

Is it a good idea to flush out the Power Steering Fluid, or am I just wasting time?

Original dirty fluid on the left and what new fluid looks like on the right.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 08-18-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 PM
trickability
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well u got forever 2 think about it......

Get notified of new replies

To Amazing Z06 (non)maintenance schedule

Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chonger
This is what you sign up for with a GT-R:

Those of you 2009 Nissan GT-R haters out there, you're going to love this one. To the GT-R fanboys, well, sorry, this is going to be hard to make excuses for.

Last week we took our Nissan GT-R to Nissan of Santa Monica for routine service. We knew going in that this was going to be an expensive one. We'd been warned ahead of time that this service was not only an oil change (already expensive on these cars), but also a routine change of the differential and transaxle fluids.

Should be simple, right? Consider this: Automatic Transmission Fluid (GT-R specific) lists for $114.98 per quart. That's not a typo-- maybe an accounting error on Nissan's side, but not a typo. Forget Cristal we're going to start seeing hip-hop videos with rappers pouring this stuff on the ground while throwing dollars in the air. Don't worry, though, we didn't pay that. We got a deal; only $84.24 each. What a bargain.

Once you regain your breath-- lost either by laughing or screaming-- follow the jump for the full break-down of this service.

GTR Oil.jpg

(photo by UnderPressure and originally posted on the North American GT-R Owners club forums)

Now that we've all had a good laugh (or cry), here's the breakdown.

Transmission & Diff fluid change:

8 Quarts (Our car took just under 8. They quote 10 quarts, but the ammount used is rarely, if ever, that high. Honest dealers will tell you what your car took. Dishonest ones can easily charge you for the full 10.) of GT-R Automatic Transmission Fluid @ $86.24/ea: $689.92

3 Quarts of GT-R specific differential oil @ $62.02/ea: $186.06

Labor: $500

Oil Change:

1 Oil Filter: $6.95 (finally, something normal)

6-quarts Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W40 @ 9.38/ea: $56.28

Labor: $150

New Engine Air Filters and in Cabin Microfilter: (We could have saved a few bucks and done this one ourselves, but the car was already in the shop.)

2 engine air filters @ $52.86/ea: $105.72

1 Micro Air filter: $53.38

Labor: $115.00

The remote entry was repaired at no cost.

Our service advisor also noted that our right-rear tire had lost a strip of rubber on the inner edge, metal was showing. We have a set of tires already orderd from Stokes Tire Pros in Santa Monica.

TOTALS

Labor: $817.50

Parts: 1,101.31

Tax: 90.86

As easy and fun as this is going to be to skewer in the comments, here's a side challenge (which we've also got posted on a white board in our office): What could possibly be in the GT-R specific oil to make it cost $114 per quart?

Mike Magrath, Vehicle Testing Assistant @ 18,916 miles
Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 PM
CaramelNougat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chonger

Thanks man, that's EXACTLY the kind of real-world comparision from real-world owners that I was hoping to get -- actual dollars and cents from a real car.

I have a friend who currently drives the Lexus IS-F and is seriously considering moving up to the GTR. He can't drive stick and needs some sort of back seat for his kids so the Z06 is ruled out.

I've already explained to him various other things I've heard about GTR maintenance, *especially* cost of parts if things break, and quantified data like this is invaluable. I'm not advocating against the GTR at all! I still think it's a top candidate in this performance class, and the maintenance is still less than anything from Italy. Probably not worse than anything from Germany, although I think MB and BMW have a certain amount of routine maintenance provided at no cost? I just want him to make a rational choice with eyes open.

Any Porsche guys can add real-life data for their cars? I'm particularly interested in 997 Turbos GT2 GT3.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 PM
CaramelNougat
Instructor

Thanks for this tip. I remember reading this in a couple of places. Two questions:

1. Off the top of your head have you got an estimate of cost to do this at a dealer?

2. Would it matter for powertrain warranty if the work was done by an independent shop as long as OEM specified fluids were used?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Amazing Z06 (non)maintenance schedule