Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PATCH or REPLACE tire ????

Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
CodeBlueZO6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default PATCH or REPLACE tire ????

I got a small nail in one of my rear Nitto NT-05's.

Is it safe to just patch the tire?
They have 1/2 tread left and would hate having to buy new tires.

Plus, I'm guessing if I replace it, I need to replace both rears to match it up.....true?

If I can patch, is it safe to road race it with a patch?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I did a full track day on a patched NT05 with no problems. However, I had it replaced as soon as I got back so I don't know how well a patch will hold up over lots of aggressive driving time.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Use search to get a recent thread on this subject.In short I did plug a front tire(drywall screw 2" in from side wall)If ya want the speed rating back you'll need to plug and patch.BTW mine is a street Z.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

.....patch......ok.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Paul_DC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlueZO6

Plus, I'm guessing if I replace it, I need to replace both rears to match it up.....true?

Thanks a bunch!
I am no tire expert, but I always heard that it is never a "safe" or "good" idea to patch a high performance tire due to the patch causing the tire to lose its speed rating. I also have the same belief that you need to always replace tires in at least sets of two (2 front or 2 back), but even that is when the tread remaining / life of the "old" tires are not that bad. Never mix brands and tire treads either.

Just food for thought.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_DC
I am no tire expert, but I always heard that it is never a "safe" or "good" idea to patch a high performance tire due to the patch causing the tire to lose its speed rating. I also have the same belief that you need to always replace tires in at least sets of two (2 front or 2 back), but even that is when the tread remaining / life of the "old" tires are not that bad. Never mix brands and tire treads either.

Just food for thought.
I agree about replacing tires in sets of 2, but I've run many different combinations of tires front to rear without ill effects...also have done 190mph on a plugged tire, but it wasn't for an extended period of time
Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a plug in it and don't worry. Plug is as good as a patch. Been doing it for years without any problems.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

I am no tire expert, but I always heard that it is never a "safe" or "good" idea to patch a high performance tire due to the patch causing the tire to lose its speed rating.

OTOH if the OP's not tracking and/or otheriwse driving the car at extreme speed? Patching's fine, he'll be good to go.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

your tires are junk...I will give you $ 100 to ship them both to me.

Seriously, just patch/plug it and you will be fine. I have done plenty of track events with many different tires w/patches/plugs. I have chorded tires and the plugs are down to the bone...the plug/patch was welded to the inside of the tire due to heat.

...but again, I will give you $ 100 delivered to KS if you think they are junk...gladly.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:15 PM
USMCFRC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skudlw
Put a plug in it and don't worry. Plug is as good as a patch. Been doing it for years without any problems.
Completely agree. I put a plug in my C5Z back in the day and it lasted 25,000+ miles (when I replaced the tires).
Old 02-04-2010, 05:26 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I've never had a problem with patched tires. Got a screw in one of my Invos the day after I put them on the car, plugged it with my roadside kit and took it to have it patched. Ran for a couple of days with no loss of pressure from the plug kit, but patched it anyway to be 100% sure. I had the roadhazard warranty, so it was no charge to patch it.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 107 Likes on 43 Posts

Small nail hole...like everyone else said, plug and patch. But be carefull if it is near the sidewall. I've tracked my first Z06 with 2 nail holes plugged and patched in the same rear tire.

Tom
Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlueZO6

Thanks a bunch!
I plugged mr rear tire on my Z with 1K miles on it. Have done 5 track days, and not a single issue at all.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:46 PM
turbo raptor
Instructor

patch it dont plug it the plug is liable to come out esp the rear because of spinning
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Just food for thought.
The GY EMTs
That is generally true. Some tires such as the GY EMTs can be patched and maintain their speed rating if the proper procedure is followed. I imagine plugging the tire yourself doesn't follow the procedure defined by the manufacturer. However, if you lose the speed rating on a Z-- Y rated tire and you are doing nothing but highway driving that probably isn't an issue. There are thousands of L (75 mph) rated tires running around our highways at this moment so I doubt running a Z--Y tire that has its rating degraded on a Vette is a real issue. At the worst it might drop its rating to 75 mph. How many trucks and SUVs have you seen tooling along at speeds above that with L rated tires?

Will a patched Z rated tire hold up to the speeds achieved at most track events? Probably since the speeds rarely get over 130 on most tracks. Speeds will reach 150 to 160 on the longer ones but can a plugged Z--Y rated tire handle those speeds since it was designed for 186 mph. Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on how much the speed rating is degraded and that is an unknown.

Bill
Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 107 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo raptor
patch it dont plug it the plug is liable to come out esp the rear because of spinning
The proper procedure is to use a plug(not the type you shoot in with an air tool) to fill the whole, AND a patch. The local GY shop said the OEM tires will retain it's speed rating when done properly(both plug and patch). Maybe different manufactures will say different.

I have been on track over 150mph with the patch and plugged OEM rear tire. After watching my highly experience tire shop make the repair I wasn't concerned at all. There is no way that small nail hole was going to hurt the tire, and no way in hell that repair was coming apart.

Tom

Last edited by Z Fast; 02-04-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo raptor
I "burned off" my old tires with a plug till they were bald and it didn't come out

Get notified of new replies

To PATCH or REPLACE tire ????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] PATCH or REPLACE tire ????