Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech spoiler only - upset car's balance??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
CodeBlueZO6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Katech spoiler only - upset car's balance??

I'm looking to add some carbon fiber goodness with Katech's new spoiler. I don't plan on adding the front spoiler b/c I'm concerned with scraping issues.

My question is, if I do this alone (without the front splitter) will it upset tHe balance of the car possibly making high speeds more unstable?

TIA !
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as you stay under 120 you probably won't feel a thing.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:57 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good question...I would think that it would cause a little lift in the front which might get a bit scary at 140+ mph.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

You're to be commended for thinking first, and modding later - if at all.

Ask yourself this: what did the factory do when they added a larger spoiler to the back on the ZR1? They added a substantial splitter to the front.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:21 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Katech posted a whole bunch of charts showing what happens when various combinations of their aero pieces are attached - see if you can find it and it may answer your question with more precision.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

my rf gets light in the front above 145....not quite a zr1 spoiler but very close...
Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by CodeBlueZO6
I'm looking to add some carbon fiber goodness with Katech's new spoiler. I don't plan on adding the front spoiler b/c I'm concerned with scraping issues.

My question is, if I do this alone (without the front splitter) will it upset tHe balance of the car possibly making high speeds more unstable?

TIA !
If you're just using it on the street you will be fine. If you plan on doing some high speed runs you should consider the front splitter and undertray. The splitter doesn't hang much lower than stock and if you are careful scraping is not an issue. See my thread here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-splitter.html

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with Jason. What you hear scraping is the air dam. The air dam adds front lift. I took mine off, reduced front end lift and the splitter almost never scrapes.

Jim
Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 PM
ranger1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do they have an air dam? Will hurt my car if I take mine off?

Thanks,
Garry
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ranger1

Thanks,
Garry
Depends. The air dam pushes air into the front brake cooling holes. If you track the car you will want to get a lot of cooling to the front brakes. If you just drive the car on the street you won't have any issues and it won't scrape as much. There are a lot of other better options, in my opinion, than the air dam to get cooling air to the front brakes. Just my 2 cents.

It is nothing to take it off. Take it off and try it. If you don't like it you can always put it back on. My bet is once you take it off you won't put it back on.

Jim
Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Painrace
I agree with Jason. What you hear scraping is the air dam. The air dam adds front lift. I took mine off, reduced front end lift and the splitter almost never scrapes.

Jim

Bob / Katech #29
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 AM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ranger1

Thanks,
Garry
the air dam also feeds air to the radiator. if you divert air away with a splitter of a tray you may need to improve your cooling ( esp at the track)
I put the full legenth Chevy spoiler on the back and an LGM vented hood in the front to bleed off some air pressure ( and vent heat) in the front. At VIR I noticed less lift on the back straightaway (at 145+)
Old 12-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by danbo56
the air dam also feeds air to the radiator. if you divert air away with a splitter of a tray you may need to improve your cooling ( esp at the track)
I put the full legenth Chevy spoiler on the back and an LGM vented hood in the front to bleed off some air pressure ( and vent heat) in the front. At VIR I noticed less lift on the back straightaway (at 145+)
Your Z06 is different than mine then. Although there is a hole just in front of and below the radiator my car has that hole blocked off. I believe if that hole is open you will actually have air coming into the cool air intake and then taking the least path of resistance and out the hole rather than through the coolers. Most racers learned years ago to take the air in the front of the car and then force it through the radiators and coolers.

It takes five minutes to take the air dam off. Take it off and try it. You will see a markable reduction in front end lift and the car will handle much better. Then, if for some reason you don't like it you can put the air dam back on.

I also suggest you check and if you don't have the hole below and just before the rediator blocked you try blocking it and I bet you will increase cooling.

I agree with the vented hood. It will improve front down force and improve cooling.

Jim
Old 12-18-2009, 10:12 AM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danbo56

While true for the coupe that is not true for the Z06. There is no bottom breathing in the Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech spoiler only - upset car's balance??

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech spoiler only - upset car's balance??