Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LOUDER/MEANER ??: muffler mod VS B&B fusions ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 PM
CodeBlueZO6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LOUDER/MEANER ??: muffler mod VS B&B fusions ?

....BOTH WHEN OPEN.
I keep going back and forth between the two. I read great reviews/posts on both. I'm just looking for an improved/louder/meaner sound with the ability to tune in down on the highway. I'm just having a hard time thinking $2k is worth a SOUND. IF I was to get increased performance (that is noticable) maybe it would be easier. Need some advice. Getting antsy to do something within the next week.

Thanks!

Last edited by CodeBlueZO6; 12-27-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take your time. Try and listen to various systems and ride in the car if you can. Biggest problem is drone.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:58 PM
CodeBlueZO6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in my area (ATL) who has the two exhausts.
Which drones worse? I've been reading the modded muffler doesn't drone when closed while the B&B does some when closed.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 AM
CWW17
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was absolutely blown away by the sound of the modded mufflers. Cost a total of $80 and rivals any cat-back system. When closed, completely silent, just like stock. Open them up, and it absolutely roars! Its not a cheap alternative, its exactly the way the car should've sounded and been setup from the factory. There is minimal drone when open at cruising speeds, so little that I rarely, if ever, close it. It sounds amazing and is also still completely reversible. Really the best of both worlds.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 AM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CodeBlueZO6
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in my area (ATL) who has the two exhausts.
Which drones worse? I've been reading the modded muffler doesn't drone when closed while the B&B does some when closed.
That is correct. Muffer mod is louder when open. I have done both.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 AM
ZOSic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys im in the market for an exhaust system and im so lost between Corsa and the B&B

reason why i love B&B is sound but hate the drone everyone is talkin about

reason why i love the corsa is no drone but doesnt sound as good as the Corsa

i'll be installing a AR headers too so help guys ppl with those 2 exhausts some feedback plz
Old 12-28-2009, 10:39 AM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z0sic,

without headers, I love the corsa. With headers, I like my exhaust to have the option (butterfly valve). Weather it be the stock exhaust or B&B. I had the corsal before installed headers & love it. But once the header was installed, the corsa had to go so I went back to stock.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 PM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The B & B fusion is one of the highest quality exhaust systems I have ever seen or put on a car. The sound is every bit as good as the looks, but it will drone at a steady 2000 to 2500 rpm. They all do to some extent. If I want a nice quiet ride, I jump in my wife's 07 vert. However, every once in a while...........OK, maybe a lot more often, you really want to hear those ponies scream.

By the way, my buddy also did the B & B, then went ahead with Kooks headers, Katech cam kit, tune, etc, and the dyno showed 2 more HP with the mufflers closed vs. open. Now you ought to hear his exhaust with the mods......sounds like the proverbial 800 lb gorilla. You can actually feel the pounding in your chest.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:38 PM
J@WheelsBoutique
Supporting Vendor

Do the CORSA. I had them in my Z06 with Kooks Headers w/o cats.. no drone with an intoxicating sound.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:46 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I've done both also. Liked the mod sound, but like the looks and sound even more with the Fusions.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:50 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CWW17
I was absolutely blown away by the sound of the modded mufflers. Cost a total of $80 and rivals any cat-back system. When closed, completely silent, just like stock. Open them up, and it absolutely roars! Its not a cheap alternative, its exactly the way the car should've sounded and been setup from the factory. There is minimal drone when open at cruising speeds, so little that I rarely, if ever, close it. It sounds amazing and is also still completely reversible. Really the best of both worlds.
Completely satisfied by the $250. mod. You Tube Clips dont do any system justice. Worst you can be is out the $250.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by klasik-69
The B & B fusion is one of the highest quality exhaust systems I have ever seen or put on a car. The sound is every bit as good as the looks, but it will drone at a steady 2000 to 2500 rpm. They all do to some extent. If I want a nice quiet ride, I jump in my wife's 07 vert. However, every once in a while...........OK, maybe a lot more often, you really want to hear those ponies scream.

By the way, my buddy also did the B & B, then went ahead with Kooks headers, Katech cam kit, tune, etc, and the dyno showed 2 more HP with the mufflers closed vs. open. Now you ought to hear his exhaust with the mods......sounds like the proverbial 800 lb gorilla. You can actually feel the pounding in your chest.
You do realize that the valves open after 3500rpm anyway, right? So if he picked up 2hp, it's a fluke.

I have modified Z06 mufflers on my (with a big *** cam in the car and catless headers), and the guy who did mine said the Z06 mufflers are quieter when closed and louder when open than Fusions. There's a local guy with an extremely similar setup to me, except he has Fusions, and his car was the comparison. Personally I love how mine sounds with the modded mufflers... but if you have a stock cam, it's going to sound like a bass boat.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:03 PM
BobJ
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want loud/mean check out the LG GT4 cat-back. I also have the LG Pro long tubes, HF cats and X Pipe and it is LOUD!!!! The drone is pretty bad at low speeds and cruising at at 2,000 - 2,300 rpm's.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flareside
Personally, I think the Fusion sounds way better than the mod when open, but it also drones when closed. To me, the muffler mod sounds like what it cost, cheap. In fact, the sound is so hollow when transitioning from closed to open (when driving in the 2500-3500 rpm region) that I can't wait to remove it. Just not sure where to go next. The mod does sound good once open, but not as good as the Fusion. And it doesn't drone closed.

Anybody know of a way to disable the RPM based opening and closing so that it stays closed unless you hit the button? If I could do that, I might like it better.
Have Katech (#29) that with first go around installed Fusions on top of Stage 1 Katech - loved sound (old muscle car rumble) but yes did have some drone <2k. Second addition was kooks headers and high flow cats (had already installed LG switch on console). Drone <2k was really bad. Installed floor dynamat (better) but real improvement was adding Vortex inserts in outside exhausts tips. No performance changes (these are the "muffled" exhausts) and drone gone both open and closed. Do search in forum regarding these.

Bob
33036 / Katech # 29
Old 12-28-2009, 05:16 PM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you decide to go with the mod, then post up where you had it done. I am thinking about doing the same, but I don't know where to have it done, or if I would just go with a different setup.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 PM
smartdoggystl
Instructor

Originally Posted by CWW17

Please explain what the modded muffler consists of for a total cost of $80? 2 benefits i see - low cost and easily reversible

thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 05:29 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by smartdoggystl
Please explain what the modded muffler consists of for a total cost of $80? 2 benefits i see - low cost and easily reversible

thanks
Information is located in the DIY section of the forum.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...iy-thread.html

Get notified of new replies

To LOUDER/MEANER ??: muffler mod VS B&B fusions ?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:43 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlueZO6
....BOTH WHEN OPEN.
I keep going back and forth between the two. I read great reviews/posts on both. I'm just looking for an improved/louder/meaner sound with the ability to tune in down on the highway. I'm just having a hard time thinking $2k is worth a SOUND. IF I was to get increased performance (that is noticable) maybe it would be easier. Need some advice. Getting antsy to do something within the next week.

Thanks!
I am in the same boat. I am going muffler mod and the worst case scenario is that I buy the BB fusion later on if I don't like the sound. everyone I hear loves the muffler mod though so I am confident I will like it. I plan to spend the fusion money on some Pfadt coilovers

I got quoted 200 to get the job done. I don't have a lift so has anyone done this mod with jack stands, or should I stop being cheap and pay the 2 hundred. I don't weld but can have a friend weld.

PS, the fusion definitely wins in the "looks" category....nice looking set of pipes
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by smartdoggystl

thanks
If you're in St. Louis, I know somebody who will do it. They did it to mine during a clutch swap. It's not really reversible, though, depending on how you do it. There's the option of adding a switch to open the mufflers any time you want, but everybody here is talking about cutting them open to do some internal changes.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:28 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man just do this, it is perfect: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-ing-loud.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] LOUDER/MEANER ??: muffler mod VS B&B fusions ?