Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dealership damaged the rims on ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 PM
DakotaVette
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Dealership damaged the rims on ZO6

Well, it is hard to believe, but here I am locked in a losing battle with my local dealership. About a month ago I purchased a new set of tires for my ZO6 from Gateway Chevrolet in Fargo, ND. When I first got the car back, the rims had brake dust on them and I did not pay much attention to them. However, a couple weeks later I was cleaning the car up to put away for winter and was cleaning the rims and filling the tires with air since the dealership did not fill all of them to the correct pressure when I noticed a mark on one of the rims. This was the first rim that I had cleaned so I quickly wiped off the other rims and discovered marks/damage on all of them. Most of the marks were white and the rims are dark grey. I immediately called the dealer and took the car in for them to look at. The service manager looked the rims over and said they did not look that bad and in fact, it looked like I had tried to touch some of the damage up. Remember, the rims are dark grey, but the touchup paint that was used was black. Basically, someone at the dealership used black paint in an attempt to touch up a couple of the bigger gouges. I told the service manager that I would not touch up a couple of the marks and then bring the car in to show them the damage and besides, I have the correct dark grey touchup paint. Anyway, the dealer’s solution is to "touchup" the damage, but said they would not take the tires off the rims because they would just scratch them again!! I wrote a complaint e-mail to Chevrolet about the problem last week and today the rep called me to discuss the problem. She then called the dealership while I was on hold to get their side of the story. Needless to say, the service manager said the rims were already damaged when they got the car to put the tires on. The complaint rep basically said it was my word against the dealers and that they could not force the dealership to give me new rims, but that I should go in and let them touch the rims up. I do not want to ever set foot in that place again and told the complaint rep that I was done buying GM products. I guess the next step is some sort of legal action against the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have not had that happen to me, however when the Z goes back on the road next spring I will need to have all four tires replaced in order to get the car inspected. What happened to you is a big concern of mine. My wheels are in as new condition and I am worried about them being damaged when the tires are replaced. I'm thinking about taking some very good pics of each wheel before I have the tires replaced, so if something like this happens I will have proof of their condition. Be persistant and maybe someone will make it right for you. Good luck. Marc L.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:47 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man that has got to be the worst feeling ever. I would never do business with that dealership again, and spread the word. Dishonest people can never do honest work.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM
DakotaVette
Instructor

That is about all a person can do to protect your car. I would have never thought they would do that. I asked them about have machine that can do the mounting and of course was assured that it would be no problem. What gets me is that they have insurance for this type of thing and yet they deny doing the damage and Chev Cust Complaint Center tells me they are powerless to help. I plan to tell everyone in our club about the damage and the way I was treated. I just makes me sick that the whole thing has turned on me as if it is my problem.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Probably almost makes you want to sneak into their car lot late at night and ... never mind, totally sucks man.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 PM
awsum Z06
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me wanna cry when I hear stories like this, sorry to hear about the wheel damage.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:14 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I have always found it prudent to get the service manager to look over the car with you, agree there is no damage, and then have them write it on the paperwork before you release the car to them. You get a copy, they get a copy.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:18 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by foremaw
I have always found it prudent to get the service manager to look over the car with you, agree there is no damage, and then have them write it on the paperwork before you release the car to them. You get a copy, they get a copy.

That's exactly what I do if I have to go to the STEALER...I have them walk around the entire car, or if it's a tire problem, check ever wheel,or especialy if the car goes on there lift...I have them get down and look at the rocker panels to show them there is not a bit of damage anywhere. Then they sign on the work order that they checked the car out for any damageg what so ever...These are drastic steps because of some scum bag Stealerships!...
Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaVette
Well, it is hard to believe, but here I am locked in a losing battle with my local dealership. About a month ago I purchased a new set of tires for my ZO6 from Gateway Chevrolet in Fargo, ND. When I first got the car back, the rims had brake dust on them and I did not pay much attention to them. However, a couple weeks later I was cleaning the car up to put away for winter and was cleaning the rims and filling the tires with air since the dealership did not fill all of them to the correct pressure when I noticed a mark on one of the rims. This was the first rim that I had cleaned so I quickly wiped off the other rims and discovered marks/damage on all of them. Most of the marks were white and the rims are dark grey. I immediately called the dealer and took the car in for them to look at. The service manager looked the rims over and said they did not look that bad and in fact, it looked like I had tried to touch some of the damage up. Remember, the rims are dark grey, but the touchup paint that was used was black. Basically, someone at the dealership used black paint in an attempt to touch up a couple of the bigger gouges. I told the service manager that I would not touch up a couple of the marks and then bring the car in to show them the damage and besides, I have the correct dark grey touchup paint. Anyway, the dealer’s solution is to "touchup" the damage, but said they would not take the tires off the rims because they would just scratch them again!! I wrote a complaint e-mail to Chevrolet about the problem last week and today the rep called me to discuss the problem. She then called the dealership while I was on hold to get their side of the story. Needless to say, the service manager said the rims were already damaged when they got the car to put the tires on. The complaint rep basically said it was my word against the dealers and that they could not force the dealership to give me new rims, but that I should go in and let them touch the rims up. I do not want to ever set foot in that place again and told the complaint rep that I was done buying GM products. I guess the next step is some sort of legal action against the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem?
I am sorry to hear that!!! No question that they should work with you to get that right.
To be honest though, the runflat tires are a bear to remove and replace. I have seen a shop CUT one off before as it would not give enough to come off. I have a guy I pay $50. a corner to do mine. He is VERY careful and it is worth the money!!!!
As far as Chevy dealers go, my car has been damaged in some fashion 3 times at the dealership!!!! They simply do not care!!!!
Goodluck!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:28 AM
rjb48
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain but, you should give the dealer the chance to rectify. Your refusal to give them a chance to correct will not be in your favor if legal action is necessary.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:38 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rjb48
I feel your pain but, you should give the dealer the chance to rectify. Your refusal to give them a chance to correct will not be in your favor if legal action is necessary.

That's funny considering they tried to cover up there F**up with black touch up paint on dark grey rims...
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
Very sage advise.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is one of the biggest problems that GM has -> the huge variability that exists in the service departments. This kind of service drives sales to foreign car dealerships. On the other hand, my GMC/Chevrolet/Buick/Pontiac dealer is excellent (Dominion Short Pump in Richmond).

Hope you can get this resolved.

Jim
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM
DakotaVette
Instructor

The dealership's solution is to touch up the rims. The service manager said they would not take the tires off to do this because "they would put the same marks on the rims again." I assume that since the rims are probably powdercoated, taking a brush and doing touchups is going to end up not looking good and would probably flake off later. If I could figure out how to post a couple of the pictures I took, you would see what I am talking about.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I am paranoid letting anyone but Discount Tire touch my wheels. They always have the best equipment and well trained employees. It sounds like your dealer has an older tire machine. The new tire machine stands the wheel up vertical and never touch the edges.
Sorry for your loss, but I think the 2-month wait is going to bite you, even in court.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:16 PM
DakotaVette
Instructor

I put a couple of pictures of the rims that I took with my phone and put them in my Corvette photos, pending approval. You will be able to see what I am talking about and these are just part of the damage.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaVette
The dealership's solution is to touch up the rims. The service manager said they would not take the tires off to do this because "they would put the same marks on the rims again." I assume that since the rims are probably powdercoated, taking a brush and doing touchups is going to end up not looking good and would probably flake off later. If I could figure out how to post a couple of the pictures I took, you would see what I am talking about.
It's paint, and very thin paint it is...not powdercoat..that's part of the reason why it chips and scratches so easily when taking off or mounting tyres. If they have a chip fixer guy doing the job, it will most likely come out looking pretty good...for wheels that is.

Originally Posted by Vito.A
I am paranoid letting anyone but Discount Tire touch my wheels. They always have the best equipment and well trained employees. It sounds like your dealer has an older tire machine. The new tire machine stands the wheel up vertical and never touch the edges.
Sorry for your loss, but I think the 2-month wait is going to bite you, even in court.
I have had dealers take tyres off my C5 polished wheels and the lips are ruined. Of course, dealer won't do anything about it...

Find someone with a "no touch" machine or an experienced guy that will take the time to get those tyres mounted the right way. Worth the extra time and trouble.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership damaged the rims on ZO6

Old 12-23-2009, 02:44 PM
DakotaVette
Instructor

I will probably end up doing the painting myself or getting a friend that builds hot rods do it for me. I should have bought the tires from him. He has one of those new tire mounting machines that will not do any damage and he is honest. I just tried to save a few hundred dollars since he could not match the price at the dealership and told me so.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Always check your car over BEFORE you leave the dealership. This should be everyone's practice. Not every dealer out there is trustworthy and some are right out idiots and liars. Fortunately, my dealer has ALWAYS treated me correctly.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
This is one of the biggest problems that GM has -> the huge variability that exists in the service departments. This kind of service drives sales to foreign car dealerships. On the other hand, my GMC/Chevrolet/Buick/Pontiac dealer is excellent (Dominion Short Pump in Richmond).

Hope you can get this resolved.

Jim
The foreign car dealerships are owned by the same people and give the same service. Changing brands does not guarantee a good dealership. An owner that respects his Customers will treat them the same at all of his dealerships while one who does not respect his Customers will treat the same way at all of his dealerships. Doesn't matter which brand. If you got good service from a foriegn brand dealer you just hit it lucky same as with a GM dealer.

Bill

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dealership damaged the rims on ZO6