Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 frame problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:11 PM
godsspeeds
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 frame problem

Hello,

I am new here but have owned many Corvettes. My 08' Z06 was in an accident. It was hit on the pass. side front corner. The local body shop says there is front frame damage. While I was inspecting the vehicle I noticed the deck lid on the drivers side is about 1/2-3/4" lower than the rear fender so, it appears there is a twist. My question is: Can this acutually be repaired with the aluminum frame twisted? Also, would you feel safe driving this vehicle after the repair?

Thanks!!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:19 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

With the kind of damage you describe, it sounds like the car should have been totaled...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM
godsspeeds
5th Gear

That is what I keep telling my insurance company..............I found 8 other Z06's on the internet with less damage than mine that were being offered as salvage vehicles. Any advice on how to persuade the insurance company??
Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by godsspeeds
That is what I keep telling my insurance company..............I found 8 other Z06's on the internet with less damage than mine that were being offered as salvage vehicles. Any advice on how to persuade the insurance company??
Maybe they will total it after the repair estimate comes in. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 PM
godsspeeds
5th Gear

Does anyone know how I might contact any of the engineers at GM?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any frame can be repaired. The question is, will the car ever be the same after the repair? In the case of corvettes, most cars will never be the same. Since the suspension is so stiff, the frame must be super strong to handle all the stress put on it when travelling on uneven surfaces. The end result will be a car with reduced frame strength, and lots of noises whenever going over bumps, driveways, etc. Very annoying - something I had do deal with before...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Find the best, top notch repair facility in your area; the one with the Bentleys and Aston Martins parked in the lot and have them do an estimate on your car. They should know how to deal (or not deal) with aluminum frame damage and will quote accordingly. If their estimate is too high, the insurance company will total the car. That is the only way to communicate with them, begging and pleading won't help.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
godsspeeds
5th Gear

Thanks for the info.......you guys are great!!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:56 AM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Find the best, top notch repair facility in your area; the one with the Bentleys and Aston Martins parked in the lot and have them do an estimate on your car. They should know how to deal (or not deal) with aluminum frame damage and will quote accordingly. If their estimate is too high, the insurance company will total the car. That is the only way to communicate with them, begging and pleading won't help.
Yep, he's right. You can take the car where ever you like. Most insurance companies could care less.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Default I've been there

A good questin is this your insurance company or a different party ins. If it is your ins. company, you have a much better chance of getting what you want. A certified Audi shop is one of your best bets if you are going to have it repaired. They specialize in aluminum repair. From what you describe, I think the insurance company will declare it a total. If that is what you want, let the insurance company know you are concerned about the repair coming out right. Let them know you are one fussy SOB. Sometimes the insurance companies will rather declare it a total than to be obligate to keep repairing the car until it is right. Just bring it in to get the estimate. If the chassis is damaged it will most likely result in a branded title which will destroy resale value.

Personally, I most likely would'nt want that car back.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Tom
Old 01-19-2010, 08:48 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

the frame can be repaired properly...just takes someone trained properly...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
the frame can be repaired properly...just takes someone trained properly...

It's a bit of a gamble to expect the car to be "as good as new" when that kind of damage is repaired, even by a reputable shop...

The other part of the equation is the the the value of the car is sharply decreased with that kind of damage.

I'm sure after a fair estimate, the car will be a total.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by godsspeeds
...would you feel safe driving this vehicle after the repair?
No.

Solely on what you've described, the car really should've been totaled.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett

It's your right to demand where the car gets fixed. Find the most high end repair shop and tell them to go to town with the quote then give the insurance company the ultimatum of totalling it or fix it. In the end I would drop the carrier and find someone that will treat you with respect.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
From C6ZO62C8
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Make sure you take it to a shop affiliated with your insurance company, that way anything not done to your satisfaction you will have the ins. company on your side, if the shop can't get it right you can choose any shop in the network to do corrective repairs.

and if they can't get it right they have to buy it back.

frame sold in sections, if can't be repaired, but if it is diamond, must replace entire frame. Ask for a computer print out of the frame.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Larry T
Racer

...anyone who is aircraft or NASA certified as an aluminum welder and worth his salt can do a great job on frame rework...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Remember we are talking about a body on frame car and not a unibody car like the ones mentioned in this thread. One of the advantages the Vette has is the ability to replace the entire frame (this could be expensive but can be done) or parts of the frame. Can't do that with the unibody cars that make up most of the vehicles on the road today.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 frame problem

Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 AM
veech
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It can be Fixed!
Sometimes it might not always be worth it to repair, but its only a car...
Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

GM has information available to bodyshops on what damage is repairable when dealing with the Z06/ZR1 aluminum frame. I disagree on going to some "exotic" car dealer. I would verify the shops knowledge of GM's own guidelines on repairing this frame and stick with them. I would not accept a insurance company recommended shop if they don't share with you this information or seem unwilling to get it.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 PM
godsspeeds
5th Gear

Well, I have utilized all the good information from the thread. My insurance company seems completely clueless on exotic cars.............. Shame on me, so, now I know what to look for in a new insurance carrier, if one is required. I need to know if there is someone who has been through this with their insurance company and how to proceed, what kind of rights I might or might not have or anything else that might help out the situation, maybe a good lawyer?? I am sorry I sound like a toddler on this but thank GOD this is the first accident I have ever been in since driving for 30 sum years. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 frame problem