Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Bartec Trackside TPMS tool discontinued. Should we carry the Bartec Tech300?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Bartec Trackside TPMS tool discontinued. Should we carry the Bartec Tech300?

The Bartec Trackside TPMS programmer has been discontinued by Bartec. They are no longer producing them. The next tool in their lineup is the Tech300 which can be seen here http://www.bartecusa.com/wheelrite_tech300.htm. We are considering carrying this tool in our online store if there is enough interest. Price is $349.99.

We want to know if there is interest enough in this tool to carry it in our inventory. Please provide your feedback in this thread.

Thank you

Here is a excerpt from the bulletin Bartec sent to dealers:
Due to lack of overall demand for the WRT Trackside tool Bartec USA has discontinued this product offering to all Authorized distributors. As of December 1st. 2009 all inventory and stock on this item have been depleted to zero.

It was our intent to continue supplying this product through the first part of 2010 but we are unable to secure lower volumes of supplied components at a reasonable cost.

The success of the TRACKSIDE program proves that the need for low end tools that are specific to a small class of vehicles can be viable. We are looking forward to 2010 and we hope to target other niche markets with the same results as the WHEELWRITE TRACKSIDE.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 12-18-2009, 12:40 PM
songman3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Bartec Tech 300 tool. I have been using it for over a year and can thoroughly recommend it.

I bought it because I was having problems with tire pressure sensors on the Z06 - one failed and a tire fitter ruined another one.

I live over 250 miles from the nearest GM dealer and none of the local tire shops here have this type of tool.

The Bartec tool has more than paid for itself in terms of fuel costs and time and hassle traveling back and forth to get the new sensors reprogrammed to the ECU.

When working with a second 'track' set of wheels and tires, the tool is invaluable for reprogramming sensors back and forth with the minimum of fuss.

I chose the Tech 300 over the basic tool, because it was 'a once and for all' addition to my tool kit.

TPMS are becoming more and more common on cars and the Tech 300 is a real professional piece of gear, which I can reprogram and upgrade over the Internet to cope with any future car I might own which uses TPMS.

It has performed flawlessly with the Z06 - it is well made and well presented with a comprehensive spec.
Well worth the money
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hi Jason

Thanks for your support to forum members for providing the Trackside at a good price - sorry to hear it's not going to be available anymore.

I already have a TPMS tool, so I won't need to buy one from you, but my feeling is that forum members would much rather get the ATEQ VT10 for $105 or a TIPS tool for around $90 than pay $350 for the Tech 300. For around that $350 price you can get an OTC 3833 on eBay that has a screen that can give you real good diagnostic info.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think the 2010 model year Vettes have a different sensor that doesn't even require a tool. I believe that they can be triggered by changing the tire pressure with no need for a tool - just a compressor to pump them back up after you program new sensors.

I have used the Bartec Tech 300 (or rather the exact same tool marketed by Schrader that you can see in the pictures below).

The Tech 300 has some very desirable features that the Trackside (or other low-level tools such as the ATEQ VT10) do not have.

You can do better diagnostics with it - you can see in the pictures that you can hook it up to your computer to get some info about the sensors. This would be a very good feature if you're a tire shop. You could do a diagnostic scan of the sensors prior to ever working on the tires as a CYA - i.e., before starting a job you could check to make sure that if a sensor is bad you can tell the customer before you start working so you don't get blamed for damaging it when installing new tires.

The Tech 300 is also upgradeable. You can use the same USB connector to download new software to the tool when new sensors come out with new/different communication protocols in the future. The Trackside and the VT10 can't be upgraded. Again, the upgrade feature would mostly be of interest to a tire or automotive repair shop.

So....the Tech 300 is a great tool, but I think a C6 owner would do just as well with the much cheaper tools available for around $100.

If you could get a distributorship for the ATEQ VT10 and offer it to forum members for a few bucks less than they sell it themselves or through Tire Rack ($105), I think a low-level and inexpensive tool like that would be what forum members would like most.

Bob

Below are pictures of a Schrader tool (exact same tool as the Bartec Tech 300) hooked up to my computer to show the capabilities. The first picture shows how the tool appears on your computer as another drive:

After you double-click on the drive icon and then the IE icon in the window, you get the page below that shows a bunch of info about the sensors:

Old 12-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doubt to many people are willing to spend that much for a tool, especially with the $100 Ateq out there. I was fortunate to grab a Schrader/300 tool from BEZO6 Bob when he had a spare for not much more than the Trackside. Nice tool, and get's lot's of use since all 08' cars forward need it for a simple wheel rotation. Eat's batteries though, and found it likes rechargable NiMh jobs rated at 9.6 volts from internet battery places, rather than the 8.4 volt one's from drug stores. Pretty sure the rapid pressure drop proceedure already work's for current model's, but a real pain. You've only got so much time to work with in the programming mode, then have to re-inflate. The tool can also check if the sensor's are functional outside of programming mode, which is most valuable. Only way to go.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I am interested in another tool for around $100 or so if you start selling them.

Jim
Old 12-18-2009, 04:28 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Painrace
I am interested in another tool for around $100 or so if you start selling them.

Jim
$100 works for me too...

Get notified of new replies

To Bartec Trackside TPMS tool discontinued. Should we carry the Bartec Tech300?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bartec Trackside TPMS tool discontinued. Should we carry the Bartec Tech300?