Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Nitto NT05 bad track experience vs GY F1 vs General UHP

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto NT05 bad track experience vs GY F1 vs General UHP

After all the very positive posts I could read on this forum, I decided to buy the NT05. I am very very dispapointed with the NT05 because I could only drive 300km on the track with them and the middle of the tire is completely worn out, apparently overheated. I can throw them away after one track day

I though at least that I could beat my brother with his GY F1 on his Z06, but no way, the NT05 are definitely not faster than the GY!!

The last tire I have tested was the General Exclaim UHP and was slighly slower than the GY on the track. The UHP after 7000 km including 300km race track where at about 50% tread width. The front of the car has less grip but is very controlable on the curves. These tires are really good on the Z06 sizes but too soft on the curves for the C5.

The GY of my brother have now 5000 km including 750 km track and still have about 40% tread width! I know they shoud be close to be undrivable soon (they are normaly undrivable before they are worn out)but anyway.

I will never buy the NT05 again and I think the best tire for road and track is finaly the GY. I am now hesitating between GY or UHP or maybe the Michelin ZP the for the next set.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 AM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Usually if you have excessive wear in the middle of the tire you are running to much tire pressure. What pressure were you running hot?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 AM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Usually if you have excessive wear in the middle of the tire you are running to much tire pressure. What pressure were you running hot?
+1

Middle wear = excessive tire pressure. The same tire pressure may be better for the GY's, but bad for the NT05's.

Last edited by blaine123; 09-28-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I have not tried the Nitto, but the OEM Goodyear Supercar tires started chunking. Large chunks of rubber separated from the carcass. I was able to drive it home, but then had to replace both front tires.
I will never buy the Goodyears again!
I am going to Michelin PS2.

You should consider the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup for serious track days.

Last edited by Vito.A; 09-28-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
rsmithuf
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

What PSI are you guys using for the Nitto NT-05s? Just had mine mounted on Saturday.....
Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by blaine123
+1

Middle wear = excessive tire pressure. The same tire pressure may be better for the GY's, but bad for the NT05's.

I know that perfectly. But I ran with the 2.2 bar (32 psi) when hot as I usualy do with most of the tires.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vito.A
I have not tried the Nitto, but the OEM Goodyear Supercar tires started chunking. Large chunks of rubber separated from the carcass. I was able to drive it home, but then had to replace both front tires.
I will never buy the Goodyears again!
I am going to Michelin PS2.

You should consider the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup for serious track days.
I am afraid they would not last longer than the NT05. Someone drove them only 300 km on the track with a Porsche...

I must admit that really I drive the car at the limit
Old 09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Vetter Atl
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree the GY F1 is a darn good street/track tire. I ran 120 laps one day and 65 another day on a very short and twisty track in 95 deg temps and they stuck like my toyo r compounds. Yes, they were destroyed after 200+ laps, but so would any other tire I have used. Carbotech XP 10 pads held up very nice to same abuse.

Plus its cool to kick peoples a55es on stock tires!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetter Atl
I agree the GY F1 is a darn good street/track tire. I ran 120 laps one day and 65 another day on a very short and twisty track in 95 deg temps and they stuck like my toyo r compounds. Yes, they were destroyed after 200+ laps, but so would any other tire I have used. Carbotech XP 10 pads held up very nice to same abuse.

Plus its cool to kick peoples a55es on stock tires!
Thanks for sharing.

The GY lasted me only 7000 km including a 300 km track day. I make some drift and hardcore road drive.

I wonder how the new Michelin ZP will be on the track. Any feed back yet ?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:55 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

no track feedback on the new ZPs, but street feedback from one owner says better grip than GYs.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

This is kind of a crazy subject.

First off, one should expect the NT05 to wear much more quickly than the GYF1 and a hell of a lot more quickly than the General. The General is practically a Camry tire.

If you wanna bomb everyone on track days and be the fastest out there, get the NT05. If you just want to learn the course and save some $$, go with higher treadwear tires. It really depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

I don't think HPDE on slicks vs a decent street tire really matters, the former is just spending more money for marginally more thrills. YOU ARE NOT COMPETING!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

300 KM ( 180 miles) that is ALOT for a pseudo R compound.

if you want MORE mileage go back to the GYs or Mich PS2s

you wont like any ZP or run flat on a road course. Tire is too hard.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with NT05 has been excellent after four track days almost always 95 degree weather. Very good grip and even wear. Just my 2 cents worth. They will be on my car again when these are done. Not two weeks ago four of us around here with C6Z were in agreement these turned out to be great. I will share this thread with them, interesting!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM
patABQ
Instructor

The NT-05 is excellent. Excellent wear and traction. I consinsitantly passed race cars on slicks (instructors). Less than half the tire wore in over 3 hours on track. I have run every type of tire from street crap, including the horrible GY, to race slicks. The NT-05 is as good as any street tire and better than any DOT race tire of 10 years ago. I reach over 1.1g SUSTAINED (not the peak on the G meter - that meter is maxed).
Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was consistenly 3sec faster on the NT05 compared to the GY.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
0Corvettes of Dallas - Parts
Former Vendor

Interesting....All I can say is + things about my NT05's, I'm about to buy another pair!

Since I have been daily driving my Z with the NT05's, they have lost grip over time because of "heat cycling" but otherwise I think they are 5 times better than the stockers.

-Adam

Corvettes of Dallas
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Conventional wisdom is generally that too high a tire pressure wears out the center of the tire and too low wears out the edges. However, another forum member had a similar wear issue while autocrossing and was advised by Nitto to go UP to 40 psi.

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I can speak from experience. If you go with that temp you will experience excessive wear on the tread between the two grooves. I used ~31 psi for two autocross weekends and was seeing a lot of wear in this area. I contacted Nitto and asked them about the wear issues I was seeing...and they told me to run them at 40psi Hot. I used this at a HPD event and the wear was much more minor.
I started out with hot pressures at about 40 psi, but after some trial and error found that 36 psi Front and 35psi Rear (hot) gave me a tread wear pattern right at the "arrows" on the shoulders of the NT-05s. And so far the wear on these tires has been fairly even over 3 events.

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto NT05 bad track experience vs GY F1 vs General UHP

Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Haven't had mine on the track but they sure grip around hard corners and canyons.

I will PM Stano he tracks them to see what he says ..... he is very fast with them

DH
Old 09-28-2009, 11:58 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Especially in turns with stutter bumps. The 05s seem to be smoother and don't cause the rear to step out. More confidence inspiring than the GYs.

May I add. For road use they are also very quiet.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
This is kind of a crazy subject.

First off, one should expect the NT05 to wear much more quickly than the GYF1 and a hell of a lot more quickly than the General. The General is practically a Camry tire.

If you wanna bomb everyone on track days and be the fastest out there, get the NT05. If you just want to learn the course and save some $$, go with higher treadwear tires. It really depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

I don't think HPDE on slicks vs a decent street tire really matters, the former is just spending more money for marginally more thrills. YOU ARE NOT COMPETING!
I could really compare on a long and very fast curve as well as all the curves with my car on NT05 and my brother with GY and I could not take any advantage on the GY, believe me I tried it many times during all sessions. The NT05 is definitely not faster than the GY !

Do not criticize too much the General UPH because I could also compare them on the track together with my brother on his GY. These are not slow, maybe 0.1 second per km track. Finaly these are maybe the best ratio treadwear/performance/price of the market and I really consider to buy them again. I know many people will even not think to try them because they believe they are just too cheap to be good.

Last edited by blackrockets; 09-29-2009 at 02:38 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Nitto NT05 bad track experience vs GY F1 vs General UHP